Old 03-18-2015, 06:40 AM   #26
cardude01
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Mast is on a tabernacle" ,,although your rig will be 100% larger , I would install a tabernacle too.

The ability to unrig the stick would be best for coastal work, and the Loop.

Full sailing ability (ghosting) will not be required , so I would look for a used rig .

Smaller than stock will be OK for your intended use. In the Windwards 15K is common and its a reach.

For Get Home use ,( For the sq rt of the LWL speeds), a remarkable tiny amount of sail is required .

I was demoing a Wood Freeman AP on a Vagabond 46 ft boat and just the inner stay sail gave 6K , adding the main , fore stay sail and mizzen added speed , but only 1.5K

To have any windward sailing ability a better prop will be required as the drag is huge on a 3 blade.

Paul Luke makes props for motoring that feather , far more powerful underway than a prop made for a sail boat to power on occasion.

A 90/90 is a great way to cruise , the 1930s 50/50 is long dead as the early compromises need not be made.

AS a sail boat 10% is lost to the weight of the engine and drag of the prop.

As a motor boat 10% is lost to the space of the sails , the weight and air drag of the rig.

If you intend to actually sail, not just broad reach or wallow downwind , roller shade head sails wont cut it.

A fully battened main with broad dutch style headboard is the best mainsail made for cruising.

When headed into the wind the sail will not flap and tear it self apart.Very useful setting or sailing out the anchor , or motoring inshore following a channel.

Thanks for the info FF. I look forward to you looking over my boat when I get to your dock.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote