View Single Post
Old 03-17-2015, 04:39 PM   #1
cardude01
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Convert trawler to motorsailer?

I purchased a 2008 Island Packet PY Cruiser in November. The "cousin" to this boat is the SP Cruiser, which is the same boat but with a sail rig.

I bought my boat in a repo auction fairly cheap, probably because the PY doesn't have much of a following. I could turn my PY into an SP with a factory refit, and still be in the boat for 20% less than what like year model and equipped SPs are selling for now (actual sales prices from a brokers report-- not asking prices). Plus, the SPs seem to have more of a market since there are more of them.

My question is, is that worth doing? My longer range plans are to cruise the Caribbean, and if we actually do that then the refit seems to make sense for stability and get home ability, plus we can sail if we want to. If we don't make it to the Caribbean then it probably doesn't make sense.

My plan is to spend some time on the boat this summer cruising the Keys with my wife and see if the boat really fits us, and then maybe think harder about doing the refit after that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1426628270.557513.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	38362
The PY

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1426628326.009166.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	38363
The SP