Would you shoot one down for invading your privacy ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roguewave

Guru
Vessel Name
bout’ time
Vessel Make
Grady White 282 Sailfish
Soundings Online Mobile - Soundings Dispatches

A drone flying around my boat or in the anchorage I was staying would be a prime target for my air powered pellet gun... Heck I'd even use my Daisy BB gun to take one down. The interesting part, I believe it's perfectly legal.

I wouldn't shoot it unless I had something that can make a Big Bang, think .50 cal. Then again it wouldn't be wise to shoot a .50 caliber gun in a quaint anchorage...:D

They would make great skeet shoot, but would probably annoy the locals and draw too much attention. 410 ga. would be about right.

Soundings Online Mobile - Soundings Dispatches

A drone flying around my boat or in the anchorage I was staying would be a prime target for my air powered pellet gun... Heck I'd even use my Daisy BB gun to take one down. The interesting part, I believe it's perfectly legal.

What leads you to believe shooting at or shooting down a remote controlled drone that may or may not have a camera on it flying around in a open public anchorage would be "perfectly legal"?

How about this then ... :whistling:

cartoon11.jpg

Cut up 2 ft pieces of floating polly line gets rid of jet skis , why not a sling shot for other invaders?

I need a higher pressure wash down pump and the right nozzle. :socool:

Ted

While I agree that you may "feel" invaded, it is still free space and even if it does become illegal, you would be the one paying damages for property destruction.

If they are taking pictures of you..the guy flying it may have video of your counterattack.

I would say if the thing is close enough to have you stick an extended boat hook into its rotors, that may get you some sympathy from a judge unless it's good Ole boy country.

I would certainly side with any cruiser about undue annoyances in an anchorage, but I still think you would get yourself tangled up in something more stressful than the drone issue.

That said, let me get mine airborne to video and you tube your counterattack...:D

Last edited:
Potato tied to section of gill net shot from potato gun.

Last edited:
While I agree that you may "feel" invaded, it is still free space and even if it does become illegal, you would be the one paying damages for property destruction.

If they are taking pictures of you..the guy flying it may have video of your counterattack.

I would say if the thing is close enough to have you stick an extended boat hook into its rotors, that may get you some sympathy from a judge unless it's good Ole boy country.

I would certainly side with any cruiser about undue annoyances in an anchorage, but I still think you would get yourself tangled up in something more stressful than the drone issue.

That said, let me get mine airborne to video and you tube your counterattack...:D

Unless you're a celebrity or some nudity they can film, they're probably just headed to You Tube. Anything you do may just give them a better video with a hope of going viral, their whole intent. Unfortunately, when most laws were written, drones weren't anticipated. This tops getting on the highest hill and filming what goes on at the house below. The last thing I'm going to do is anything that might make them famous.

Where these fit within stalking laws is still to be determined. It does appear their use can be regulated, just very few places have laws to do so.

Last edited:
We need to exercise some reason here. There is no indication that destruction of property is 'Legal'. Based on the situation proposed, the operator is legally operating a drone in public space. The anchorage isn't your backyard (where you MIGHT have a legal stand for trespassing. If you are standing in your backyard, you already have a limited amount of privacy due simply to be standing in relative plain-sight.) Voyerism isn't really in play here unless the drone is peaking into your windows.

This would be like thowing rocks at cars as they drive by because the music is too loud. I don't see how that is legal in anyway.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not thrilled about the skies filled with drones or drones buzzing me, my boat or yard.

"This would be like thowing rocks at cars as they drive by because the music is too loud."

When we snowbird travel the biggest noise is the geezers on hogs with straight pipes.

Our answer is to toot a looooong blast with the air horn as they go by.

If they love noise so much , why not give them some more?

If you are standing in your backyard, you already have a limited amount of privacy due simply to be standing in relative plain-sight.) Voyerism isn't really in play here unless the drone is peaking into your windows.

And the drones do tend to try to see in the windows of large yachts.

But your point about homes is quite valid. There have been many cases over photos being taken and when you are outside your house you don't have an expectation of privacy. You sunbathe nude, that's the risk. There are certain limitations like privacy protected areas of the yard. Now this is where drones are a new problem. They can get shots from directly above.

There have been some relevant court rulings. For instance police have been found to not need search warrants for what can be seen by the naked eye and that has included drones 1000 feet above. Drones have become a frequently used tool for marijuana growing busts. The courts have also ruled that individual states can set laws. That's no different than certain areas setting laws on google earth and other such things and not allowing a zoom beyond a certain level. New Mexico has been a test state for a lot of drone
laws too. One interesting ruling said you had rights to the same about of vertical space above your property as the horizontal length of your property. However, many of the limits established have been based on safety and not privacy.

Technology has changed privacy tremendously. There are no secrets with everything published online. With camera phones you can be photographed anywhere. And now drones. You once felt you had privacy in your yard. It took us a while to get there, but ultimately my wife and I have decided not to worry about it. If we're naked and making love on the flybridge and you want to fly a helicopter overhead to see, then so be it. If the females are topless in our pool and you want to go to the trouble of being able to see with binoculars or telescopes or other means, then so be it. Fact is we're not famous so it's not going to get you a big payoff and is just legal voyeurism. I hope as more takes place the interest in it will diminish. At one time naked photos online were a huge thing, everyone run to see, there's a naked body, this is better than the Victorias Secret catalog. Now, they're everywhere so it's "big deal."

I think ultimately the FAA will set the regulations. Oh and for all of you who say for privacy in your home, draw your blinds or close your drapes, there's equipment available that will allow others to see right through and follow every movement. That's sad and what is sadder and more pathetic is that there are people who will do it. Go to any spy store and see how you feel when you leave knowing whats there. Long ago and in olden days, we had our house bugged by a government agency, fully with our knowledge and agreement. Sure made you realize though how easily it could be done by someone without your permission and you never know.

That silly little drone flew right into my boathook! That pilot really should be more careful next time.

hmm, who knew the darn things don't float.

I got news for everyone.....30+ years ago I was flying law enforcement officials all over the place in helicopters with night vision, IR, and super gyro stabilized lenses in perfect legal compliance.

We busted many an illegal fisherman, marijuana field, drug transaction, illegal marina, etc...etc....

Drones and military and law enforcement have been thoroughly reviewed for legal precedence. As the media has for prying into VIA situations. The NBA probably records or at least monitors your ever cell call.

Nothing new here...just the ability you have to prove the drone was a "peeping tom" versus the drone pilots claim to open domain.

The privacy issue will never be an FAA call.....if anything they will mandate they fly lower than kites.

Last edited:
That silly little drone flew right into my boathook! That pilot really should be more careful next time.

hmm, who knew the darn things don't float.
:thumb::D:thumb:

My personal definition of "peeping tom" is about the length easily reached by a 20 foot extended boathook.:socool:

Go fishing. Line with a 2 ounce bullet cast indescriminantly up in the air should do it! If the 'drone' can use the local air space, so can your fishing lure and mono. Once the guy sees that his 1000 dollar investment is threatened by your 1 dollar peice of lead and mono..... It will take care of itself.

Go fishing. Line with a 2 ounce bullet cast indescriminantly up in the air should do it! If the 'drone' can use the local air space, so can your fishing lure and mono. Once the guy sees that his 1000 dollar investment is threatened by your 1 dollar peice of lead and mono..... It will take care of itself.
I need to practice my fly casting anyway....I am sure it's a little rusty...:D

Get a spinning rod with a fair sized sinker, light test line, and go casting. If you don't hit it with the sinker, got a fair chance it will tangle in the line. Might even retrieve the thing.

It's called "fishing"!!

What leads you to believe shooting at or shooting down a remote controlled drone that may or may not have a camera on it flying around in a open public anchorage would be "perfectly legal"?

It may not be legal (who knows the laws are changing as we speak) but I'd take my chances anyway. Maybe I should be allowed to drive my R/C truck with the camera mounted on it around the park and look up ladies skirts :hide:

I got news for everyone.....30+ years ago I was flying law enforcement officials all over the place in helicopters with night vision, IR, and super gyro stabilized lenses in perfect legal compliance.

We busted many an illegal fisherman, marijuana field, drug transaction, illegal marina, etc...etc....

Drones and military and law enforcement have been thoroughly reviewed for legal precedence. As the media has for prying into VIA situations. The NBA probably records or at least monitors your ever cell call.

Nothing new here...just the ability you have to prove the drone was a "peeping tom" versus the drone pilots claim to open domain.

The privacy issue will never be an FAA call.....if anything they will mandate they fly lower than kites.

Reality is you may or may not be monitored. We are very familiar with their skills in that regard from a situation years ago where it was not secret but by choice.

Long long ago, I landed in Bogota on a business trip. The date was December 2, 1993. There sure was a lot of security. We couldn't pull in the drive to the hotel, but had to walk up from the street. The Colombian Army had just killed Pablo Escobar. Now there was no violence or problem as it turns out. His power had diminished over the years of prison and hiding. But it was the method of his capture that sounded like a fictional movie.

Joint US ops of Seals and Delta Force plus Centra Spike joined together and trained a Colombian force. From what I heard while Escobar was in hiding all phone calls in and out of the area were monitored looking for his voice. Apparently he avoided making calls. However, he'd sent his family to Germany for asylum and they were refused. He talked to his wife on the phone. Using triangulation they located him, moved in, and he ended up dead. I'm sure things are far more advanced than then, but on that date I realized that US forces had powers I'd never imagined.

Really much of it comes down to what you do. If you don't do anything wrong then you can think of it as protection. If you do something wrong, then it's to catch you. After some things we experienced, I assume everything we do is known. There was that time in the past where knowing their capabilities was extremely comforting.

It may not be legal (who knows the laws are changing as we speak) but I'd take my chances anyway. Maybe I should be allowed to drive my R/C truck with the camera mounted on it around the park and look up ladies skirts :hide:

But that is illegal. So you can't compare the two.

Someone is going to convert these hobbiest drones into hunter/killers. Probably already done.

This is going to get interesting...

Every time I read about this stuff, I want to buy one. Like I need another way to waste time...

Someone is going to convert these hobbiest drones into hunter/killers. Probably already done.

This is going to get interesting...

Every time I read about this stuff, I want to buy one. Like I need another way to waste time...

Yup! More Russian yoots!

What about another angle. Your are relaxing on your boat in your space, so go fly a kite! These objects have to share airspace, and if your kite line wraps around their rotor or prop, life happens.

I agree to an extent that they invade privacy and tend to be annoying since most operators I've seen fly under the concept that "everyone wants to see my drone up close". I like the technology and am quite impressed with how they are actually able to package the entire concept together for the price.

The FAA is going to take forever coming out with regulations. If they cared, they would have stepped in awhile ago. It offends me that I had to train and take an FAA knowledge and hands on exam to prove I have proper piloting skills. Any dub can swipe a credit card, charge the batteries, and fly into controlled airspace with one of these. Hard to do with a kite unless you are good standing on the big white line on the approach end holding the string :)

IMO, FAA should really impose some basic regs about lights, operating limits (like not within 200' of a vehicle, residence, or human being, etc.) and penalties for non-compliance. Oh yea...tail number anyone? If my plane requires them, so should theirs!

I guess it is no different than the RC scale aircraft. The key difference I would assume is that the large majority of operators actually built the plane probably wouldn't risk flying it close to something risky or want to lose hundreds of hours worth of labor.

Everyone's suggestions really open themselves up to liability. I personally would do some research on what the signal frequency looks like, figure out how to transmit on that band, and just blast it with some good ol' fashion noise. When it drops like a dead fly you just sit back and laugh. Who's got the coolest photon dagger now drone boy???

I personally would do some research on what the signal frequency looks like, figure out how to transmit on that band, and just blast it with some good ol' fashion noise. When it drops like a dead fly you just sit back and laugh.

That's actually probably the smartest suggestion here and for a techie should not be difficult to implement. The unit could combine a frequency search function and once the drone's control frequency was determined a jamming signal could be broadcast on that frequency to "blind" the drone from the control inputs it's getting.

While I don't fly RC aircraft I have a couple of friends who do, and they tell me that today's control units automatically search out the frequencies being used by other nearby flyers and select a different one for the airplane associated with that unit. So it sounds like the auto-detection function is being used now in the RC world.

Great idea of Mules'. Havent played with a potato gun in years. LOTS more fun than frequency hunting with gismos. Like the idea any way.... At least until I get one of those spy coptors of my own.!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom