Introducing the Winfreys, cruising full time in their Marine Trader

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
This is for those that wonder, for the TF members, and for the wannabees. What kind of boat do we really need for full time cruising?

Some will claim that you need a million dollar plus passagemaker. Some will claim you could do it in a runabout.

Here's a blog I stumbled upon today. A simple couple with a dream. The boat is nothing extraordinary. It's actually typical of the boats that many TF members have. I would dare say it is just an average boat in the overall boat scheme of things. The boat is a 44' Marine Trader Sundeck model.

This couple is currently in Mexico, having started their retirement adventure in Northern California. They are living the dream, and appear to be having the time of their lives.

A simple couple. A simple boat. A simple dream.

Introducing Greg and Lorrie Winfrey, and their two dogs.

Miss Scarlett's Adventure | Follow the Winfrey's on their journey

Gentlemen with boats, and those boat shopping, I'm here to tell you, you can do this. You can live the dream. You can have the adventure.

If the Winfreys can do it in ther 44' Marine Trader, and if the Woods can do in in their 38' Bayliner, You can do it in your boat. It doesn't have to cost allot, and its not just for the lucky few that can buy a million dollar boat.

All you need is the time, and a willing admrial. :)

Last edited:
Is no one else impressed that these nice folks are cruising full time in the "rough" waters of the pacific in their 44' Marine Trader?

Thanks Kevin,

I have not started the read, but will shortly.

I do not consider a MT 44 to be a "small" trawler. Pretty adequate though.
Believe I could easily double my range with something that size - they are pretty solid vessels.

Thanks Kevin! We will be out there in a few years:thumb::thumb:
btw, that fine MT44 is not a Sundeck model, rather a classic trunk two cabin trawler - well set up for long term cruising.

What I find refreshing about their and other stories, and there is a growing number of them on the internet is that they are breaking the myth that you need big money to enjoy cruising.

Just last fall one of our own Richard crossed the Atlantic in a KK42 for example. Thats a reasonably priced boat.

These folks in their Marine trader is another great example. Real people of what I would call "normal" means out living the dream.

I guess I relate to them, and yes in some ways am inspired by them, being a person of "normal" means myself. :)

Last edited:
thanks for the motivation

9 months to retirement and then the Admiral and I are off to our adventure. As stated thanks for the motivation...

Great job Kevin:thumb:

I really didn't get truly inspired until I started reading a lot of sailing stuff.

There are many people living the life on a true shoestring and they are mostly sailors.

Also many sailors have a very different attitude than motor vessel folks.

Julie and I wanted to pretty much be in the middle: no mechanical toilets:eek:, but not afraid of our shadows :hide:either (or those ubiquitous semi submerged containers):whistling:

Nice blog and pictures galore! Taking the time to enjoy a journey, bookmarked the site.
Can't wait to start mine.

Back
Top Bottom