If You Could Only Have One Anchor What Would It Be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gentlemen, thank you for your conversation and being good mates.
It was for fun. What else would you post on Friday the 13th?

Gentlemen, thank you for your conversation and being good mates.
It was for fun. What else would you post on Friday the 13th?

Oh yeah, you'll fit right in here. When I realized it was Friday the 13th I thought it would be fun to punk the forum but couldn't figure out a sly way to do so.

Well played sir :thumb::thumb:

I think the best anchor is the SARCA but it's not availible so I shoulda prolly put down Supreme. But I couldn't because I don't have enough experience w it and the same goes for the SARCA.

Actually, Eric, taking the OP's post at face value, (as it was not April Fool's Day, just Friday 13th), you nailed it, but I was waiting for someone else to say it because I would be regarded as too partisan actually having one of the above. (Super Sarca)

However, coming from you is much less biased, and therefore carries more weight, except that by having a really good all-round anchor, you actually don't have to carry so much weight. I still maintain it is best on the end of all chain rode though, and I all-ways will… :whistling:
:
Oh, and you were only wrong in one thing - they are available - they just have to be freighted to you at this point...:D

Oh yeah, you'll fit right in here. When I realized it was Friday the 13th I thought it would be fun to punk the forum but couldn't figure out a sly way to do so.

Well played sir :thumb::thumb:

Yesterday was Pi day... 3.1415

I should have asked the community if their preference was singles or twins.

Peter B wrote;
"by having a really good all-round anchor, you actually don't have to carry so much weight"

Nice thought Peter but don't think that's true.

Really high performance anchors have flaws whereas they hold extremely well. Perhaps unbelievably well. But that's not all that a good anchor does. It most likely will be asked to attach itself to all kinds of bottom types. It's very nice to be able to veer around at any angle and stay buried. It's very nice (possibly even mandatory in the marketplace (as Anchor Right, Manson and Rocna found out)) to fit easily on the bow roller. It's nice if the anchor is good looking. Nice if it's inexpensive. Nice if it performs better than most others at all reasonable scopes .. say 3-1 to 7-1.

Light cars don't ride well. Heavy cars have poor performance. Would you like to ride in a 500lb car? Have a car w plastic windows? How would you like your boat if it weighed 4000lbs? It would consume much less fuel.

Rex sacrificed holding performance of the SARCA when he decided to go to a convex fluke but it didn't tear up the sea floor so bad and perhaps veered more stably. He put holes in the fluke to help an anchor release from being buried and shed it's load of mud from the fluke. The convex fluke and the holes in the it lowered holding power so a bigger anchor is required to keep up w the big boys (so to speak) ... more weight.

Those that DO keep up w the big boys need to buy certain boats and have certain equipment (like anchors) to be in the proper nautical circles. Some things can almost automatically put one in guru status at the marina and elsewhere.

But to build an anchor that does everything well will mean some sacrifices in design relative to holding power. IMO the best, most user friendly anchor that still has high performance is the SARCA. But it's just my opinion. The anchor hasn't been independently tested as much as others (for those of us on the other side of the world) and in other ways is sort of an unknown commodity. Can't go down to the marina, see a SARCA and address the skipper and say "hey, how do you like the anchor?"

But even though I haven't much experience w the Supreme I probably should have named it my choice on this thread.

But Peter I do think a good all-around anchor will weigh more than a specifically performance focused design. Drive a Corvette across the country? Nope .. give me a Toyota Avalon.

The XYZ anchor in the bottom pic on my post #26 was a fantastic performer. It out performed many other anchors weighing twice as much but it's setting performance was terrible.

Last edited:
.....except that by having a really good all-round anchor, you actually don't have to carry so much weight.
I agree with this statement, however, I'm not a cruiser who goes a couple thousand miles (or even a couple hundred miles) in one direction and experiences all types of bottoms. All my voyages will be confined to SoCal. Santa Barbara to Catalina to San Diego to Ensenada and all points in between. A SARCA will hold sufficiently in all these areas.
(I have yet to buy one, however.:hide:)

Last edited:
Yesterday was Pi day... 3.1415

I should have asked the community if their preference was singles or twins.

Pecan or Apricot?

Personally I celebrated with a slice of blueberry washed down with a Guinness Draught just to be contrarian. Sounds like the three of us shoulda kept our troublesome traps shut or PM'd about it. None of these guys will read our April 1st threads now :D

Ok - I'll jump into the foray. Here is mine.

It’s a 17kg (37 pound) Marsh stockless type made right here in Adelaide, Ausralia.
I'd be fairly sure there are no other active TF members that have the same go-to anchor. But they are on the bow of probably 40% of the boats around here (including most of the fishing boats)

The reason is because of the broken limestone bottom we have in the local waters. Sometimes bare limestone, sometimes weed covered, sometimes sand covered, sometimes reefy.

These anchors are able to get down through the weed or sand and grab onto the limestone ledges. An admiralty anchor also works but not as well.

You'd be surprised at the number of Sarca's I've seen on local boats that have bent tips.

I'm sure my anchor wouldn't hold very well in mud, but there isn't any around here except for one protected harbour that I know of.

Moral of the story:
The best anchor for your boat isn't necessarily the best anchor in the world. (and vice versa)

Attachments

• os_stock.jpg
    os_stock.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 908
That Marsh anchor is amazing in it's simplicity.
Tubular stock I assume.
Makes me want to start cutting metal.

Ok - I'll jump into the foray. Here is mine.

It’s a 17kg (37 pound) Marsh stockless type made right here in Adelaide, Ausralia.

attachment.php

I'd be fairly sure there are no other active TF members that have the same go-to anchor. But they are on the bow of probably 40% of the boats around here (including most of the fishing boats)

The reason is because of the broken limestone bottom we have in the local waters. Sometimes bare limestone, sometimes weed covered, sometimes sand covered, sometimes reefy.

These anchors are able to get down through the weed or sand and grab onto the limestone ledges. An admiralty anchor also works but not as well.

I'm sure my anchor wouldn't hold very well in mud, but there isn't any around here except for one protected harbour that I know of.

I know we have been punked here, nevertheless this is an interesting KISS type of anchor ... who sells them? Any links?

My conditions are similar, broken limestone and/or granite bottom covered with silt and weeds. Looks like that Marsh anchor would cut thru the weeds much better than my Delta. I am sick of cleaning this sea salad after every night on the hook!

page7-1003-full.jpg

Last edited:
At least Richard W`s pic was not taken underwater by a nymph.
Anchors are "horses for courses". I had no idea we had another Aussie anchor designer/ manufacturer until I saw Auscan`s post.

Well, if I could only have one, I guess I'd go with the Ronco.

Attachments

• ronco anchormatic.jpg
    ronco anchormatic.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 128
Well, if I could only have one, I guess I'd go with the Ronco.

Do you have to use a swivel with the Ronco or can you shackle a rode directly to it? Also, given our sometimes foul bottoms in this region, I'm a bit concerned there is no attach point for a trip line.

However, I've heard there is an improved version of the Anchormatic coming out soon so perhaps I'll wait to see if it includes this important feature.

Last edited:
I know we have been punked here, nevertheless this is an interesting KISS type of anchor ... who sells them? Any links?

My conditions are similar, broken limestone and/or granite bottom covered with silt and weeds. Looks like that Marsh anchor would cut thru the weeds much better than my Delta. I am sick of cleaning this sea salad after every night on the hook!

They are made in Adelaide by Industrial Engineers & Springs. Here is a link
Industrial Springs - Aurora Springs

You'd be surprised at the number of Sarca's I've seen on local boats that have bent tips.

Auscan, just curious, but are you sure those Sarcas have bent tips from anchoring damage as it were, or is it possible you have mistakenly assumed their naturally downwards angled tip was from anchoring stresses. They are made with a distinct downwards angle of the tip on purpose just so it digs in readily. You might be able to compare what you saw with mine here…
Oh dear…hang on…I find out of the several pics I have of my Sarca, not one shows the tip. I must correct that. Watch this space…

PS. Actualy you can see a hint of it in that pic Healhustler posted - 3rd anchor from right.

Last edited:
I was actually browsing through the West Marine catalog last night because I'm thinking about buying a new anchor for my recently-purchased boat. Being a newbie here, I was a little hopeful when I saw this thread title this morning, but... :banghead:

It seems like the general consensus is that there is no "right" anchor. So, I'm just going to go with the prettiest. ;)

How about this one?
Intended use: Sand/weedy bottom, occasional mud when I go farther inshore.

Attachments

• boating_anchors.jpg
    boating_anchors.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 1,170
I was actually browsing through the West Marine catalog last night because I'm thinking about buying a new anchor for my recently-purchased boat. Being a newbie here, I was a little hopeful when I saw this thread title this morning, but... :banghead:

It seems like the general consensus is that there is no "right" anchor. So, I'm just going to go with the prettiest. ;)

How about this one?

Nothing wrong with that anchor for the sand and semi-hard bottoms, sets well and works great on a bow roller on and off without any help. Priced well below the fancy high end stuff, get it at least one size larger then they recommend for your boat.

I think you should have at least two quality anchors sized at least one larger then your boat.

The two should be opposite from each other, like the plow (I have a Delta on the bow currently) and a good Dan-forth at the ready. The idea is that if one doesn't like the conditions (hard time setting) the other will perform better in those conditions.

The idea is to have at least two different anchors for different conditions.

The first anchor should be chosed for the normal opperating conditions you are likely to be in (if possable). I am in sand then to a lesseor digree mud hence my choices.

Folks will have their own opinions as well, based on their own experiences, none wrong.

It is a wonderful world having such great choices.

Thanks Scott. That will probably be the way I go. I already have a Danforth-type anchor that came with the boat, but the shank is bent a little and doesn't fit too good on the bow roller. I'll probably straighten the shank and keep it onboard as a spare.

One anchor? Personally, I'd go for a shiny one....:)

IMG_0153-vi.jpg

AusCan,
The Marsh Stockless is a lot like the old Dreadnought and Navy anchors. Also similar to the Forfjord.

1. An active fishboat in Alaska that uses the Dreadnought anchor. There
are probably 15 or so boats in Craig using the Dreadnought.
2. This is a 45lb dread that I had but was bent. I later found a 35lb Dread. I still have the 35 and it sets instantly. The shank (and the rest of it too) is solid steel. It's long too and being so heavy minimizes the need for
chain ... so I've heard.
3. Two boats in Petersburg w Forfjords.

Heron is that a Manson Ray?

Attachments

• DSCF0732 copy.jpg
    DSCF0732 copy.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCF0888 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0888 copy 2.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 99
  • STH71655 copy 2.jpg
    STH71655 copy 2.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Auscan, just curious, but are you sure those Sarcas have bent tips from anchoring damage as it were, or is it possible you have mistakenly assumed their naturally downwards angled tip was from anchoring stresses. They are made with a distinct downwards angle of the tip on purpose just so it digs in readily. .

Yes Peter, I realize that they come with a slight (about a 10 degree?) bend, but I've seen them much more angled. There is one boat a few slips down from me with about a 45 degree bend on his tip. I'll see if I can get a photo when I get home.

Mr Jim, the Delta is not a bad choice. I've had one on Possum's bow for about twenty five years. I also carry two other anchors but they've never gotten wet. The Delta is the one that falls off the bow when I push the windlass button and I've never felt the need for one of the others.

I recently started selling Rocna and Vulcan anchors in my store. I'm going to give the Vulcan a try, I've heard good things about scoop style anchors and the Vulcan just looks so cool!

DELTA ANCHOR PICTURE

How about this one?

YMMV but DELTA does not work for me ... see my post above. My boat likes to swing on anchor and drags the anchor a lot in my bottom conditions. I have added more chain and tried symmetrical and asymmetrical bridle, got less boat swing but the anchor still drags more than I like. There is a DELTA anchor somewhere inside that sea salad harvested from the bottom.

page7-1003-full.jpg

Did some research and for my conditions I will try Fortress (Danforth variation) anchor this season. Will post my observations in the fall. One or another, or both if need be, should work ... :D

Last edited:
Ok I'm going to step into my own punk.
I use an all chain rode, a delta anchor and shackled to the delta anchor float line hole on the front of the plow I put an FX23 Fortress on a six foot 5/8 line. Toss over the fortress and as I am backing away lower the plow with the chain rode. When the water is clear I watch to see which anchor grabs first. The delta if the bottom is grassey, as the Fortress plugs with the grass, but in sand or mud the fortress grabs first and holds. Four years of traveling up the east coast from Florida to Long Island Sound this system has never failed me. Sound good or am I on barrowed time?

PGI, why rope and not chain between the anchors? Interesting idea, let the anchors choose which one will do the work. Some will point out that the anchors could foul each other if the boat swung around, but I gather that hasn't been an issue for you.

The delta if the bottom is grassey, as the Fortress plugs with the grass, but in sand or mud the fortress grabs first and holds.

Looks like I need to do some more research ... maybe the Marsh anchor is what I need after all?!

Back
Top Bottom