View Single Post
Old 03-15-2015, 10:47 AM   #8
Vashon_Trawler
Guru

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
I know this has been brought-up several times, but boat ownership has become out of reach for most of the middle class. I have reviewed the statistics and boat owners are becoming older and wealthier.

My parents earned a decent living back in the 80s and could afford a three bedroom house, two cars, and a trawler (three children as well). I remember the Florida ICW back then teeming with life: sailboats, small powerboats, trawlers, etc. Mom and Dad took two week vacations and weren't glued to the cell phone (yes they had one then) or laptop during their time off.

Fast forward to 2015... My wife and I earn a good living but we wouldn't dream of owning anything larger than Sherpa while working. I avoid debt, save for retirement, and pay with cash when at all possible. I can hardly take a few days off and work far, far more hours per week than my parents who were professionals as well. There is now an expectation today that one should work during vacation or not even take a vacation.

I was recently reading my Dad's old "Time Life" boating books (maintenance, navigation, and Handy Boatman). The photos from that time are very telling: young people owning boats and no obnoxious yachts.

Times are different. My generation will not be enjoying generous vested retirement plans, golf, and owning large boats in their later years. Instead, they'll be working until death.

Sorry for venting.