32'/34' trawlers that do 15kts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tut tut tut, none of you mentioned the Great Lakes 33'
http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1984/Great-Lakes-33-Trawler-2746129/United-States#.VQRxkCcgGSP
Dimensions
LOA: 32 ft 5 in
Beam: 11 ft 5 in
Displacement: 11500 lbs

Engines
Total Power: 165 HP

Engine 1:
Engine Brand: Volvo
Engine Model: TAMD 40 B
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 2296
Drive Type: Shaft Drive
Engine Power: 165 HP

Cruising Speed: 9 knots
Maximum Speed: 15 knots

Is this a sea boat or just for lake use?

. Builder: Ontario Yachts Designer: Ken Ball

Cruising Speed is 9 knots with a top end of around 15 knots

This engine is the largest one used by the builder in these boats and makes reaching cruising speeds very easy and because it doesn`t work hard the fuel efficiency is very good.

Last edited:
I wanted a trawler with big saloon and covered aft cockpit, with a big flybridge to get the biggest floating cottage possible in a small package.

At least now I know the numbers I'm looking for: 6tons/300hp/34' by 12' for 3-4mpg at 7 kts.

You won't find the first sentence with the second sentence (6 tonnes, 12' beam) in the same boat. One or the other has to give. If you want the size then the weight goes up to 9 tonnes like the newer Mainship 34T which isn't a 15 kt cruising boat, more like 12 kts.

If you can live with less size then the Albin 32, MS Pilot 34, etc can cruise at 15 kts on a single 300+ hp engine.

David

Last edited:
You won't find the first sentence with the second sentence (6 tonnes, 12' beam) in the same boat. One or the other has to give. If you want the size then the weight goes up to 9 tonnes like the newer Mainship 34T which isn't a 15 kt cruising boat, more like 12 kts.

If you can live with less size then the Albin 32, MS Pilot 34, etc can cruise at 15 kts on a single 300+ hp engine.

David

I think you're right; I've reduced my criteria to 32' by 12' and 6tons or less.

4 knots shy of your 15 desired but an interesting boat nonetheless.

Overview - SeaPiper

Thanks for that link.
It's a very interesting boat at a very reasonable price.

Love the work boat lines; not too sure about the central cockpit idea.

• LOA: 34ft / 10.30 m
• Beam: 8ft-6in / 2.60 m
• Draft: 2ft-10in / 0.85 m
• Displacement: 15,500 lbs / 7050 kg
• Headroom: 6ft-5in / 1.96m
• Fuel: 300 gal / 1140 liters
• Water: 100 gal / 380 liters
• Engine: 110hp Yanmar 4JH4
• Speed: 11 knots

The description indicates the 110 hp Yanmar as a "base" engine. I "assume" by that a larger engine is available that would reach the speed hump you desire at the co$t of fuel efficiency. I have seen the center cockpit design before and must admit that it is growing on me.

The description indicates the 110 hp Yanmar as a "base" engine. I "assume" by that a larger engine is available that would reach the speed hump you desire at the co$t of fuel efficiency. I have seen the center cockpit design before and must admit that it is growing on me.

Going on the old MS34 at 6 tons and 250hp to do 15kts, it would probably need about 300hp at 7. Tons?

Looks quite doable.

New boaters must get some shock when they're told a 34' trawler does 1.5mpg at 15 kts when they were thinking 15mpg would be bad!:blush: ...

Misinformation if not downright lies. Try six knots.

Tut tut tut, none of you mentioned the Great Lakes 33'
1984 Great Lakes 33 Trawler Power New and Used Boats for Sale
Dimensions
LOA: 32 ft 5 in
Beam: 11 ft 5 in
Displacement: 11500 lbs

Engines
Total Power: 165 HP

Engine 1:
Engine Brand: Volvo
Engine Model: TAMD 40 B
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 2296
Drive Type: Shaft Drive
Engine Power: 165 HP

Cruising Speed: 9 knots
Maximum Speed: 15 knots

Is this a sea boat or just for lake use?

I've just realised that the Great Lakes has a balsa cored hull underneath the waterline, right down to the keel.

I understand that's it's difficult enough a job to repair a soft deck, but How would you go about repairing a wet core laminate in the bottom section of the hull? :eek:

Regarding fuel consumption, here's the numbers for the famous Nelson 32' semi-displ hulls which weigh about 5-6tons depending on single/twin engines.

Surprisingly linear graph, the 6 ton version only needs 120hp to reach 15kts, but uses nearly double the hp to do 20kts at 220hp!

Last edited:
Hi All,Just joined have 1978 31ft c-kip eurobanker trawler with lehman ford 80hp diesel 4 cyl engine with 28 x 16 prop , does anybody know the history of these vessels and what speed the do and fuel consumption as we have only just acquired the vessel,if you can help any thanks to you.

Hi All,Just joined have 1978 31ft c-kip eurobanker trawler with lehman ford 80hp diesel 4 cyl engine with 28 x 16 prop , does anybody know the history of these vessels and what speed the do and fuel consumption as we have only just acquired the vessel,if you can help any thanks to you.

Lovely boats.

Please post some pics.....

Thank you ,will try but not to hot on old laptop and internet,will try tomorrow,regards dave.

Regarding the graph above, and to keep the fuel consumption figures in proportion with 'real world use', I feel I must post this comment from a real Nelson owner.......:blush:

Originally Posted by epervier

And very optimistic, mine has 2 x 145hp with bloody great big trim tabs to stop her digging her ass in, and to get 15 kts she needs a F8 up her stern and a slope down hill of about 15 degrees to get that

trawler

vessel is 28ft long with stern platform making it 31ft.

Regarding the graph above, and to keep the fuel consumption figures in proportion with 'real world use', I feel I must post this comment from a real Nelson owner.......:blush:

Just to add another 32' boat into the mix, the Island gypsy 32' 'gourmet cruiser'
Isn't very economical at slow speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybarge
what sort of speed do they do on 2 gals/hr?

Originally Posted by Codger2
I think the Island Gypsies & their cousins (Gourmet Cruisers) are a lot of boat for the money. I would step way out on a limb and say that (IMO) they may be the best boats at their respective lengths that I'm aware of.

The 32's speed at 2 gals/hr? About 3.5 to 5 knots. These boats are not fuel miserly vessels. They are well built (heavy) sea going boats.

Last edited:
For the speed range up to 16K a 32 ft Holland lobster type or similar lobster hull cruiser with single motor. At 15K you will burn some fuel but at 7-8K would be pretty good fuel burn. The down side is these boats are more toward the boat side of the boat cottage ratio so less internal volume.

So, not happy to "chug" along at six-something knots at less than two diesel-gallons an hour?

Last edited:
So, not happy to "chug" along at six-something knots at less than two diesel-gallons an hour?

If I was happy at six K I would have kept my sail boat that powered at 7.5k with 75 Hp engine at< 1/2 throttle on a drop of fuel and sailed at 8+K burning no fuel and the ride was very good and capable of all waters and all oceans. Never even thought about the need for stabilizers with that boat. But sometimes I just need the speed.

No doubt or questioning: some people "need the speed." Not consistent with the trawler concept, but whatever gives joy.

Last edited:
No doubt or questioning, some people "need the speed." Not consistent with the trawler concept, but whatever gives joy.
For better or worse the trawler concept has navigated in to muddy waters. We are all aware of the haziness of the definition of trawler and more and more boats on this site and more boats defined and sold as trawlers are SD and the six and seven Knot limitation is getting rare and 10+k becoming closer to the norm. Because there is no clear cut definition of a trawler the significantly more numerous SD and planning hulls will if not already represent a majority of boats designated trawler. Just for the record my boat is not a trawler not even close and I would never try to pass it as one. Most boat sale personnel know speed sells boats (cars and airplanes) and even a few knots counts. This is why so many boats are sold over propped and set up for light boat which becomes unrealistic when a owner takes delivery and starts loading it up. I have owned many slow boats and presently own a 5.5k boat and have on order a 5K boat. When I match the boat to my use pattern the slow speed is not a problem, but when I go where the extra knots make a difference than the faster boat is a better match. Some times a boat with a wide speed range fits my use pattern best and that is what I had in mind with Moon River happy at 7k or 18k or anything in-between. Yes there is a price to pay for that flexibility in the cost of the boat and the fuel when the speed goes up. My slow boats past and present are and were wonderful but limited in the flexibility department. I think this type of thinking is behind the increasing popularity of the faster SD trawlers. It's not all about inpatients to get there it's also about the flexibility.

Within the San Francisco estuarian geography, I'm perfectly pleased with a six-knot cruising speed, bringing most destinations within range in four to six hours. My semi-planing boating friends cruise at one to three knots faster than I. ... For instance (and regardless), last week's voyage from Vallejo to Petaluma (about 30 miles), I planned to leave a half hour before my faster compatriots. Knew I needed to make at least six knots SOG to make the four-hour advanced-notice opening for the Petaluma D Street bridge. For the first hour encountering opposing tidal currents, I needed to go at maximum cruising speed of seven knots.. My friends left 20 to 30 minutes later, and had expected them to catch up by the time I arrived the Petaluma River mouth. Nevertheless, they didn't catch up with me until soon after reaching the D Street Bridge. I arrived just five minutes before the prearranged opening.

Back
Top Bottom