Old 03-14-2015, 11:00 PM   #71
Wxx3
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Traveler how about this for a slightly outside the box exercise as you are obviously a knowledgeable and prudent boater. For your next big offshore fishing trip hire a professional captain and deckhand for the trip. See if it is perhaps the mantel of leadership that is giving you the anxiety. There is a lot to be responsible for on a vessel your size and there's a reason many folks in your size class choose to hire a captain. I think you mentioned in a previous post how much more relaxed you where on another persons boat.

I liked the idea put forward of having a trusted surveyor put together a deficiency list for you to address too.
Traveler,

As well as the above, I do find I am more prone to sea sickness now than two years ago. Why? I think simply it's more stressful for me.

But, earlier I mentioned about knowing your boat. One of the first things you should understand is that mechanical failures do NOT happen randomly. But one thing can lead to another.

I learned this early on, after being stranded in the front range of Colorado, when my fuel injection belt broke. It took almost all day to get home, next day go to dealer to get new belt, then finally a few days later, get back to car. As I'm changing the belt, I noticed a one inch by 1/4" sliver of the fan belt sticking out.

What had happened is that silver, after going around zillions of times, was at the wrong place at the wrong time, and got wedged between the fuel injection belt and it's pulley, thus braking the belt.

I had seen this fray in the fan belt, but since I carried a spare fan belt, I figured there was no haste in changing it.

I was wrong and learned a valuable lesson.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote