Sheets & Blankets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Huss9078

We just bought a 53' Selene. Where can I get sheets and blankets for the 2 staterooms and bunks for a reasonable price??

Congrats on your new boat! Looks like you're on the US East Coast...have you tried Macy's or Bed Bath and Beyond? We use typical high thread count, home-style sheets and blankets.

Walmart. Where all the interesting people shop. But if you want sheets fitted to an irregular shape mattress, prepare to pay.

I have found it is still just as easy and way cheaper to use off the shelf stuff and tuck it in rather than custom stuff.

It's not that bad to deal with. On my 3rd liveaboard with about 10 years aboard.

Queen beds are 60x80. Our "queen" in the boat is 57x78. Like others have said, just buy a set of queen-sized sheets and tuck 'em in a bit. That's what we do. When you're sleeping, you won't know!

Or talk to the companies that advertise in the boating magazines that specialize in odd shaped boat mattresses and linens and order from them. But expect to lay out a "boat buck or two".

Just bought a 53' Selene and looking for cheap sheets and blankets? WOW.

He didn't say cheap, he said reasonable. If you have them custom made that is a very reasonable question. Custom is not cheap anywhere.

Stein Mart when they have sales. Bed, Bath and Beyond with a pocket full of 20% off coupons.

Does the draft of the Selene 53 pose any problems for cruising on the East Coast? My understanding of the ICW is that there are problems for boats with a draft of the Selene 53. What role did that play in your decision?

Yeah. That's why he needs cheap sheets and blankets.

Makes sense to me.

I have purchased all of my sheets for the last 15 or so years at Tuesday Morning. They always have incredible deals on quality high thread count Egyptian cotton sheets.

Tuesday Morning

Sam place we get ours best prices and highest quality

Would it be reasonable to do the Loop in a Selene 53?

Only if the sheets fit well.

I would not attempt it. Everything I have read indicates the best Great Loop boats are under 36', have a draft of less than 3.5', and have an air draft of 17' or less. Certainly larger boats have done it. You should probably check with the American Great Loop Cruising Association or read this link:

Choosing your Great Loop boat.

If your air draft will fit under the lowest bridge...yes it's reasonable even though boats with lower air drafts and drafts less than 5 feet are more enjoyable to travel in when the tide is out in some places.

Length is less important than other factors best I can tell.

The other twist is some feel it necessary to do the Mississippi, other feel what it adds isn't necessary and would rather add mini loops and just do coastal and Great Lake portions.

There are Selene 53's built with masts and those built with arches. Of course the masts being taller.

We have the model with the arch. It is built with hinges so you can drop it down if need be. So far we haven't had to do this. With the VHF antennas down our air draft is right under 35 ft and we've made every bridge we encountered in the ICW regardless of tide.

There are Selene 53's built with masts and those built with arches. Of course the masts being taller.

We have the model with the arch. It is built with hinges so you can drop it down if need be. So far we haven't had to do this. With the VHF antennas down our air draft is right under 35 ft and we've made every bridge we encountered in the ICW regardless of tide.

From what it sounds 19.1 feet is your limiting bridge for the loop....

Frequently Asked Questions - AGLCA

Are you saying that at 35 feet you have made it under ever bridge on the ICW whether open or not?.....or the ones that could open you had open?

So based on the above, it seems you can't loop with a Selene 53. The most you could do is get to Chicago. I'm not familiar with the waters the FAQ references, but it does mention some other spots where we couldn't go.

CORRECTION, Yes we can loop but we need to take the arch down to do so. I was recalling our aircraft incorrectly.

Last edited:
So based on the above, it seems you can't loop with a Selene 53. The most you could do is get to Chicago. I'm not familiar with the waters the FAQ references, but it does mention some other spots where we couldn't go.

How much more clearance do you need?

You could do like the guy I met near Jacksonville, Fl with the older, traditional look Bertram Motoryacht. He would just flood his bilges when he needed a little more...probably was smart enough to induce a list if he needed more....:eek::D:D

Yes. Many might say it's not the preferred boat, but the main consideration is air draft. If over 19'1" you can't do it. If between 15' and 19' it limits the routes. All sorts and types of boats have done the loop. There are areas that you'd really have to watch depth, but no areas you shouldn't be able to get through safely. Also, under 60' there are very few places that marinas become a problem.

I've known people to do the loop in 70'+ Hatteras with a hinged arch. 57' Marlows. 50'+ Grand Banks. A 55' Fleming. And Selenes have done it. Typically choose any length boat and draft and all those with shorter boats and shallower drafts will say you can't do it. Depth wise, the ICW's are the biggest problem areas. While places like Captain John's and the loop groups are extremely good sources for information each individual also has their prejudices toward certain types of boats.

Wait, I screwed up in a previous post. Our air draft with antennas down is 23ft. So if we bring the arch down we can loop if we want to. With the arch up I still thin Chicago is as far as we can go.

How much more clearance do you need?

You could do like the guy I met near Jacksonville, Fl with the older, traditional look Bertram Motoryacht. He would just flood his bilges when he needed a little more...probably was smart enough to induce a list if he needed more....:eek::D:D

I don't have the measurements for a Selene 53, but do for a Selene 54. With the mast down, it reduces that aspect of bridge clearance to 15'2". With the radar arch up clearance is 17'9" and with it down is 14'7". Selene is one of the few builders that does an excellent job of publishing this information. To do the loop you would have to have the mast lowered as sail boats do and then raise it again after Chicago.

There are many ways to work around close fits. One is hinging arches. Another is just making sure all tanks are full. Flooding bilges is one, although not one I like the idea of. Adding weight in other ways can help. Of maybe you'll find the water higher than the minimum.

As to draft, generally I read that it must be under 6' and shallower is preferable. Funny thing is I read it written by someone who has run aground twice on the loop with a 3'6" draft. So clearly a lot depends on avoiding shoals. Now you cannot do the Canadian Heritage Canals with over 5'.

Wait, I screwed up in a previous post. Our air draft with antennas down is 23ft. So if we bring the arch down we can loop if we want to. With the arch up I still thin Chicago is as far as we can go.

Is it your hard top increasing your air draft? Or electronics on your arch? I ask because I did find the specifications on a Selene 53 and your height certainly exceeds the norm.

http://www.selenecalifornia.com/images/specs_pdf/SELENE 53.pdf

It does point out something though. Don't go by factory specifications on draft, water or air. Measure and know your own boat.

I don't have the measurements for a Selene 53, but do for a Selene 54. With the mast down, it reduces that aspect of bridge clearance to 15'2". With the radar arch up clearance is 17'9" and with it down is 14'7". Selene is one of the few builders that does an excellent job of publishing this information. To do the loop you would have to have the mast lowered as sail boats do and then raise it again after Chicago.

That doesn't account that you will invariably put a radar and other contraptions onto of the arch increasing your air-draft. I've not seen one selene without something onto of the arch.

Is it your hard top increasing your air draft? Or electronics on your arch? I ask because I did find the specifications on a Selene 53 and your height certainly exceeds the norm.

http://www.selenecalifornia.com/images/specs_pdf/SELENE 53.pdf

It does point out something though. Don't go by factory specifications on draft, water or air. Measure and know your own boat.

haha, I was replying to this as you were writing it! yes its the electronics that increase the height. Everyone adds radar and other junk up there. We have sat-TV domes from a previous owner also besides two radar units.

Back
Top Bottom