Newbie with questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jskinner30PII

Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 30' Rumrunner
Hi all,
I’m new to this site and have enjoyed reading up on all the questions, answers and advice. It’s amazing how in depth the advice can be with graphics, charts and diagrams? I’ll apologize now for asking dumb questions. Like, what does polishing diesel fuel mean?

I have a question for the Mainship 30’ Pilot owners. I recently purchased a 2006 Mainship 30’ pilot II in November 2014. I’ve been working away on the items not discover during the inspection, sea trail and survey. I wanted to install two flush mount rod holders, port and starboard. I have looked at each side and it is really tight. I have seen a couple pictures of boats on Yacht Word that do have them. Most of the boats do not. Has anyone with a 30’piolt drill and installed these? Did you locate them into what looks like side vents? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks Jeff.

I just took delivery of my Pilot a couple days ago, but rod holders are going to be some of the first (and probably cheapest :rolleyes:) things I'll install. I'll let you know what I figure out then -- please do the same if you beat me to it!

And welcome to the forum! Please post some pics of your boat.

Same here, just closed on a 2007 Mainship Pilot 30 this morning & was wanting to install a couple of flush rod holders as well. I noticed the one we just got also has Tigress Rod Brackets that mount on the sides of the cockpit for the brand's rod holders to slide into. Might be another option for you as well. See photo below.

Same here, just closed on a 2007 Mainship Pilot 30 this morning & was wanting to install a couple of flush rod holders as well. I noticed the one we just got also has Tigress Rod Brackets that mount on the sides of the cockpit for the brand's rod holders to slide into. Might be another option for you as well. See photo below.

Did you buy the one at Legendary Marine?

Welcome!

If you don't get your answer here you might try to search the mainship sub-forum.

I just installed one on my MS but I'm a 34T so can't speak to the pilots.
I was able to check for obstructions - before commiting with the hole saw - from the aft of the engine room... but I realize the pilots are different.

Again welcome

Yup, that's the one! Took awhile as they had to do some work getting it ready for sale.

Like, what does polishing diesel fuel mean?

Well, that certainly is not a dumb question. Fuel Polishing is essentially removing all the bad stuff from fuel while keeping the good stuff. Remove water, bacterial contamination, sludge, silt, but not anything that is necessary for the fuel to burn properly. Often this is necessary after fuel has been sitting a long time. Other times after some sort of contamination such as water leaking in. Sometimes problems with the tanks themselves in which case polishing and returning it to the same tanks won't accomplish a lot.

Some boats are set up with systems to polish the fuel all the time, especially those crossing oceans. One reason is that rough water tends to stir up anything that is in the tanks.

Most fuel polishing of that nature is done using centrifuges or coalescers. Fuel can sometimes be "polished" just with a series of filters although that technically isn't polishing but is filtering. Now filtering has one issue. It removes all the solids. Apparently again there are good solids and bad solids. The good solids are really the fuel solidified and necessary for it to maintain its combustible level. Filters can't detect them as different from any other solid.

While paying someone to polish fuel can be expensive, if you have 1000 gallons of diesel that you can't use so either have to pay to dispose of it or polish it and be able to use it, then a good deal.

Yup, that's the one! Took awhile as they had to do some work getting it ready for sale.

Well congrats! That is a beautiful boat. I really like the dark blue hull -- stunning. When I went and looked at it, the broker told me he had a contract on it. I guess that was you. But I'm happy with the boat I got (so far). I guess we'll learn about these boats together... Hope to see you out there.

Well, that certainly is not a dumb question. Fuel Polishing is essentially removing all the bad stuff from fuel while keeping the good stuff. Remove water, bacterial contamination, sludge, silt, but not anything that is necessary for the fuel to burn properly. Often this is necessary after fuel has been sitting a long time. Other times after some sort of contamination such as water leaking in. Sometimes problems with the tanks themselves in which case polishing and returning it to the same tanks won't accomplish a lot.

Some boats are set up with systems to polish the fuel all the time, especially those crossing oceans. One reason is that rough water tends to stir up anything that is in the tanks.

Most fuel polishing of that nature is done using centrifuges or coalescers. Fuel can sometimes be "polished" just with a series of filters although that technically isn't polishing but is filtering. Now filtering has one issue. It removes all the solids. Apparently again there are good solids and bad solids. The good solids are really the fuel solidified and necessary for it to maintain its combustible level. Filters can't detect them as different from any other solid.

While paying someone to polish fuel can be expensive, if you have 1000 gallons of diesel that you can't use so either have to pay to dispose of it or polish it and be able to use it, then a good deal.

So a fuel polishing system is different than a dual Racor setup? Is a stand alone setup one that you operate when you want to polish your diesel (say diesel purchased in a 3rd world country) , and pump into your day tank or opposite tank, rather than direct to the engine? Anotherwords it isn't working all of the time the engine is running? Any idea of the cost of a polishing system for if one was going to some less developed countries? Seems it might be prudent system to have.

Kevin
Portland, OR

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Anchors??????

wondy_kickinass.gif

So a fuel polishing system is different than a dual Racor setup? Is a stand alone setup one that you operate when you want to polish your diesel (say diesel purchased in a 3rd world country) , and pump into your day tank or opposite tank, rather than direct to the engine? Anotherwords it isn't working all of the time the engine is running? Any idea of the cost of a polishing system for if one was going to some less developed countries? Seems it might be prudent system to have.

Kevin
Portland, OR

Yes, it is different that the filters. Most boats under 100' do not have them. However, if one has problems, in many areas, you can get people to bring equipment to the marina to polish your fuel. Here is a link to a page that has a pretty good outline of the basics and a drawing.

What you need to know about fuel-polishing systems for your boat

There are quite a few brands of equipment. ESI and Reverso are large suppliers.

Alfa Laval was one of the leaders in the industry. Here's a link to their equipment. They do a lot of commercial work plus megayachts, but they also do smaller boats.

Oil treatment – fuel oil and lube oil separators, fuel conditioning, filters, pumps, Alfa Laval

B and B, Thanks for the information. I thought it wassome type of filtering process but wasn't sure. It makes total sense once I readyour explanation.

Nicolasalan, That's a nice looking hard top you have. Ilooked at two of these boats and was surprised when I looked at the specifications.It seems that hard top adds 1000s pounds to the weight of the boat. The Tigressbrackets area and option but I'd like to keep a cleaner look if possible.

MrJim, I'll let you know if I get them installed in thenext couple weeks. I'll try and upload the pictures. It took me and hour to figure out how to makea post, not to IT savvy?

Bacchus, I do a search of the sub forum.

Thanks all, Jeff.

Welcome aboard

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom