New member in Snug Harbor, RI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeN

Hello, I'm a broker with Boatworks Yacht Sales in Wakefield, RI. We're a Grand Banks dealer. Many of my clients are participants in this site so I thought I'd join to keep up with whats going on in the trawler world. I've been on the site in the past looking for info on my "quirky" 1976 Perkins 6.354 that powers my '76 Dyer 29.

Welcome . That 's the same engine . Mine hasn't gotten too quirky yet .

It's actually not too bad, about 3500 hours. The only real problem is the breadbox cooler, the top and bottom caps are completely rotted out so the box has been bypassed. Replacements and alternatives are frightfully expensive...

Have you checked with the guy in Alabama ? I think it's Mesa . Mine is leaking a little also . I JB welded it last year .

Welcome aboard. I am originally from Westport Ma. Know the Dyers well. My father had a 40 Dyer. Twin Perkins. We completed and sold a 29 with a Volvo, truck cabin model. The 29,in my opinion, is a better sea boat then 29.

I did check with them. They have some alternatives so it's a question of is the Perkins worth investing that much in? Another company has the top and bottom caps cast in bronze which would really be ideal but I think it was about 7k for the pair.

I was at the factory in Warren a few weeks ago, they had a Perkins takeout for sale...owner was repowering with a Yanmar. Very enjoyable visit, we talked Dyers for over an hour and they showed me through the shop. Not much in the way of new builds unfortunately but enough refits and winter projects to keep them going... I've never seen the 40 in person, not many built I guess.

Back
Top Bottom