GPS Tracking Device for Stolen Dinghy/Outboard...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diesel Duck

Colombia, South America and Huatulco, Mexico
After reading a recent thread about selecting a dinghy it dawned on me that since dinghy's are dang expensive along with the potential for theft why hasn't someone developed a tiny battery powered GPS device for tracking stolen dinghy's and or outboard motors?

I did a quick google search for information and came across several GPS tracking devices for cars but no real applications for small dinghy's and or their motors and then bingo! I came across one that's looks like it was designed specifically for a dinghy or an outboard motor.

Here's the link: http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=128

If there's anyone out there who has experience with this device or something similar I'd appreciate any comments you may have.

Last edited:
Seems to me it would cost the same to just add a rider on your boat insurance to protect investment. GPS is great, but you will have something else to maintain(Batteries,etc.)

It might be pretty handy if in remote places.

You can insure a dingy but usually not at the cost of buying and shipping...and possibly being stuck somewhere for awhile plus paying 2 what you might have bought it for back home at cheaper prices.

It may be good also for the towers who find it missing from the tow line come daybreak.

I have not owned the specific tracking device in the link, but I do own one of the first generation SPOT devices. It works pretty much as advertised, though I would say the battery life is only about 75% of what they claim. Still, that might be enough for this purpose. Of course, what if your dinghy gets stolen the night before you were planning to replace the batteries?

Other than that, consider the initial price, plus the yearly service fees, plus the cost/effort of regularly replacing the batteries. If it seems to you to be worthwhile for the protection afforded then it certainly can't hurt.

Since this thing is ~3x2x1 inches in size, it is not very discreet. On a dinghy or outboard it is likely to be easily spotted. It would seem to me that any reasonably competent thief will either remove it or cover it in tinfoil.

Even if it alerts you when tampered with, the thief can probably get away with your stuff before you can respond.

I would think something like this would do the trick for less money. http://www.amazon.com/Smead-Stick-N-Find-Bluetooth-Location-02218/dp/B00CRJD7GQ/ref=sr_1_1/184-6490695-7421949?ie=UTF8&qid=1426205275&sr=8-1&keywords=stick-n-find
It says the range is only 150' but you can set it to alarm when something leaves that range. If I were sleeping I could get an alarm if the dink/motor leaves the area.

A bigger question for me is...OK someone took off in my dingy and I now know where they are, what am I going to do about it? I ain't no John Wayne type and I'd imagine they'll be long gone before the authorities arrive. Not sure of the answer, just something to think about.

If someone steals your dinghy, simply buy a new one and claim it on insurance. It's not as if it's a daily occurrence for your average boater. Maybe once in a lifetime.

Tracking it down and confronting the thief may get your dinghy back, but it may also lead to either you or the thief getting a bullet in the head. You don't come out a winner either way. You guys are watching too many John Wayne movies.

If someone steals your dinghy, simply buy a new one and claim it on insurance. It's not as if it's a daily occurrence for your average boater. Maybe once in a lifetime.
Easy for someone who is near their home base or where dinghy's are sold or can be easily shipped but not so easy for someone who is in a foreign country enjoying their 10 year world cruising plan, a.k.a. circumnavigation. Dinghy's get stolen frequently, maybe not in your local marina but in other parts of the world it's a fairly common occurrence.

Tracking it down and confronting the thief may get your dinghy back, but it may also lead to either you or the thief getting a bullet in the head. You don't come out a winner either way. You guys are watching too many John Wayne movies.
With respect, me thinks your thought process on retrieving a stolen dinghy is pretty short sighted. Contacting the local authorities to assist in getting a stolen dinghy back would be the prudent course of action. No John Wayne here... To the contrary, I prefer to use my brains and not my bronze.

Last edited:
I would think something like this would do the trick for less money. Amazon.com: Smead Stick-N-Find Bluetooth Location Tracker with Key Fob, 2 per Pack (02218): Electronics
It says the range is only 150' but you can set it to alarm when something leaves that range. If I were sleeping I could get an alarm if the dink/motor leaves the area.

A bigger question for me is...OK someone took off in my dingy and I now know where they are, what am I going to do about it? I ain't no John Wayne type and I'd imagine they'll be long gone before the authorities arrive. Not sure of the answer, just something to think about.
With a working distance of only 150' this would not work well. I think you would need something that will utilize GPS which can be tracked almost globally so the authorities would be able to assist with recovery.

Last edited:

Easy for someone who is near their home base or where dinghy's are sold or can be easily shipped but not so easy for someone who is in a foreign country enjoying their 10 year world cruising plan, a.k.a. circumnavigation. Dinghy's get stolen frequently, maybe not in your local marina but in other parts of the world it's a fairly common occurrence.

With respect, me thinks your thought process on retrieving a stolen dinghy is pretty short sighted. Contacting the local authorities to assist in getting a stolen dinghy back would be the prudent course of action. No John Wayne here... To the contrary, I prefer to use my brains and not my bronze.

DD - i can understand your point of view; although I still think it would be a very rare occurrence anywhere, but it still gets discussed often. I'll hazard a guess there may be a few TF members that have had there dinghy stolen; doubtful if anyone has had it happen more than once.

For sure there are a few problem areas where dinghy theft is a regular pastime (I believe you are cruising in the general area). I've spent considerable time in Central America, but not on a boat. I'd expect these areas might also be the best place to buy a used dinghy at a great price. It may even be your own.

I do understand the desire to protect your pride & joy, and not have your dream trip soured by such an event. Just don't get hurt for the sake of a dinghy.
Safe travels!

It may be a US thing but most of the folks I know WOULD confront a thief that stole their dinghy, we did it in Tahiti. It happened a second time when we confronted and held a thief in Fiji that broke into a friends boat.. the asswipe was walking around Suva wearing one of the t shirts he stole off the boat... along with 4 bags of sails and a ton of other stuff!.

The Suva cops were most helpful as is had put a pretty big black mark on the town with all the Yachties.

After all.. John Wayne was a American...

One of my favorite Duke videos.... Still quite relevant today...

:rolleyes:

HOLLYWOOD

I guess Australians & Canadians are a bit more laid back.
I'd just report it, then ask around for a bargain dinghy; buy it back, or a better one, then put in a claim for a cost of a new one. No hassles, and I end up ahead to make up for my minor inconvenience.
I see no need to get even or teach anyone a lesson.

Apologies for sidetracking the thread, DD. It's just that I'm jealous of your boat.

I would think it would be easier to prevent the theft in the first place. If theives want something bad enough,they'll get it. You don't have to make something 100% theft proof, you just have to make it harder to steal than the alternatives. A few ways to do that.

use a long steel cable ( like a motorcycle lock ) and a big padlock.

Don't store the engine on the boat

Remove any of the following: Gas tank, Battery, prop, spark plug wire.

or..install one of these.....

6248-DinghyDogDetail-EM.jpg

Last edited:
It might be pretty handy if in remote places.

You can insure a dingy but usually not at the cost of buying and shipping...and possibly being stuck somewhere for awhile plus paying 2 what you might have bought it for back home at cheaper prices.

It may be good also for the towers who find it missing from the tow line come daybreak.

:thumb: From what I have seen while cruising, twenty come untied for every one that gets stolen.

:thumb: From what I have seen while cruising, twenty come untied for every one that gets stolen.

That happened to me a couple months ago. Hugely embarrassing to come out and at the same time I realize that the mischievous dinghy had untied its painter and gone for a ramble, I see another couple towing the dinghy back to me.

That happened to me a couple months ago. Hugely embarrassing to come out and at the same time I realize that the mischievous dinghy had untied its painter and gone for a ramble, I see another couple towing the dinghy back to me.

I won't judge. On our last trip to the Bahamas, we had our dinghy come untied, while still in sight of our home Marina. If my wife hadn't noticed, I don't know how long it would have been before I realized we were dinghyless!:blush:

That led to the establishment of our dinghy painter policy. One is none, two is one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom