View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 08:24 PM   #39
Carey
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
Upper vs Lower Helm

Personally, I overheat easily, therefore the flybridge would never be my choice, except on a seventy degree, overcast day. I enjoy the shade, the proximity to the refrigerator, and full electronics.*

If, however, I didn't have two forward facing seats in the pilothouse, I would likely insist on a hard topped bimini topside, so myself and the admiral could both look ahead. Fortunately, as we began our search for the perfect boat, we discovered that most boats did not offer two seats facing forward with equal visibility. That became one of our primary criteria. Why should the admiral sit at the dinette, with no forward visibility?

On that rare, perfect northwest day, we will go topside and let the wind hit us in the face. Ahhh...!!!! Not only do we enjoy those particularly fine rides, but you can't beat the view from topside when entering unfamiliar or particularly tight mooring quarters. Being able to see both ends of the boat without moving is really nice.

Bottom line is that it is really nice to have the option of flybridge or pilothouse.

-- Edited by Carey on Monday 29th of November 2010 10:27:06 PM
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote