View Single Post
Old 03-12-2015, 10:53 PM   #9
Diesel Duck

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
If someone steals your dinghy, simply buy a new one and claim it on insurance. It's not as if it's a daily occurrence for your average boater. Maybe once in a lifetime.

Easy for someone who is near their home base or where dinghy's are sold or can be easily shipped but not so easy for someone who is in a foreign country enjoying their 10 year world cruising plan, a.k.a. circumnavigation. Dinghy's get stolen frequently, maybe not in your local marina but in other parts of the world it's a fairly common occurrence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Tracking it down and confronting the thief may get your dinghy back, but it may also lead to either you or the thief getting a bullet in the head. You don't come out a winner either way. You guys are watching too many John Wayne movies.

With respect, me thinks your thought process on retrieving a stolen dinghy is pretty short sighted. Contacting the local authorities to assist in getting a stolen dinghy back would be the prudent course of action. No John Wayne here... To the contrary, I prefer to use my brains and not my bronze.