Krogen 54 purchased

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Britannia

Wannabe
Vessel Name
Stillwater
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
I'm now the proud owner of a 1988 Krogen 54 Passagemaker called Stillwater. She's currently in Ketchikan, AK and I'll be flying up in just over a week to start the process of bringing her down to the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm starting with a shakedown cruise of a few days, followed by some downtime and then a passage from Ketchikan to Anacortes,WA for the first leg.

I'm attaching pictures here so as not to incur the wrath of the forum. These were taken during the haulout and survey.

Richard

10115-albums347-picture1911.jpg

10115-albums347-picture1912.jpg

10115-albums347-picture1913.jpg

10115-albums347-picture1914.jpg

Mi Gusta!! That's beautiful, and a hearty congratulations to you, sir! Now, about that anchor...

Great boat, I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Pity about the anchors!:hide:

Gosh she looks lovely! Love the name! I'd like to see her. Let us know when you are in the lower Gulf of Georgia. Perhaps we can link up.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Really great looking boat!

Glen

Wow. Very impressive boat.

What are your long term cruising plans?

Bee-u-tee-ful!!! I'm dumbfounded.

Mi Gusta!! That's beautiful, and a hearty congratulations to you, sir! Now, about that anchor...

Great boat, I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Pity about the anchors!:hide:

Ok - yes - unfortunately she came with a 110lb Bruce and a 75lb CQR plus 400' of chain. I'm planning on just dumping all that overboard when I get up there and attaching a small Danforth to a piece of string.

Richard

Ok - yes - unfortunately she came with a 110lb Bruce and a 75lb CQR plus 400' of chain. I'm planning on just dumping all that overboard when I get up there and attaching a small Danforth to a piece of string.

Richard

OMG:thumb::thumb:

You fit right in to this group:D:D

Gosh she looks lovely! Love the name! I'd like to see her. Let us know when you are in the lower Gulf of Georgia. Perhaps we can link up.

Jim

Thanks Jim,

My current float plan has us staying in Nanaimo on the night of Sunday Apr 5. However, that date is dependent on our leaving on time and having no weather holds. So it will likely be a little later than that. Where are you based? I could try to get hold of you when we get close.

Richard

Wow. Very impressive boat.

What are your long term cruising plans?

Thanks. I'm still working, so my short term plans will be to enjoy here up and down the California coast. In a few years I'd like to take off a whole summer and head back north to do the PNW and SE Alaska properly. I have made the hailing port Ketchikan, AK - partly out of respect for where I bought her and partly as a reminder that I must return one day to cruise.

The boat's a long term purchase - I'm expecting the next owner will have to pry her from my cold, dead hands.

Richard

Here are a few more details. And to offset the bragging I will highlight some of her deficiencies.

She's powered by a John Deere 6068T (220HP) that was put in during 1996. I'm not sure why she was repowered - the original engine was almost certainly a Lehman 225HP. She has no get home engine but she does have Wesmar Fin Stabilizers (these were important decisions for me).

She has two generators - both Northern Lights, one 20kW and one 8kW. I may consider adding a hydraulic get-home motor to the 20kW. I think it's just big enough to be viable.

Probably the biggest deficiency is the engine room, or should I say cave? As you can see from the butt shot above - she's well designed for following seas, but there's not much room below the saloon floor. At least there's only one engine in there, plus the 20kW genset (the 8kW is in the lazarette). It's definitely cramped, especially with all the after market equipment added. She has four zones of cruise-air heating/AC, an ESPAR heater and a 600GPD water maker. I'm definitely going to have to start yoga classes!

The other compromise compared to newer trawlers this size is the cabin space. Most newer designs at this length bring forward the pilothouse and increase the amount of double decking. She's still no slouch for space though - especially compared to my 36' sailboat!

And she has a crow's nest - who could want anything more?

10115-albums347-picture1915.jpg

Richard

Last edited:
Glad it all worked out, Richard. It's also good to match a face with a name! We had a great time at VTS San Francisco.

I didn't realize she had a proper swim step for a canoe rear end! Fabulous, Sir. See you in the Bay Area.

Proper little ship there Richard. Looking forward to the dime tour when she reaches the Bay.

Glad it all worked out, Richard. It's also good to match a face with a name! We had a great time at VTS San Francisco.

I didn't realize she had a proper swim step for a canoe rear end! Fabulous, Sir. See you in the Bay Area.

Thanks Ray - it was great to see you too. I'll look forward to meeting up with you and the other local TFers on the water.

Yes - it's an after market swim step that's quite well done. There's a sliding platform that connects it to the gate that drops down (you can see it on the starboard quarter).

Richard

Thanks Jim,

My current float plan has us staying in Nanaimo on the night of Sunday Apr 5. However, that date is dependent on our leaving on time and having no weather holds. So it will likely be a little later than that. Where are you based? I could try to get hold of you when we get close.

Richard

I'm in Steveston, a short 45 minute hop up the Fraser River. Lots of dock space, and a good place to stage for entry back into the US at Point Roberts.

Jim

I'd like to give a shout out to Peter Ricks (Pau Hana on this forum) for his help in getting the insurance for Stillwater. He took my requirements, which included coverage for spring transit from AK to CA, and got quotes for a variety of options. Not only that but the quotes he got me were more competitive than the others I received.

Peter was easy to work with and very helpful - I highly recommend him.

Thanks Peter!

Richard

I'd like to give a shout out to Peter Ricks (Pau Hana on this forum) for his help in getting the insurance for Stillwater. He took my requirements, which included coverage for spring transit from AK to CA, and got quotes for a variety of options. Not only that but the quotes he got me were more competitive than the others I received.

Peter was easy to work with and very helpful - I highly recommend him.

Thanks Peter!

Richard

Peter also was also a huge help arranging insurance for me. Can't say enough good things.

Richard,:hello:
Congratulations Sir, well played.:thumb: I took a stroll down to Air Marine and walked by the boat. Very very nice and a perfect Southeast Alaska cruiser by any measurements. My chest puffed up a bit reading of the choice of hailing port. you did us proud!:flowers:
We may meet or not during your tight schedule at least know that this boater wishes you the best of the best during your ownership:). Safe sailing, soft head winds, and favorable following seas.

Al-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska

Stunning boat! Wish there were more KKs here.

Richard,:hello:
Congratulations Sir, well played.:thumb: I took a stroll down to Air Marine and walked by the boat. Very very nice and a perfect Southeast Alaska cruiser by any measurements. My chest puffed up a bit reading of the choice of hailing port. you did us proud!:flowers:
We may meet or not during your tight schedule at least know that this boater wishes you the best of the best during your ownership:). Safe sailing, soft head winds, and favorable following seas.

Al-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska
Al,

Thanks so much for your nice comments. It's wonderful to hear that you saw her - you were pretty much the first to see her since she became mine! Hopefully she is ok. I hope we can catch up - I plan to be in port from Wed Mar 25 to Sat Mar 28, so there's a good chance we could catch up. I'm glad you like my choice of hailing port - it just seemed the right thing to do!

I'm going to PM you my contact information - I'd like to chat with you about resources in Ketchikan - specifically chandleries. I'd like to know where to go for some items when I'm up there. One thing I'm hoping to hunt down are CO2 cylinders for my inflatable PFDs (can't ship them by air).

Hope to see you soon - and thanks again for recommending Dave. I assume you know Mike of Diesel Doc? He and Molly have been a great help - including letting me ship packages to their address. A new 6-person liferaft will be showing up there next week.

All the best

Richard

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom