Current ICW trouble spots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As stated in previous posts Florida is a large state with many different terrains and insect realities. But for someone contemplating a move from Portland, OR to the Sunshine State I would suggest spending a week in Florida during the months of either June, July or August prior to making permanent arrangements to live here. Bugs are a minor annoyance compared to the heat and humidity. You won't have to worry about those screened porches because you will be in an airconditioned box of some sort for the duration of summer.......

Florida also has very distinct climate differences. South Florida does not get US weather patterns. Now, in Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville and through that area you get oppressively hot weather. In South Florida it never reaches those temperatures, never crosses 96 or 97 and generally cooler.

In Fort Lauderdale, the average high in July and August is 90 degrees. In Miami 91 degrees. Humid but always a nice breeze off the ocean. We moved from Charlotte NC so no change in the summer climate for the most part although Charlotte could spike higher than South Florida. We miss the humidity when we travel to colder areas where heat is used indoors drying the air out. It's just what one likes. And for any making a major change I would recommend spending time there if possible the worst time of year, but recognize it is the worst and not the average.

The bugs and heat are all myths to keep our northern friends at bay (with very limited success in Florida). Nothing gets us rednecks' blood pressure up like a Yankee towing a U-haul. :D

Greetings,
Sorry to interrupt the travelogue/history segment of this thread BUT we made it to Titusville this evening. When we left Palm Coast this morning, a mile out of the marina the fog was thicker than Paddy's porridge. Crept along at 5 knots sounding the horn every minute or so. Lasted about 1 hour and then had a slow run (no wake zone) down the ditch for about 2 hours. The most relaxing boating I've done in a long time. I wasn't glued to the sonar and I could actually look at the McMansions and to digress into the digression, yes, most of them had the screened in people cages.
One thing I noticed that had given me concern before heading off two weeks ago was the slick the Lehmans left on the water on start up. Checked this morning, and nary a trace of slicky-ness. Must have blown out all the left over slobber I accumulated over the less than marathon cruising years.
OK, now you guys can get back to...

storm-troopers-dumbo.gif

Greetings,
Sorry to interrupt the travelogue/history segment of this thread BUT we made it to Titusville this evening. When we left Palm Coast this morning, a mile out of the marina the fog was thicker than Paddy's porridge. Crept along at 5 knots sounding the horn every minute or so. Lasted about 1 hour and then had a slow run (no wake zone) down the ditch for about 2 hours. The most relaxing boating I've done in a long time. I wasn't glued to the sonar and I could actually look at the McMansions and to digress into the digression, yes, most of them had the screened in people cages.
One thing I noticed that had given me concern before heading off two weeks ago was the slick the Lehmans left on the water on start up. Checked this morning, and nary a trace of slicky-ness. Must have blown out all the left over slobber I accumulated over the less than marathon cruising years.
OK, now you guys can get back to...

That's making me dizzy. So now that you're officially noting the screened porches, note when they stop as you continue. My guess is not far north of West Palm.

You do sound like you're enjoying your trip and you seem relaxed even when running through mud. Being on the water has always been relaxing to me. It was somewhere I could always put the office out of my mind.

You guys have just about convinced me to take the ICW off the bucket list. Bugs and running through mud has no appeal.....

Oh dear lord! Is that some of the land based activities you have been enjoying as you meander south? All part of #3 of your trip punchiest... I'm sure no beer was consumed at that event.

You guys have just about convinced me to take the ICW off the bucket list. Bugs and running through mud has no appeal.....

We enjoy the ICW in small doses. We prefer to travel outside. But each trip we'll go inside to different ports.

Greetings,
Mr. k. Not all the events are land based. There are several aquatic events as well...
The Regatta...
th

and bobbing for pig's feet...(well, water IS involved)
th

just to name two. I expect copious amounts of alcohol ARE consumed but it's all in the friendly spirit of competition.
Mr. BB. We'd prefer to go outside as well but the weather has NOT been conducive to venturing offshore and currently there are only the two of us so overnight passages would not be safe IMO.

He is doing the ICW with a 5-6 ft draft. There is a lot less mud and stress if your draft is 3.5" or less.

Bugs are manageable and probably no worse than in your neck of the woods.

Don't let these horror stories scare you!

Greetings,
Mr. D. Agree 75%. There are STILL some pucker factor locations but quite easily manageable with some planning and awareness. If one has a vessel with an air draft of less than 18' or so, one would have to wait for fewer bridge openings.

He is doing the ICW with a 5-6 ft draft. There is a lot less mud and stress if your draft is 3.5" or less.
What a difference a foot will make. With a draft of 4' 6" the depth of the ICW wasn't an issue for me traveling from Fort Myers to Maryland last April. Did manage to bump some going in and out of a few anchorages though. Definitely worth doing. Enjoyed the wildlife in the undeveloped areas.

Ted

3 1/2' or less? There are not a lot of boats transiting long distances on the ICW that fit that parameter. We do have a boat with 3'5" but its not a boat used for long distances.

As to someone saying a lot of difference in 4'6" vs. 5-6', I suspect not as much as you think. Most of the time if one scrapes they would have anyway, just a bit later. Some have fewer problems along the way due to timing, season, tides as they hit the worst sections, avoiding the shoals, and then just plain luck. But not a lot of spots where the clearance is in that narrow range between 4'6" and 5' for instance. Also as was pointed out a lot is anchorage and/or marina dependent.

Then there are those who don't even realize they're hitting. Yes, we were behind one that we ended up at the same marina. We commented about glad they didn't get grounded over the shoal were they got the mud. They were like "What are you talking about? We had plenty of depth." The were in mud at least three times. I think perhaps they don't count it unless they get stuck. They were in a Nordhavn and maybe they just didn't feel it.

As to someone saying a lot of difference in 4'6" vs. 5-6', I suspect not as much as you think. Most of the time if one scrapes they would have anyway, just a bit later. Some have fewer problems along the way due to timing, season, tides as they hit the worst sections, avoiding the shoals, and then just plain luck. But not a lot of spots where the clearance is in that narrow range between 4'6" and 5' for instance. Also as was pointed out a lot is anchorage and/or marina dependent.

While you do need to stay in the channel, I don't think there is any part of the ICW from Stuart, FL to Norfolk, VA that you can't navigate regardless of normal tide levels with a 4' 6" draft. With a 5' 6" draft, tidal stage will be a factor in some areas. Needing 22% more water is significant. The tough part is knowing where the deep water is and staying in it.

Ted

While you do need to stay in the channel, I don't think there is any part of the ICW from Stuart, FL to Norfolk, VA that you can't navigate regardless of normal tide levels with a 4' 6" draft. With a 5' 6" draft, tidal stage will be a factor in some areas. Needing 22% more water is significant. The tough part is knowing where the deep water is and staying in it.

Ted
:thumb:

3 1/2' or less? There are not a lot of boats transiting long distances on the ICW that fit that parameter. We do have a boat with 3'5" but its not a boat used for long distances.

There are quiet a few with 3.5' or less in the 42' and under category. My 38' Fu Hwa is 3.5'. A couple of my favorites, the Great Harbour N37 and the Endeavour Powercat 44' are under 3'. The Island Pilot 40' is about 3'. The Bayliner 4788 is under 3.5' as is the 44' Thompson. All of them are capable of long distances.

There are quiet a few with 3.5' or less in the 42' and under category. My 38' Fu Hwa is 3.5'. A couple of my favorites, the Great Harbour N37 and the Endeavour Powercat 44' are under 3'. The Island Pilot 40' is about 3'. The Bayliner 4788 is under 3.5' as is the 44' Thompson. All of them are capable of long distances.

Not saying they aren't. Just don't see a lot of them going long distances on the ICW. When I'm out there, that's not what I see. Maybe they're just not there when I am. But you're certainly right that there are boats with shallow drafts.

Slow going

We came through Mud River and low tide in late October but we only draw 3'8" and were "white knuckled" at times but never dusted. We only ran 1000 RPM's and "floated" when the depth finder read 4'

Greetings,
Advice to proceed through areas at low tide suggest we may run Mud Creek one to two hours after high tide Sunday. Comments? I'm against it, Admiral says no problem. I'm nervous.

RT, We are in Stuart, are you stopping here? Howard

Greetings,
Mr, hm. Misfortunately, we can only wave as we pass by. Our plan is to meet our kids in Ft. Lauderdale for March break. Sooooo.....we're making time while we can. Tentative, we'll be in the Lake Worth area Friday night, possibly stay an extra night in the area to let the seas calm down (3'-5' with 6'ers mixed in for Saturday) and go outside to Ft. L (seas forecast 2'-3') on Sunday. Throw out a couple of lines and troll for dinner.

Where are you docking in Ft. Lauderdale? I know a spot in the middle river across from the Galleria Mall on Sunrise Blvd. that should be available long term, or perhaps short term as well, for a very good price if you're interested?

Greetings,
Update: While checking hydraulic steering fluid level this morning, discovered a blown hose on the ram. RATS! Weird fitting connecting hose to solid copper. Renting a car and going to Fort Pierce to try to get one made up. Yup, tried NAPA and a couple of other auto supply/hydraulic stores. They can't even identify what the fitting is so no joy in Mudville thus far. Hey, it's all good. We need mayonnaise anyway so the car WILL come in handy...At least it happened in the marina and NOT on the ICW. As I said, it's all good. So, Loggerheads @ Vero Beach for one more day. It's NOT snowing and I'm pretty sure I can rustle up some fresh shrimp. Jambalaya anyone?

pamyup.gif

Greetings,
Mr. 11. Thanks. But evidently, according to the young lady I was speaking to at Parker at 11:30hrs. they don't sell to the general public. Got them made in Fort Pierce (Turner Industrial). 2 for less than $40.

Greetings,
Mr. 11. Thanks. But evidently, according to the young lady I was speaking to at Parker at 11:30hrs. they don't sell to the general public. Got them made in Fort Pierce (Turner Industrial). 2 for less than $40.

Wifey B: You're not general public. You're the famous (almost put infamous) RT Firefly. How dare they.

Wifey B: You're not general public. You're the famous (almost put infamous) RT Firefly. How dare they.

Ditto!!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Back
Top Bottom