Sunkyong Marine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JAZZO

Any information about this manufacturer most appreciated.* There has been a 37' for sale for a very long time and the price keeps dropping.* Wondering if there are any well know (except*to me!) problems/issues/defects?

is it the one on the TN River system in northern Alabama somewhere around Guntersville/Goose Pond? If so- from the pics I've seen it needs a considerable amount of work but I've not personally seen it.

Yes, that is the one.* She does look in kind of rough shape--especially seems like the decks may have issues.* But with the price now at $22K seemed work exploring!

Jazzo,

Just wrote a long reply and it disappeared! We have a 1979 flybridge sedan we bought in 1998 for $20,000. Over the past 12 years we have completly re done it.

Watch for leaky windows, upper helm seat leaks into overhead. The stringers on ours needed work also. Most of our problems were poor maintainance by the PO. We had a good survey that caught the bigger problems.

Our engine is a Perkins 6.354T rated at 160 hp. Fuel consumption is 1.7 gph at 7 knts 2.5-3 at 8 knts and a lot more at 11 knts top speed. We have a Flowscan. Plenty of space to work around and on the motor. Fuel tanks are in the lazerette and easy to remove to repair. Yeah did that too.

There is another one in Florida listed around $25,000 that looks like a huge bit of work.

If you would like to know more about what we did over the years please contact me at datenight@aol.com or give me a call 860-885-8382.

Good Luck

Rob
37' Sedan

-- Edited by Datenight on Monday 29th of November 2010 09:46:27 PM

The pics of the one in Guntersville area that the seller sent me a while ago sure looked like that boat would be a heck of a lot of work but I've not personally inspected the boat to confirm.

I'm glad I am not in the market, and not in the area. The admiral would take one look at those granite/corian countertops and the extra freezer space and I'd have to be trying to get out of another project!

Thanks to all of you for your comments!* And yes, my typo does seem appropriate.**Obviously we are boat hunting.* Looking forward to doing the cruising life*for at least a few months in the next year or two.* Like most we have champagne tastes and a domestic beer budget.* Love this website--will keep checking in often.* Will have to put a picture of our current boat--a 17' Cape Horn--on so all will know we are in the searching mode.* Thanks again.

Jazzo

What and where are your cruising desires?

If you are coastal or loop cruising you may want to consider a well found 15 year old*Bayliner 32' - 36' or similar that is ready to go. At least have a look at a few. All FRP and lots of space.

I boated for years on most of the loop and I'd find Bayliners, Carvers, Cruisers etc galore. My boat was a 36 Trojan gasser - perfect for me at that time and place.

I'd run from a boat that has SUNKY as any part in its name.
Just kidding, never heard of or seen one they may be fine boats.
Steve W

Like most we have champagne tastes and a domestic beer budget.

You will need skills and tools specific to GRP and plywood repairs.

And LOTS of time and effort, after you learn how to do the repairs.

I'm looking at purchasing a used trawler (my champaigne taste and my budweiser budget are somewhat conflicting).* I saw that sunkyung trawler listed, also.* Saw your post and the replies.* I couldn't find any info or websites for the manufacturor.* I'm assuming they are no longer in business.* However, any trawler on the market for 20,000 $ would probably require tons of work and money to bring back to "ship shape and bristol fashion" condition.* I don't mind changing out a diesel engine with marine gear, which would probably double the cost of*my purchase.* When you get into serious structural repairs, i.e. engine beds and related stringers, the costs begin to get serious.* This is the realm of professional boatwrights and boatyards.* Hope you have luck locating a trawler

i have this boat: sun kay young

hi
i have a 1979 sun kay young (so it says on a black embossment on the top of the boat!). I also have very hard time finding info...but i love this boat. love it. it has a perkins diesel engine. had it for about 3 years now . I live on it with my 16 year old daughter. we love it. :thumb:

What's with all these ******* appearing all over the posts lately. Is it some twitter/fango/facebook type of code...?

Peter* I don't know* what your talking**about***:D

I think the *stuff* showed up a lot on threads that carried over from the old website program. This thread is originally from 2010.

New to the forum

I just bought a 39' aft cabin with twin perkins . I was wondering if anyone had any info on the manufacturer other then the yacht was built in south Korea

Back
Top Bottom