Need for loudspeaker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
To me it's obvious that a boat should have a high-quality 7X50 binocular, but I wonder about a loudspeaker/bullhorn.* Seems to me*the volume-multiplication*of a person's speech*could come in handy at times, but what do you trawler-folk think?* Do you carry one?

We have not found any need for a bullhorn on the boat so we don't carry one.* However we know people who do and it works for them.

When we bought it our boat was equipped with a panel-mounted loud hailer/intercom and when the original unit burned up (literally, one more reason we never operate the boat from the flying bridge) we replaced it with a Standard Horizon LH5. It comes in extremely handy, particularly when anchoring. There is a two-way horn mounted to the overhang over the windshield and a two-way speaker up on the flying bridge.

The horn above the windshield provides a great way for the person running the boat and the person operating the anchor windlass to communicate. We tried the walkie-talkie headsets and found they were more of a hassle than a benefit so we got rid of them. With the loud hailer/intercom we just talk to each other.

The intercom is also very useful when guests want to ride up on the flying bridge. We can carry on a conversation with them from the lower helm station, which is the only helm we use.

The LH5 incorporates a variety of timed horn signals. While the speaker horn is not anywhere near as loud as the boat's dual air horns, the loud hailer horn provides a nice timer for blowing the air horns. When the loud hailer horn goes off whoever's at the helm hits the button for the air horns.

When running in the fog it's sometimes impossible to hear the horns of vessels around us over the engines under the floor. By switching the intercom function to the speaker horn we can amplify the outside sounds so we can hear them inside at the helm station over the noise of the engines. This is particularly helpful when we are cruising in the fog through the channels and passes used by the Washington State or BC ferries.

The one thing we have not used our loud-hailer for is communicating with another boat or people on shore. But I've been on a friend's LCM6 landing craft when he used the same Standard Horizon LH5 setup we have to communicate with our wives on a pier during a tricky docking in very high winds, and it worked very well.

We don't use our loud-hailer/intercom a lot but it has proven to be the best communication solution for those situations it's suited for.

There are fancier and more versatile hailer/intercoms on the market--- Furuno makes a pretty snazzy one, the LH3000, that has a very snazzy price tag to go with it--- and some of the upper end VHF radios incorporate hailer/intercom functions, too, if you don't want to install and wire up a stand-alone hailer unit.

We've found the Standard Horizon LH5 is just fine for our needs, and since it was replacing the earlier hailer there was already a place in the panel for it and the wiring, two-way horn and flying bridge speaker were already installed.* But if you're installing electronics and wiring from scratch you might find one of the high-end VHF units with a hailer/intercom function to be a more compact way to go.

-- Edited by Marin on Sunday 28th of November 2010 03:35:01 AM

markpierce wrote:

To me it's obvious that a boat should have a high-quality 7X50 binocular, but I wonder about a loudspeaker/bullhorn.* Seems to me*the volume-multiplication*of a person's speech*could come in handy at times, but what do you trawler-folk think?* Do you carry one?
I carried one for many years as part of the safety equipment required for CG Auxiliary Search and Rescue work. I did use it on occasion when trying to communicate a plan with a disabled vessel off my stern. With a boat off my bow, I would use my built in hailer, but at the stern the handheld did the trick. Of course, if the other vessel has a VHF, then hailers are not necessary. I don't do CG work any more, but I still keep the hailer handy. It would also serve you giving instruction to an individual in the water.

We had a Uniden Vhf/Hailer combo unit. I really liked the hailer with fog signals that the unit featured and it was nice to have a second vhf on the bridge to run on a secondary channel. We used the hail function almost every time we anchored... set on the lowest setting ... set on high and they could hear you in southern Cal when using it in Canada!. It came in handy in a lot of situations and we will be installing the same unit on our new boat
HOLLYWOOD

http://www.amazon.com/UNIDEN-UM625c-Fixed-Hailer-Marine/dp/B000MGO9EK

-- Edited by hollywood8118 on Monday 29th of November 2010 08:19:55 AM

Attachments

• 41h6plkcfal._sl500_aa300_.jpg
    41h6plkcfal._sl500_aa300_.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 156
Automatic fog signals are my favorite part of a hailer because in fog you are busy "looking" to the detriment of every thing else....like counting seconds. I have never actually hailed anyone but I have had a fog signal answered at what seemed to be close quarters. That will get your attention.

-- Edited by Doc on Monday 29th of November 2010 03:48:42 PM

-- Edited by Doc on Monday 29th of November 2010 03:49:25 PM

Most new VHF radio's have one built in all you need is a speaker.
I have used mine several times. Mostly yelling at idiots to slow down in a no wake zone.

SD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom