Bottom painting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vahevala

Vessel Name
Vahevala
Vessel Make
52’ Kristen Custom Flybridge Trawler
After haul out last fall I had planned on having my hull soda blasted and then wait until spring to apply 2-3 coats of barrier coating followed by the anti-fouling paint. Soda blast guy never showed up so now I'm figuring on next year. I was under the assumption that recommended procedure is to let hull dry out as long as possible before re-application of barrier coat and anti-fouling paint. Now someone is telling me to proceed with the work anyway. The boat has several layers of paint on her and I want to make sure and get this right for the best results possible. A few small blisters on her noticed at haul out last year but nothing major that I could see. Slap another coat of bottom paint on now and wait until next year or proceed with the whole job now? Suggestions?

Can you just add a coat of anti foul and wait till next year?

Last edited:
If you plan to do the barrier coats . Do the job properly , blast, grind open blisters , check hull with meter, write readings on hull 6" apart, store inside a warm buidling, helps to have a uv light banks under the hull, steam clean the hull monthly, Take readings periodically. When no further change, your good to go epoxy fill blisters and paint. etc.

Thanks for replies - I figured best to wait until next season and do the job properly. Just the confirmation I was looking for - thanks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom