Deck crane ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks. Your stern will look great with a swim step when you do. My brother owned a Pilgrim 40 here in Texas, lost it in Ike. He always wanted a swim step but could never configure one that would look proper on her stern. He wrestled with the dinghy issues with her too. Good Luck, she'll look nice whatever you do.

Glen

Almost done . Need to add some cleats and that's it . Because of the transom door and to keep everything on center we could only go 3 ft wide at the transom mount . We splayed each davit so I could wind up 4ft centers at the pickup point . We made some heavy duty back up plates also . I've got some old teak blocks coming from FF for the rigging .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 91
Marty: Why get complicated with blocks and lines when you can simplify with a hand winch, a single SS block and 5400 lb. Amsteel line?

Attachments

• IMG_0270.jpg
    IMG_0270.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 97
Marty: Why get complicated with blocks and lines when you can simplify with a hand winch, a single SS block and 5400 lb. Amsteel line?
Well I guess I'm still kinda hung up (no pun intended) on traditional sailboat stuff . I might even go with a CQR one of these days :hide:I also think FF gets a kick out of helping me fix this old work boat up , but without your photoshop ideas and everyone here with their suggestions I would not be this far with this project . I almost put the dinghy on the roof , but most everybody here said:nonono:

Almost done . Need to add some cleats and that's it . Because of the transom door and to keep everything on center we could only go 3 ft wide at the transom mount . We splayed each davit so I could wind up 4ft centers at the pickup point . We made some heavy duty back up plates also . I've got some old teak blocks coming from FF for the rigging .

Marty,
That is some Premo work! Keep us up to date.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Looking Great

These are the blocks I got from FF . I'm pretty sure the are homemade but in decent shape. A little clean up,sanding , maybe a fresh coat of oil some new line and shackles , they should come back nice.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 88
"I'm pretty sure the are homemade but in decent shape."

They were std on TT sail boats from the 70's.

Probably were home made there, but by the hundreds!

"I'm pretty sure the are homemade but in decent shape."

They were std on TT sail boats from the 70's.

Probably were home made there, but by the hundreds!
What TT stand for ?

Just finished mounting these .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 118
Yes it did hurt . The guy that made them had already drilled the holes , I would not have put in that many. I have a 1/4 sst backing plate on the backside . I would have like to install them about 3" higher but it was too tight the closer I got to cap rail .The boat is a two piece hull and liner . I had to cut hand access holes in the liner to get to transom. I only had about three inches to work with between hull and liner. Hindsight I would have drilled and tapped the backing plate . It would have made the install much easier. My hands are already pretty beat up but now the they look like they have been thru a meat grinder and all cuts are sealed with 4200.

Last edited:
Man....that's really a nice looking setup. Hope it performs as well. With that rather narrow gauge, the gusset supports you put underneath the davits may be useful in keeping the dinghy still.

Man....that's really a nice looking setup. Hope it performs as well. With that rather narrow gauge, the gusset supports you put underneath the davits may be useful in keeping the dinghy still.
Thanks Larry and Sailor.
The pick up points on the davits are 4' part and the dinghy is at 5 ' apart , I'm hoping this will help keep the dinghy still also . That transom door made it tough to work around .

Finally hanging. . Still needs some tweaking with the blocks and rigging but it's not on the sawhorses anymore . Thanks everyone for your support .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 91
I love it when a plan comes together. Congrats PM. :thumb::thumb:
Thanks CP , I could not have pulled this off without the TF . When I started out I was going to put it on the roof . From xbank saying don't do it to Marin's cold hard facts ,
manyboats looking forward to seeing it and Healhustler 's photoshop,you and everyone here pushing me forward thanks so much . The TF is place for help .

Congratulations! That is something to be proud of. Looks great.

Glen

Finally hanging. . Still needs some tweaking with the blocks and rigging but it's not on the sawhorses anymore . Thanks everyone for your support .

Wow, nice job. What Dinghy is that? I want one exactly like that with a sailing rig and two sets of Oarlocks; One for single pulling, and one for taking my baby out for a sunset...

Wow, nice job. What Dinghy is that? I want one exactly like that with a sailing rig and two sets of Oarlocks; One for single pulling, and one for taking my baby out for a sunset...
Thanks. It 'a a Trinka 10 ft. . I bought it used and it did not have the sail rig with . I rowed it today for the first time and it just ghost along .

Fantastic result, and so appropriate, Marty. Hope you've got the ole drain plug out of it when on the davits. That thing would hold a lot of water.

One day a couple of years ago, I arrived back at my boat to find the dinghy hanging just as I left it on the davits, but broke in half. Somehow, the davits and rigging held as the boat filled up with water from storms, and the glass hull snapped. The drain plug was gone as was everything else left in the boat, apparently fell out the bottom when she cracked. I never learned what happened but my guess is that something else clogged the drain.

Thanks Larry , the dinghy has one of those factory installed self drains . But you still have to push it open .

That really looks great, Marty. I can tell lots of forethought went into every step. I like the look with the wooden blocks.

Does it swing forward clear of the transom brackets or will you be adding a rub pad? It's hard to tell if the rub strip touches the bracket or tubing.

I like the cable harnesses you rigged for lifting. They look strong and professional.

I assume your bride is prepping for her next varnish job. She sure does good work!! Congrats on the new addition to W Liam! :hide:

That really looks great, Marty. I can tell lots of forethought went into every step. I like the look with the wooden blocks.

Does it swing forward clear of the transom brackets or will you be adding a rub pad? It's hard to tell if the rub strip touches the bracket or tubing.

I like the cable harnesses you rigged for lifting. They look strong and professional.

I assume your bride is prepping for her next varnish job. She sure does good work!! Congrats on the new addition to W Liam! :hide:
Thanks FW , I have a small hooter ( fender ) that's what we call them in TN between the dinghy and transom holding it off the brackets . The cable harness is not working very well . I'm going to need something that will swivel at the top also to keep the blocks ligned up , probably a couple of swivel shackles. I need to do something to the three point harness in the dingy . Right now I have the middle tightned down so that I can get more lift height . But when I do that I can't get the three point harness unhooked from the dinghy . The side hook ups are to tight ,maybe a cam cleat on the center pick up point so I can loosen and tighten to be able to unhook all the dinghy harness . The harness came with the dinghy . It's an option that the PO added when ordering dinghy .
Joy is done with varnish work this year . She said the teak on the dinghy can get that weathered look .:ermm:
I know I should have removed the entire name on the transom but time wasn't on my side to get those davits mounted . By the way the heat gun works great for removing the letters .

Most likely you will need to put 4 pad eyes in the Bottom of the boat ,

to be able to raise it high enough and stay stable.

It seems to get more stable with more weight added . This was my first time rowing with more than myself .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 91

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom