Buying Woes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seaK

Hey all. Here is the latest in our quest. After passing on one trawler with a stringer issue I stumbled upon another. We found a by owner in pristine condition....same owners for 20 years, meticulous records, clean etc etc. Owners were helpful and honest. When we were seeing boat spouse noticed some moisture by engine. Thought it was from owners hosing down boat right before. Well we put in an offer pending sea trial and surveyor after seeing boat. Owners accepted. That night owners called and said they had investigated moisture further and it was a leaking fuel tank. So hmmm.:banghead:

Might be time to take a step back, let them fix or replace the tank, then reconsider the offer based on how wet the area below the tank is and how well the survey comes out.

I would have thought if the "moisture" was fuel, you would have been able to tell from touch or smell or even spread of the liquid.

So, did the owner tell you the fuel tanks are leaking or is moisture dripping down from the tanks from perhaps humidity?

i would recommend you not have them fix it.
I think it is better for you to know what it will cost to have it repaired correctly and negotiate that off the price. Buy the boat then fix it yourself.

Their motivation to fix it is just to sell it, not to fix it right.

I think it is better for you to know what it will cost to have it repaired correctly and negotiate that off the price. Buy the boat then fix it yourself.

Agreed:thumb:

I completely agree, assuming you are otherwise satisfied with the survey.

... Owners were helpful and honest. When we were seeing boat spouse noticed some moisture by engine. Thought it was from owners hosing down boat right before. Well we put in an offer pending sea trial and surveyor after seeing boat. Owners accepted. That night owners called and said they had investigated moisture further and it was a leaking fuel tank...
Unless the owners are out to impress you with false integrity, you may be onto something good, decent people willing to disclose. I agree you are better doing/having done the fix, be sure you get the full cost allowed, in my experience negotiated allowances are rarely enough.

they sound like good people, give them a chance to make it right.

I had an accepted offer on a boat and the owner's broker called to say they were moving it and had an engine problem so had to delay the sea trial. After asking them for a written mechanics report from the Cummins distrubutor they refused and said they needed 2 weeks to do repairs. I pulled my offer. If they had allowed me access to the details and the repairs I would have followed through. If you get involved with the fix and have your surveyor oversee the repairs (at their expense)you should be fine. Would not pull out if they are being straight with you.

If they had washed the boat in anticipation of your visit, water may have run down the fuel fills to the tanks. Re-bedding the fuel fill pipes at the deck will fix that. Be sure to look for rust on the tops of the tanks. Howard

They are very decent people. We know of them through the community here. It is part of the appeal of the boat frankly...they have taken very good care of it and were willing to spend several hours with us going thru the boat revealing warts and all.

Good luck, it is your money and happiness on the line, take your time.

My opinion is, you know these people, I would let them fix the fuel tank.

I would then ask them to explain or document to you how they fix the fuel tank, I'm assuming they're going to replace it with a new one?

Then you'll be buying a boat with a brand-new fuel tank and it won't cost you extra or over and above what you negotiated or anything else. It will just have a new field tank.

How many tanks does it have? If more than one I would be concerned about the condition of others that aren't leaking. I figure things like this are like shoes you don't wear out just one. Good luck

I agree also.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom