Current ICW trouble spots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Probably pass by you northbound on Sunday or Monday.....in Jax tonight St Mary's and Jekyll following nights.

I had no issues with The Mud on the way down....I thought it was worse near McClellanville, SC...4 foot draft on my boat.

Greetings,
Mr. RC. I suspect you're correct. The option this morning was a very short day from Isle of Hope GA to Kilkenny Creek GA or ? The Admiral noted there was free dockage in Darien GA. 6 miles up the Darien River. So Darien it is. Soft grounding part way up. Got off just fine with the aid of ebbing tide running about 3+ knots. Will leave Sunday AM and run Mud creek about an hour before high tide depending on the tidal speed in the Darien River. It's all good. Hope to be in either Jekyll Island GA or Fernandina Beach FL. Most probably the former. LONG day today and I'm cooked. I'm not 58 any more...Was sort of looking forward to staying at Kilkenny Creek again. Now THAT place has character...

So how did you like Darien? Has become a regular 3 day layover. But my buddy drops off a car which makes it an ideal stop, otherwise as far as it is a shallow winding, poorly marked river...not sure how many times I might stop there.

Spending 3 days there coming up with an old friend from Jersey.

Long run up just for the night. Next time if you get the chance, the Fort is a nice day trip/walk.

The alternative to Kilkenny is Sudbury up the next river...about the same flavor and the Crab place is better.

After Jeckyll....if you have never done Fernandina...worth one trip but after that it is expensive for what you get. Stasted going to St Marys instead, nice little town. They also have a free dock that says 6 hrs...we plan to use it for dog walks but anchor out.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. RC. I suspect you're correct. The option this morning was a very short day from Isle of Hope GA to Kilkenny Creek GA or ? The Admiral noted there was free dockage in Darien GA. 6 miles up the Darien River. So Darien it is. Soft grounding part way up. Got off just fine with the aid of ebbing tide running about 3+ knots. Will leave Sunday AM and run Mud creek about an hour before high tide depending on the tidal speed in the Darien River. It's all good. Hope to be in either Jekyll Island GA or Fernandina Beach FL. Most probably the former. LONG day today and I'm cooked. I'm not 58 any more...Was sort of looking forward to staying at Kilkenny Creek again. Now THAT place has character...

Kilkenny Creek is a must stop! The restaurant there is awesome as well.

Greetings,
Mr. ps. We're in Darien right now for the night. I'm currently too tired to walk up the dock to take a look-see so any comment as to it's attractions would be baseless. I will agree with you regarding the winding, poorly marked, shallow in spots trip up here though. I hope I can get back down the river to the ICW unscathed tomorrow. It's STILL all good.
Mr. w. Last time I was through KC there WAS no restaurant in spite of the fact one being listed in the guides etc. Fellow at the desk replied when I asked about the restaurant "Which one? There's been three in the last 2 years..."
Darien is a better stop logistically as an approach to Mud Creek at the best time for the tide.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. ps. We're in Darien right now for the night. I'm currently too tired to walk up the dock to take a look-see so any comment as to it's attractions would be baseless. I will agree with you regarding the winding, poorly marked, shallow in spots trip up here though. I hope I can get back down the river to the ICW unscathed tomorrow. It's STILL all good.
Mr. w. Last time I was through KC there WAS no restaurant in spite of the fact one being listed in the guides etc. Fellow at the desk replied when I asked about the restaurant "Which one? There's been three in the last 2 years..."
Darien is a better stop logistically as an approach to Mud Creek at the best time for the tide.
Free glass of wine up there...you sure you are too tired? :D

I liked the restaurant in Kilkenny 15 years ago...2 years ago it was pretty consistent with all the other waterfront tourist traps for 1000 miles...but then again to be fair...I should give it another try....the burden of a 6 knot boat...:facepalm:

Greetings,
Mr. ps. Nope, not even for the free glass of wine (don't drink) and the Admiral is having a red of some sort with the pasta I threw together. A very nice young lady (Rebecca) came down to welcome us shortly after we tied up and DID mention the free wine for boaters and a few of the attractions in town.
The regular dock master is attending to his ill spouse. We wish her well.

They have one at Isle of Hope too....they keep boats on your trailer for you and launch them like a forklift operation....tides are too large for forklifts and many locations are unsuitable for conventional ramps so they are actually pretty common.

Greetings,
Mr. ps. Nope, not even for the free glass of wine (don't drink) and the Admiral is having a red of some sort with the pasta I threw together. A very nice young lady (Rebecca) came down to welcome us shortly after we tied up and DID mention the free wine for boaters and a few of the attractions in town.
The regular dock master is attending to his ill spouse. We wish her well.
the dockmaster is a very nice gentleman and from what I have gathered a big part of making the facility what it is. I too wish his family well.

hope you recover because if you plan on Jekyll and never been there...walking around is definitely worth it!

I run the Little Mud River at high tide. In addition to Hell Gate, you need to be high tide for Jekyll Creek. Good Luck.

Call a towing company for conditions in the area., You don't want to get stuck in the mud on a falling tide.

BandB.
Just following the thread about abandoned derelict boats.
We have a similar problem on a smaller scale around the Canal Du Midi in the South of France. You know the story some guy decides to buy a cheapie and sets off full of b*ll and vinegar to sail to the sun, finds it's not his style, can't manage it or wife/girlfriend/significant other half abandons ship and then abandons the boat
The local navigating authority (VNF) put a notice on the boat and if it's not claimed/moved after 12 months lift it out, smash it with a Caterpillar and put it in a dumpster and send the last owner a bill.
They've found it's cheaper, cleaner for the environment and a deterrent to most others.
Just a pity that some people are so inconsiderate and spoil it for others.
Sad that these

Last edited:
Greetings,
Many thanks for all your help and suggestions. Crossed into FL about noon today. DID soft ground in Jekyll Creek but we're down to less than one grounding per day so it's all good. 75F forecast for tomorrow. May drive from FB and put those shorts on...

sitm.gif

Excellent! Thanks for the update.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Like many bad spots on the ICW....depends on your draft and tolerance for dragging you keel through a little mud.

Greetings,
Annnndddd....They're off! Heading south from Palm Cove Marina (Jacksonville Beach). Rising tide, good nights sleep and a happy crew. Planning on making Palm Coast (just north of Daytona FL) by this PM. Who knows, who cares?
Mr. ps. Don't mind the mud too much, after all, it's just mud. What I don't like is things that go clunk, crash, kablooey.

ibb5MVzi0IvJ9V.gif

A relatively naive question for you seasoned boaters. Being a newbie and heading north next month, are these "hot spots", low water - mud spots, shoaling, etc. also a concern heading North? I would assume so, but thought I would ask anyway.

Thanks!

Currently in St. Augustine, Fl

Rt, my Grandson in college at St. Augustine fishes around the inlet. He tells me that they have reset the markers in the ICW at the intersection with the inlet channel. Just watch the markers as they may not match the chart.

A relatively naive question for you seasoned boaters. Being a newbie and heading north next month, are these "hot spots", low water - mud spots, shoaling, etc. also a concern heading North? I would assume so, but thought I would ask anyway.

Thanks!

Nope, they're only on the South bound side. Put there intentionally to discourage Northerners from coming South. :rolleyes:

Ted

Nope, they're only on the South bound side. Put there intentionally to discourage Northerners from coming South. :rolleyes:

Ted

Ted, if the mud doesn't get those Yanks, the green head and deer flies usually send 'em packing.

My pops would call northerners "damn Yankees" They come south and never go home!

I call them, as I am.....snowbirds! This year has special meaning for you all on the east coast...

Have fun RT and remember: It didn't happen if there are no pics...Are you really in FL? mmmmm

Green head and deer flies are hybrids especially bred in the South as Yankee deterrents. Then we have our stealth weapon the no see'ems. You can't see them but they pack a wallop that drives Yankees crazy.

Thanks!

The water is plenty deep going north. Only shallow going south.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom