Engine and electrical work in Jacksonvile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggy8321

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Hannah Bea
Vessel Make
Tiara 4000e
I have just blown my second *set* of Balmar regulators (aprox $800 a pair) and am just a bit upset.

I am looking for a Cummins (preferably mobile) mechanic that also knows electrical/charging systems in St. Augustine or Jacksonville area of Florida.

Thanks,
Paul

Check to see that you do not have an intermittent or a high resistance in the sense line that goes to the batteries through a 10 amp or less fuse. This can cause some serious overloading. I would explain to Balmar what the circumstances were and see what they suggest....

I would check with Bo at First Mate Yacht Services in St. Augustine. Top notch mechanic.

I have just blown my second *set* of Balmar regulators (aprox $800 a pair) and am just a bit upset.

They wouldn't be too close to the exhaust manifold would they? The circuit boards may have melted if they are.

See the post on Hall of Fail. There is a pic of a melted Balmar regulator which was too close to the exhaust manifold.

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas. I took her in to Holland Marine in Green Cove Springs this morning and we'll see what they come up with.

Donsan, although an excellent idea, mine are mounted to the stringers away from anything and are going to be as cool as the engine room allows.

The last set of regulators were installed in the fall and I have only run the boat less than 20 hrs. Unfortunately, I don't know what fried the last set of regulators. I also replaced the batteries, 4 4D AGMs.

For those that might be interested, I will let you know what we find or do.

Thanks again.

Are regulators matched to alternators? Unusual for a reg to die unless struck by lightning or overloaded by a too large of alt or it otherwise drawing too much field current. Or getting wet.

Have you checked your batts? If there is a shorted cell alt amps go through the roof, and field amps go up likewise.

This will take some detailed sleuthing..

I replaced my Balmar reg with a Ford Autolite adjustable reg which cost about 35bucks. My engine came out of a tiara with a balmar alt, which a little snooping revealed to be an autolite ford alt. So far so good with 2000hrs since installed. 13.8Vdc all day long.

I replaced my Balmar reg with a Ford Autolite adjustable reg which cost about 35bucks. My engine came out of a tiara with a balmar alt, which a little snooping revealed to be an autolite ford alt. So far so good with 2000hrs since installed. 13.8Vdc all day long.

Thanks Ski. Yes the alternators are matched to the regulators. I should find out more tomorrow (I hope).

I would really appreciate some part numbers of the Autolite products you used. I'm sure others here would also appreciate that info.

Paul

Marine Services of Florida 386 586-7579 Peter Grady
Has done lots of work on our boats. They are mobile

Ditto:...I would check with Bo at First Mate Yacht Services in St. Augustine. Top notch mechanic.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom