Anybody run little Bahama bank at night?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N4712

Guru
Vessel Name
Oliver
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
We're planning on running over night from Port Everglades to Green turtle. I've ran the bank numerous times and the sea of Abaco but all in daylight. I'm thinking it's all relatively strait forward and should have no problem, got radar, got chart-plotters and paper charts. Also I never leave home with out the Mark 10 eyeballs. :)

Last edited:
I've run it a number of times in the past. What areas do intend to run at night?

Once on the banks it will be very straightforward, getting on the banks may be the sticky part. Crossing barracuda shoals the most crucial. Depending on your draft you may want to cross onto the banks at memory rock.

Once on the banks it will be very straightforward, getting on the banks may be the sticky part. Crossing barracuda shoals the most crucial. Depending on your draft you may want to cross onto the banks at memory rock.

We were planning on doing Memory rock. We draw 6' so it's not even in the cards.

You should have no problem at memory. I have been across barracuda many times with 5.5 ft but would hesitate to do so at night.

We are thinking about going back. Our current C-map charts aren't the Explorer version so it's time for an upgrade. We'll also look at Dodge's crusing guide. Thanks for the recommendation.

We are thinking about going back. Our current C-map charts aren't the Explorer version so it's time for an upgrade. We'll also look at Dodge's crusing guide. Thanks for the recommendation.

Oh ok, I should have said CMap, Gamrin, and explorer charts. The CMap charts are on CE. Also have CMap Charts in MM3D version on our Furuno.

Oh ok, I should have said CMap, Gamrin, and explorer charts. The CMap charts are on CE. Also have CMap Charts in MM3D version on our Furuno.

Well that should be enough charts to get you through. :)

Way don't you time it so you do more of the open water in the dark and arrive in the Green Tuttle area in daylight?

Well that should be enough charts to get you through. :)

Way don't you time it so you do more of the open water in the dark and arrive in the Green Tuttle area in daylight?

I want to make the most of my time. I don't care if I show up at Green Turtle in the Dark, I'll just anchor out and wait for daylight.

I want to make the most of my time.

Could you translate that statement?

I ask because the best time for many people to leave Fort Lauderdale and exit Port Everglades is evening. We're fortunate in that we can run it all during daylight hours but if we couldn't, I'd do what was suggested and start at such a time as to spend the night crossing and land at a convenient time. We recently had several night transits in Central America and we timed them all to arrive in daylight. Plus it's never dark at Port Everglades so leaving anytime is easy.

Could you translate that statement?

I ask because the best time for many people to leave Fort Lauderdale and exit Port Everglades is evening. We're fortunate in that we can run it all during daylight hours but if we couldn't, I'd do what was suggested and start at such a time as to spend the night crossing and land at a convenient time. We recently had several night transits in Central America and we timed them all to arrive in daylight. Plus it's never dark at Port Everglades so leaving anytime is easy.

Im running within a limited time frame and want to maximize it. Also we will be towing our 17' CC, if for some crazy reason it wanted to break free in the gulfstream I'd rather it be in daylight.

Im running within a limited time frame and want to maximize it. Also we will be towing our 17' CC, if for some crazy reason it wanted to break free in the gulfstream I'd rather it be in daylight.

So your time frame available starts and must start early morning? Just trying to understand since it's not the total time, so I figured it must be the starting time. Is there a reason you can't start the night before? Then you'd get there sooner.

If your tender breaks free how do you intend to put someone in it if it's to rough to pull the mothership right up to it?

If your tender breaks free how do you intend to put someone in it if it's to rough to pull the mothership right up to it?

Good question, frankly. I don't know.

Boat hook? lol. Best thing would be to have safety duplicate lines from boat to tender.

Boat hook? lol. Best thing would be to have safety duplicate lines from boat to tender.

Usually we run a second rope through the gimbal on the towline to the trailer eye connection. I think it's a pretty good back up. If the main towline breaks I've got bigger problems as it's rated for 50k lb's. Also going to run a soft shackle between the two legs of the main tow line. It will be our first time with it, as the old one is now a back up.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1425875897.305301.jpg

Good question, frankly. I don't know.

Here is what I do. I set up a large inflatable tube like you tow kids around in with, with a 100 plus feet of line on it. That way I can put a crew member in it with an inflatable life vest on and tow them to the tender. They can grab the tender and flop into it from the tube. But if they fall out you can release the tube and they have a "liferaft" to get in or hang on to. Plus you can see the tube very well even in rough seas as opposed to trying to see just a floating person.

Of course if it's to rough you just have to write off the tender because it's not worth hurting or killing someone over it.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, when I tow I always leave the keys in it so it's ready to start quickly.

Last edited:
Here is what I do. I set up a large inflatable tube like you tow kids around in with a 100 plus feet of line on it. That way I can put a crew member in it with an inflatable life vest on and tow them to the tender. They can grab the tender and flop into it from the tube. But if they fall out you can release the tube and the have a "liferaft" plus you can see the tube very well even in rough seas as opposed to trying to see just a floating person.

Of course if it's to rough you just have to write off the tender because it's not worth hurting or killing someone over it.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, when I tow I always leave the keys in it so it's ready to start quickly.

:thumb: I have a old tube laying around so that works out perfect, thanks!

Your chosen route is almost hazard free. The freight boats do it all the time. Just don't hit Center of the World rock or you may be on the cover of the Abaconian. Going north of Sail Cay watch for sail rocks as you come around. Going south give Sail Cay at least 2 miles due to the long sand ridge that you will not be able to see at night.

Towing large tenders is common place today, all over New England that's all you see, well founded supported mount on towed vessel and extra heavy duty bridle is what you need.

Your chosen route is almost hazard free. The freight boats do it all the time. Just don't hit Center of the World rock or you may be on the cover of the Abaconian. Going north of Sail Cay watch for sail rocks as you come around. Going south give Sail Cay at least 2 miles due to the long sand ridge that you will not be able to see at night.

:thumb::thumb: Exactly what i was going to do. I still wonder how that frickin' rock got right in the center of the channel. :)

Towing large tenders is common place today, all over New England that's all you see, well founded supported mount on towed vessel and extra heavy duty bridle is what you need.

Yep, Ive seen tenders upto 43ft towed here. We have all overkill on the hardware side so nothing should go wrong.:blush:

Put a radar detector on the t-top of your skiff so you will pick it up on radar at nite.

I've run it that way a couple of times. Went on the Bank once north of Memory Rock, and once at White Sand Ridge. You should have 12-18 ft of depth to Great Sale. Hit the Explorer Charts waypoints, and you should be fine.

Oliver, when are you going?

Last edited:
I've run it that way a couple of times. Went on the Bank once north of Memory Rock, and once at White Sand Ridge. You should have 12-18 ft of depth to Great Sale. Hit the Explorer Charts waypoints, and you should be fine.

Oliver, when are you going?

Well the new plan is leave the evening of the 1st and arrive the evening of the 2nd at Green Turtle Cay depending on how good of time we make we'll go in and dock or if it's to dark we'll anchor our front and wait till the morning. Stay there a couple days then onto Marsh Harbour. We'll be heading home the 10th or 11th.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom