Best Boating-Related Movie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not strictly boat movies but boats were important to the plot, Key Largo and To Have and Have Not. Both with Bogey and Bacall.

Well, in that case, I have to mention a couple James Bond movies: Live and Let Die, Dr. No, and Thunderball.

Eric, Wind had some spectacular racing sequences but I thought it suffered a bit from some cheesy acting. MrJim, I'm a TCM junkie too and I like about anything Alec Guinness ever did; so I'll watch for that one.

Here's one that predates the Poseidon Adventure and, if I recall, made an attempt at technical accuracy.

I also like this one better than The Titanic.

Here is the passage from Master and Commander I was referring to, it is on page 52:

The sun had reached Dr. Maturin ten minutes earlier for he was a good deal higher up: he, too, stirred and turned away, for he too had slept uneasily. But the brilliance prevailed. He opened his eyes and stared around very stupidly: a moment before he had been so solidly, so warmly and happily in Ireland, with a girl's hand under his arm, that his waking mind could not take in the world he saw. Her touch was still firm upon his arm and even her scent was there: vaguely he picked at the crushed leaves under him-dianthus perfragrans. The scent was reclassified-a flower, and nothing more-and the the ghostly contact, the firm print of fingers, vanished. His face reflected the most piercing unhappiness, and his eyes misted over. He had been exceedingly attached; and she was so bound up with that time......

He had been quite unprepared for this particular blow, striking under every conceivable kind of armour, and for some minutes he could hardly bear the pain, but sat there blinking in the sun.

'Christ,' he said at last. 'Another day.'

I've known scribes who'd give part of their anatomy to write that well. Looks like I'm re-reading the series. ;)

Mr Jim, Remember the big sailing catamaran in Thunderball? When I was a kid I ran a small boat between the hulls. Nobody even yelled at me. A couple of years later, there it was in the movie. I think it was called the Tropic Bird. I wonder what happened to the Disco Volante? It was in Miami a few years after making the movie, but then it disappeared.

I've known scribes who'd give part of their anatomy to write that well.

I know scribes who are very grateful that they don't. That passage is the very definition of pretentious, gushy writing. Thanks for posting that-- it's been awhile since I slogged my way through the book and with all the praise it's been getting here I was thinking maybe I should take another look at the series. That passage reminded me why I shouldnt.:)

I know scribes who are very grateful that they don't. That passage is the very definition of pretentious, gushy writing. Thanks for posting that-- it's been awhile since I slogged my way through the book and with all the praise it's been getting here I was thinking maybe I should take another look at the series. That passage reminded me why I shouldnt.:)
One man`s fish is another man`s poisson.

One of my favorites not mentioned yet - The Bedford Incident

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet here, but I am surprised if it wasn't: Deliverance.

Master and Commander (own it)
Docu/movie: Shackleton (own it)
Book: Into the Heart of the Sea, the sinking of the whale ship Essex.

In addition to Captain Ron which makes me laugh...
Boatniks (classic Disney)
Operation Petticoat (pink submarine - a favorite for certain)
Utopia (has a big schooner taking Laurel and Hardy to paradise)
Wackiest Ship in the Army

Houseboat
What's the one set in the pacific islands with the curmudgeon coast watcher and the French lady with all the girls? I used to have it and suspect my daughter "borrowed" that one. Cary Grant most likely (she likes him almost as much as I do)

Short story re Mr. Grant, er Archibald as he was known back in those days: On Cape Cod, my dad's sister was quite a looker. Red hair (it's a family trait) and the star at that time was just a guy on the make. Apparently my dad was being a pest as only little brothers can. He (Archibald) gave Daddy an 1865 Indian head penny to go away. We still have the penny.

Not sure if Lucy ever got her fellow, but my Dad had the penny in his box when he died.

As for humor, most of the books by Daniel Gallery, USN Retired.
Cap'n Fatso, Eight Bells, Clear the Decks, etc. He was the leader of the carrier task force in WWII that captured the German sub U-505 that now resides in Chicago. I'd be tempted to do the loop JUST to see that boat, er, sub. Back in the day, I sold the museum there my First Edition of Eight Bells. And if you shop for the books, the paperback version of 8 does not have the photo section found in the hard-cover.

Hands down favorite though is Captain Ron. My tastes run toward fun not high-stakes excitement. Jaws (the book) was littered with the F-word. Bah humbug.

But you know, I loved Rescue from Gilligan's Island. Ginger is new but otherwise all the actors returned. It's cheesy and I liked it a lot. I'll watch it later today.

The guy who did the Mountain Family Robinson movie series also made one called Sea Gypsy with the same older girl too. In that one a kid stows away and there is a ship wreck off a remote Alaskan island. I bought Sea Gyspy (digital version from Amazon) and learned to my chagrin it can only be downloaded into two computers. It's available still via broadband but I am Beyond Miffed that I cannot access/download it again for watching at my leisure on the boat.

That's it for my suggestions.
Mr. Limpet (Don Knotts turns into a fish) has WWII ships. I have that aboard Seaweed too. Don Knotts' Reluctant Astronaut tickles my fancy too, along with the Ghost and Mr. Chicken.

"What's the one set in the pacific islands with the curmudgeon coast watcher and the French lady with all the girls?"
Janice, that would be "Father Goose" with Leslie Caron. She was perfect in it.

Remember the scene in Father Goose where they were all in a little dinghy being pushed by a Seagull engine trying to cross open water between islands? That was scary.

Patrick Stewart did a great job portraying captain Ahab in the tv version of Moby Dick

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom