Tablet Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have NanNet but not 3D. We use all PCs and Windows at work and it is a troublesome, clunky operating system that drives our IT peopke up the wall. Our new Ford pickup's entertainment/phone/etc system is by Microsoft and based on our experience and the experience of a number of Ford user groups it is extremely troublesome, unintuitive, and difficult to troubleshoot and fix.

Given Murphy's Law that says nothing will give you problems until it's important that it doesn't, we simply eliminate the potential by not using their stuff whenever possible.

I find my sync quite easy to navigate, also like how you can change the background.

We have NanNet but not 3D. We use all PCs and Windows at work and it is a troublesome, clunky operating system that drives our IT peopke up the wall. Our new Ford pickup's entertainment/phone/etc system is by Microsoft and based on our experience and the experience of a number of Ford user groups it is extremely troublesome, unintuitive, and difficult to troubleshoot and fix.

Given Murphy's Law that says nothing will give you problems until it's important that it doesn't, we simply eliminate the potential by not using their stuff whenever possible.

I agree with you 100%. I'm usually at the head of the line for windows bashing. I was mostly noting that buying a dedicated chart plotter unfortunately doesn't necessarily mean no windows. And it's an unfortunately reality that Coastal Explorer is a windows program. I manage to survive that by essentially not using windows for anything at all. Touching it seems to be what breaks it. By the way, my windows 7 that runs CE actually runs on a mac under VMWare. So it's really a Mac with a little shell surrounding and enabling CE. It's like handling pathogens with a hazmat suit.

Last edited:
Touching it seems to be what breaks it.

Exactly, that's why I'm glad my sons introduced me to the wonderful world of Apple. Frankly I was sick and tired of being a beta tester for Microsoft. Only thing needed to make Apple products work is recharging when the battery is low.

I find my sync quite easy to navigate, also like how you can change the background.

Our truck was a special order as we wanted a combination of features and packages the dealers never order on their own. After reading all the user horror stories about the upper end Sync, the one with the large touch screen, we specified the base-line Sync even the though the rest of the truck had packages which included the high-end Sync system.

So ours has not been too bad, although we have had to resort several times to user-discovered remedies to reset the system to fix specific problems, remedies the dealers and Ford's own Sync help staff apparently know nothing about.

At one point I had heard that Ford was going to drop their association with Microsoft and switch to RIM (Blackberry). Which seems a rather amazing and illogical move. But I was looking at a 2015 F150 at the dealer the other week and it has the same MS Sync system the earlier years have.

Our truck was a special order as we wanted a combination of features and packages the dealers never order on their own. After reading all the user horror stories about the upper end Sync, the one with the large touch screen, we specified the base-line Sync even the though the rest of the truck had packages which included the high-end Sync system.

So ours has not been too bad, although we have had to resort several times to user-discovered remedies to reset the system to fix specific problems, remedies the dealers and Ford's own Sync help staff apparently know nothing about.

At one point I had heard that Ford was going to drop their association with Microsoft and switch to RIM (Blackberry). Which seems a rather amazing and illogical move. But I was looking at a 2015 F150 at the dealer the other week and it has the same MS Sync system the earlier years have.

Oh ok. The one I've been using is in a 2015 Expedition, it has a maybe say a 7-8" touch display.

The touch can be a little slow at times but is fine most of the time.

The touch can be a little slow at times but is fine most of the time.

If it ever gives you trouble I suggest you do what our engineer here at work suggested and did with me and that's type your problem into Google and see what you get. In our case, it came up with all sorts of links to user groups, forums, and individuals who had or were having the same problems we were. There were some really clever solutions, one of which proved to be the perfect solution to our particular problem.

It is a solution the dealer had never heard of and Ford itself had never heard of. But it worked great. in fact when I told the dealer about it--- they had been totally baffled by the problem we were experiencing--- they added it to their own Sync service manual.

The Microsoft Kids can be defeated but it can sometimes take a fair amount of digging to accomplish it.:)

Last edited:
I've had my iPad II for 3.5 years now. I chose iPad because, the iNavX is only available for iPads and only iNavX supports CHS charts which are "must haves" for me. Yes, I've got $600 in CHS charts on my iPad and backups on the Admiral's.

The problem with tablets is they lack a mouse and (normally) a proper keyboard. Navigation of spreadsheets is just too cludgey on a tablet. I do all my MS Office stuff on the laptop.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom