View Single Post
Old 03-05-2015, 02:00 PM   #257
eyschulman
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Eric-- One final comment and then I think I'm done. If you put the weight close to the anchor you are in effect making the anchor heavier, which in itself is not a bad thing of course.

But if there is a lot of pressure on the rode, the angle of pull on the weight will be quite high which will reduce the effectiveness of the weight and may even lift it thus increasing the angle of pull on the anchor itself because the weight is so close. So you're back to where you started.

If the weight is farther out from the anchor the pressure will still lift it up but because there is some distance now between the weight and the anchor, the angle of pull on the anchor will be somewhat less. Which is all that matters.

As I said, all-chain elminates the need to screw around with the "where to put the weight" question which is why we chose to use it.
No I think the whole point of the modern deep digging anchor is lost and completely ignored in this all chain concept and the ensuing arguments. Its the anchor and how it is balanced or designed to set then dig in that counts when it comes to holding power and that has little if any thing to do with all chain or all rode. The arguments for all chain as to ease of use have some merit especially in a poorly set up windless -wildcat situation. chain is better for abrasion resistance. Rode especially modern braid is cheaper stronger lighter handles shock loads and comes up much cleaner and stores better in a locker and does not rust or stain. When a digging anchor goes 3 or 4 feet down it matters not maybe for the first 3 feet(wire best) what attaches it to the boat it is going to hold a lot better than a Bruce- plow or other none deep digger. Use a deep digger learn how to use it ,have a windless wildcat that can handle chain and rode set the angles and sizes right and some form of chain rode combo is an excellent combination. There will be boats that have trouble with the combo not because it does not work but because the particular set up on that boat is wrong.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote