Boat choices for liveaboards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CPseudonym, thanks for pointing out Chris Crafts, some really good for what I have in mind.

That said, I see they are now fairly old boats, even the relatively newer ones are from mid 80s. If I decide to buy one of those at $200k price range, should I be concerned about excessive maintenance costs or a very low resale value down the road? If not, I should definitely give this a serious consideration.

That's great news but I would try to nail that down in writing. Taking the slip and paying for it in advance of the purchase if needed.

We have considered buying a boat in Santa Cruz we really don't like just for a slip in the harbor. Some areas are crazy around here.

Edit: There's a couple of older fiberglass 50ish foot Chris Crafts in the area that may work well for both your needs and budget.

Thanks Bayview, your point is spot on and well understood.

I started my search with house boats with the same logic but it becomes quickly clear that new house boats in Bay Area are a non-starter, which took me to trawlers.

My goal is not cruising but I also don't see it as a wise expense to buy something that can't practically move when necessary. If one day I decide to move somewhere else like Seattle or South California or maybe even the east coast, I would want to take the boat with me as my mobile home. As others have pointed out, the moment you decide to move out of SF Bay, you need to be ocean capable or you are stuck within the Bay. Also the resale value would concern me if the cruising ability of the boat is well below average. I am not expecting this to be an investment to gain value but at least I am hoping to keep the depreciation at a minimum.

The large wood desk loaded with electronics seems incompatible with most boats folks would want to take on 1000 mo offshore passages unless you get into much large boats. Probably beyond your price.
The lifestyle you propose sounds likes houseboat but the trips sound like a sailboat.
For now your setup sounds just right but moving it afloat without compromise is probably not do able.
Why anyone would want to adopt a pair of diesels and all the boat systems to mostly live tied up boggles the mind.

CPseudonym, thanks for pointing out Chris Crafts, some really good for what I have in mind.

That said, I see they are now fairly old boats, even the relatively newer ones are from mid 80s. If I decide to buy one of those at $200k price range, should I be concerned about excessive maintenance costs or a very low resale value down the road? If not, I should definitely give this a serious consideration.

Short answer is if you take care of it, no. If you let it go, yes.

Hatteras, Chris Craft, Bayliner/Meridian, DeFever and many others are all decent marquis, what you're buying is the previous owners level of care. I've seen fantastic examples of all at good value prices, have also seen all as complete dogs darn near ready to drag out of the water and be scrapped.

I've heard a few different owners of large Hatt's caution that the systems tend to be more complex on them than others. After boarding a couple I tend to agree in general terms with that sentiment. The Bayliners I've been aboard tend to have systems that are less complicated, no 32 volt dc system is one difference. Least complicated of the 3 are the older still Chris Craft I've been aboard. The interiors on all three are nice and functional with Bayliner being the least traditional. I haven't been aboard a DeFever so will not comment beyond saying their owners love them and they look stunning to my eye.

Probably shoulda sent this as a private message but I'm a big boy and have my asbestos underwear on :D

Applause to Tenedos

As a newcomer posting to ask for opinions, he has listened and responded. Seems natural but look how many post and then disappear. And he has thanked persons for their responses. That's the way you get responses and assistance and a model for new members.

Thank you.

I think that any of the boats that CPseudonym mentioned will meet the OP's needs: a capable cruiser, not a dock queen, lots of room, well built.

And as BandB just noted, the OP has been very responsive to feedback. Often this isn't the case and the thread deteriorates to an internal debate, usually far flung from the OP's original question.

So my advice to the OP is togo out and look at them and report back what you have found.

David

Last edited:
A few more not to overlook

Grand Banks, Fleming.

American Tug. Nordic Tug.

KK.

As a liveaboard, Grand Banks really has some nice layouts with good interior and deck space. The older ones tend to be smaller and so it's difficult to find the 50 footers.

Thank you all. I have more than enough to research for a starter. Now time to make a shortlist and start seeing these boats firsthand! I will report back, probably with more questions once I have a better sense :)

Once again, thanks, this has been most helpful.

Grand Banks, Fleming.

American Tug. Nordic Tug.

KK.

As a liveaboard, Grand Banks really has some nice layouts with good interior and deck space. The older ones tend to be smaller and so it's difficult to find the 50 footers.

Last edited:
Most of the old marques have bottomed on their depreciation slide. The values still bounce around because of the quality of the systems. So, if you keep up the maintenance you wont see a drop in the boats value. But you probably wont see an increase in value for what you've spent either.

You forgot to insert a "just kidding" emoticon there. That may be one of the single worst ideas I have heard yet, it has to be a joke. "How to take a $150,000 boat, invest $40,000 in it and turn it into a $20,000 boat!"

Sorry George, yes it was tongue in cheek!:)
I'll take that $20k boat though!:D

OK - So here's my input!

Find a good condition 48’ Tollycraft: 1973 to 1991 +/-. Do not be afraid to make an offer that pleases you; this is a buyers’ market… especially in the “classic” used boat arena. Tolly boats are bullet proof well built craft, laid out nicely, fairly inexpensive to operate, extremely livable and sea worthy… while they hold their value – if you purchase at the correct price. Feel I must warn you… I am addicted to Tolly’s. Many other makes of boats mentioned here are also really fine crafts. But, IMHO, after decades around boats on many levels, regarding decade old classics in 2014 market… Well looked after Tollycraft boats top the list!

Some ad links on Yachtworld. Also check out CL for Seattle.

Happy Boat Chozen Daze! - Art

tollycraft Boats For Sale

tollycraft Boats For Sale

Also consider that living aboard a boat but planning to someday take it on a long offshore trip requires a high degree of maintenance despite not being used. A dock queen taken out the gate will not likely have a good result. Both you and the boat need to be exercised. Though motoring slowly across the slot in summer afternoon will shake things up a bit as well.

Many long distance cruisers (loopers) do it with gas engines, no radar, no laundry, not even a decent fridge.

And in many situations they can easily walk ashore if there is a problem.

One huge advantage to the Hatts is the support you can still get from Sam's Marine (spin off of their parts department) and the factory itself, for your specific hull#. I came to appreciate this immensely as time went on. Other than what creative POs may have added, you can get very complete, well written owner's manuals, detailed wiring diagrams and schematics, the works. Complexity=flexibility, and is not an issue if you have the decoder ring. The longer I owned my boat the more grateful I became we bought a Hatteras.

As for the office, the advantage to the Hatteras "no built-ins" salon is that is it completely user configurable. We found a full desk at Staples that matched and fit perfectly, here's an old picture, we could have put in a real office chair and a big L desk easily:

DSC_0405.JPG

Big sporties are cheap and make great liveaboards with VERY good sea going capabilities. Lots of them for sale. Hatt YachtFishers top my list, but lots of 53 Hatt sporties available, With 12v71 nats, or maybe 8v92 TTs.

Choices

We have friends that purchased boats to be used as live a boards for at least as long as you can live aboard each year here in Michigan. In both cases they chose older cruisers with gasoline engines. The cruiser style maximizes the living space and the gasoline engines minimize the cost. If you are not going anywhere, the gasoline engines are not an issue. The condition of the bottom is an issue. One of them found that he had blister when he hauled out last fall.

Dan Girvan
Gyspsy Spirit
Albin 36

Unlimited ways to live aboard. None inherently better or more right than the other. Just like land living. I know people living in mansions and I know people living in RV's and both groups are happy.

Check out the 50' Marine Trader if you want space. In your price range...typically twin Lehmans. Then be sure you have a slip in calm water as they do rock at the dock.

You forgot to insert a "just kidding" emoticon there. That may be one of the single worst ideas I have heard yet, it has to be a joke. "How to take a $150,000 boat, invest $40,000 in it and turn it into a $20,000 boat!" Those old Detroits are old because they will take you anywhere your fuel capacity will accommodate: don't know much about them, do you?

Bad idea if the objective is a dock queen. Brilliant idea for a cruiser. One used replacement engine, combining chain boxes from Ramsey Silent Chain, stabilizers. Simple maintenance and quite good fuel payoffs. I'd buy a 58-61 Hatt in that configuration in a New York minute.

Liveaboard needs

I'm no seasoned mariner, but this is a huge condo with plenty of liveaboard room.

55' Cheoy Lee Flushdeck:

No audio (what was the broker thinking?).

Why is this design called a "flush deck"? I've seen other boats with that model description but I must be missing something.

Kevin
Portland, OR

A 'flush deck' is a design where the deck has no stairs or blockage from stem to stern.

But then this would also be a 'flush deck' :eek:)
79851012338524825.jpg

Last edited:
I'm no seasoned mariner, but this is a huge condo with plenty of liveaboard room.

55' Cheoy Lee Flushdeck:

No audio (what was the broker thinking?).

Certainly the condo. It is either staged or a dock queen and probably both. Just imagine where the lamps and ceramics would end up if it was on a cruise. Nice engine room.

Many yachts are often staged for sale....but then again many owners also have a lot of stuff glued or museum put tied down.

For trips up and down the ICW, most of that stuff might never move on a boat like that if you are careful and pick your weather.

Anyway those Chevy Lee's have a pretty good reputation across the board and making it look nice to sell can't hurt either.

Quake Hold. They make museum gels and glues and many other products. For instance, furniture straps. These are press and peel and hold up to 500 pounds, just strap to the wall. Rough water is much like an earthquake. We minimize the items we have on table and counter tops but we use quake hold museum glue on the items we do leave like that. We also use it to reinforce hanging pictures as it doesn't just keep them from falling but keeps them from swinging and motion.

Nice 55' Cheoy Lee. ER/Laundromat are spacious/usable. I like it overall!

My husband and I are new to the liveaboard life in the Bay Area and loving it. We had many of the same concerns / considerations that you mentioned and ended up buying a 50-foot Kha Shing trawler after looking at a number of other boats. We're thrilled with the decision. As it happens, we're going to out of town for two months this spring/early summer (I just posted this: http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...e-try-rent-ours-beautiful-bay-area-19315.html). It might be a good opportunity for you to give liveaboard a try? If not, we're also happy to talk about our experience.

I am a Liveaboard in the East Bay on a 35- foot tug. . I also rent an office on shore which I love. It's good to keep work away from Liveaboard. Only so much space! Also consider one of the shared offices type arrangements. Carters Cafe in Benicia is gorgeous @ $90/ month and you get off your boat and see folks other than dock types ....they have fast wifi too. Forget about wasting your valuable onboard space- sharing it w washer dryer- Do it in the marina laundry room. How often do you do laundry? I bought one of those great IKea laundry/ backpack bags. Figure out the economics. Big is not always better. More expensive. Just downsized from a 38-foot Bayliner to 35-foot . Very cozy and happy. Why pay extra dock fees to have floating laundry room? Get cool trawler lamps and light them at night. Romantic. Teak rules for liveaboards. Romantic. As I write am looking at light flickering from my brass lamp bought for $50 at Blue Pelican in Alameda. Righteous! I am a pirate wench!!!!! But where the is Johnnie Depp?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom