Tecna Toilet gurgles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OneofSix

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Always Home
Vessel Make
DeFever 47 POC
Good afternoon,

Tecma Toilet gurgles. Recent unsolved problem.

Back info - there are 2 Tecma toilets connected to an Electroscan unit. There is a Y valve that goes to the holding tank. One toilet is working ok. The other is not working at all...again.

1- When the toilet is connected to holding tank, the toilet flushes no problem. Both toilets work the same. Whoosh and the water flushes to the holding tank. That tells us the macerators are working. The toilets are working to the best of our knowledge.

2- When the Y valve is turned to the electroscan, one toilet flushes ok. The other toilet does NOT flush. Water collects in the head and gurgles. Bubbles can be seen. It is as if the toilet has lost its prime. The macerator turns on but does not pump the water out.

What's going on? Anyone have an idea? Time to call Tecma or Electroscan folks? Please advise.

Thanks

Last edited:
Should we assume that you have the hoses from both heads coming together in a "Y" fitting before it goes into the "Y Valve"?

Correct. The holding tank plumbing and the electroscan plumbing are one in the same until they are joined with a y before the y valve.

As an additional note, whether the electroscan unit is turned on or off the Tecma toilet symptoms are the same.

Thank you for your help and patience!

Last edited:
So this is your system then? No other connections?

Your picture looks exactly like what we have. The heads are approximately 6 feet apart and approximately 5-6 feet from the electro scan unit.

Thank you!

I had a dual head set up much like yours when I first purchased our boat. Both heads went directly to holding tank. When holding tank was full a separate line went from holding tank to a macerator pump then to the electroscan which treated waste for about 4 cycles. No Y valve had to be turned for this action. To me that Y valve is probably used for pump out of your holding tank in no discharge zones.
Found this system to be a pain in the petunia. Put in a new elctroscan for guest head and placed the aft cabin head to holding tank only. We use aft head more frequently therefore I wanted a simple system for that head.

Disconnect the inlet side of the Y, put it in a bucket and hit the button. If the Tecma sounds like it normally does and doesn't move water, the you have a clog.

I dunno....I thought about a clog too, but if the unit flushes fine to the tank as you reported, then what clog could there be. When flushing to the tank, there's space and ability to absorb air pressure through the breather, but not so much in the Lectrasan. It sounds to me like your one toilet is using the other for a breather cuz the Lectrasan can't handle the sudden compression. Look at your manual and see if there is a breather tube for the Lectrasan, perhaps a tube or filter cartrage that is partially clogged.

Thank you for responding.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom