Brand Of Oil And Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is not even remotely what he said.

That's true, I think. The point made was that there's no real difference between brands, at least not the major brands.

Oil type, viscosity, etc. is a different matter, and that is where what one puts in a lawn mower can differ from what one puts in a diesel engine even if the brand is the same. Temptation didn't address that issue, only the question of brand differences.

It would be nice to see Temptation stick around as there are a lot of misconceptions, urban myths, assumptions, shade-tree-mechanic practices, second and fifth hand information, and opinions floating around with regard to lubricants, additives, etc. Having someone who worked in the petroleum industry could add some facts to the mix.

I think most people stick with the manufacturers' recommendation for their engines but the topic always seems to generate a lot of interest. The most interest seems to lie in the question of using current generation lubricants in very old-generation engines. The "Can I use 0-20wt synthetic in my 1950s era Ford Lehman 120?" kind of questions. Good, bad, or indifferent?

It's always nice to have participants ikn a discussion who can offer an answer based on reality and direct experience, I think.

Sorry to see you go Temp. You could add a lot to this thread.
Please reconsider and stay with us! :thumb:
Thanks, Art

I agree w/ Art - we appreciate your inputs...:iagree: just ignore the sarcastic commentators...
Like they say - you can't fix stupid... but with duct tape you can at least muffle it!

The oil sellers always claim their oil is back compatiable .

In other words an engine built 30 years ago for C-D level of detergent will operate just fine with the latest brew J? K?

Maybe , I would prefer to look for oil that IS to the engine assemblers specs , even if it is "cheap oil" today , its the correct oil for that build..

The oil sellers always claim their oil is back compatiable..

Cat has done considerable work to insure their factory supported rebuilds on decades old engines have the right lubricants. It is not a simple task as the additives from the old days containing "protective metals" are not always permitted today due to emission restrictions. Higher ash and sulfur levels from old spec oils are not necessarily emissions compliant either.

Cat's backward compatible work I have been involved with for decades was directly tied in warranties, in other words how can a factory rebuild on a 1980s engine last for the say 15,000 hour warranty period using emission compliant oils of today? Obviously Cat's oil suppliers of choice had to get on the band wagon or lose the endorsement of Cat which they obviously did not want to do.

In some cases this led to Cat long ago entering the branded oil business, not unlike Walmart, where drums of Cat branded oil would arrive on our doorstep to be matched up with warranties on engines old and new alike.

None of this though is terribly important to the majority of marine recreational engines where life is measured in years and not usage. But the ships, large yachts, tow boats, ferries, commercial fisherman and other high hour users (gensets) are right in the middle of what oils to use to yield extraordinary long life and be warranty and emissions compliant.

Last edited:
I agree with what OC said and will add that people have or develop personal preference for various reasons. In my case, I like Shell Rotella and WIX filters. I stay away from "store" or no-name brands because I don't know who made it and I like to know.

Ken

Who makes the WIX?

Who makes the WIX?
WIX has been around for a very long time with current plant locations in NA, SA, Europe and Asia. It is not inconceivable to get a WIX plant filter painted Westerbeke red and made in Asia.

:thumb::thumb: And no, their mileage will not vary. :D

I respectfully withdraw from this discussion. Unfortunately social media instruments can't seem to support reasonable exchanges on many topics. In the boating community it appears we need to add engine oil to the list of inflammatory topics that includes anchors, VHF radios, batteries and a host of others. lawn mowers...Model A?

:banghead:

So basically you and Driftless actually have first hand experience in the industry and you both are saying essentially the same thing, but all you can do is post what you know and :banghead::banghead: because there are those who are set to do and pay what they always have, so let's not kill any sacred cows:eek:

Besides, Capt Bill just makes a suggestion for those running their gen all the time on ways to save money and look at the grief he gets.:banghead:

People vastly underestimate the power of marketing and they seldom see all, or even any of the factors, that end up as recommendations my the OEM.:hide:

So, it helps to have your expertise and in spite of the negativity, many appreciate the information and some even act on it.:D

People vastly underestimate the power of marketing and they seldom see all, or even any of the factors, that end up as recommendations my the OEM.:hide:

As someone who for decades has been involved in marketing everything from pizzas, banks, airlines and car manufacturers and now 7-series jetliners, airplane and customer support programs, and aerospace component manufactureres I can say without reservation that the above quote is as true as true can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3

As someone who for decades has been involved in marketing everything from pizzas, banks, airlines and car manufacturers and now 7-series jetliners, airplane and customer support programs, and aerospace component manufactureres I can say without reservation that the above quote is as true as true can be.

Ditto and Amen to both statements! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom