32'/34' trawlers that do 15kts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sure we'd enjoy a Kilkenny or two if we ever met up.

The Irish and Aussies are very close in personality.

We hate authority and believe in the individual above all else; and few pints of the black stuff. :D

What does 'enjoy a Kilkenny' mean?

The 34 ft American Tug with standard 370 hp Cummins will top out at 17-18 kts, and is equally comfortable cruising at 14 kts or 7 kts.

Here is an American Tug doing 17-18 knots during a full speed test run on the Champlain Canal. I may have posted this before, but it does show this SD hull is capable of planing off nicely. The ATs hold their value very well and those produced in 2001 can be found for $175K - $195K. I know of at least on AT in Europe. This appears to be outside of your price range?

Attachments

• AT 34 on plane 2.jpg
    AT 34 on plane 2.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 88
Here is an American Tug doing 17-18 knots during a full speed test run on the Champlain Canal. I may have posted this before, but it does show this SD hull is capable of planing off nicely. The ATs hold their value very well and those produced in 2001 can be found for $175K - $195K. I know of at least on AT in Europe. This appears to be outside of your price range?

It looks very capable and well balanced at 18kts.

Unfortunately my budget was '$100k or less, sort of in that region'

I might be able to get one my children ( now grown up) to chip in a few pounds.

Beneteau who make the swift trawler had a law suit concerning this.
A boat went aground on a sandy beach and the hull crumpled and the boat sank on the high tide.

The owner sued for negligence, stating the hull was too thin.
The manufacturer blamed a rock for putting a hole the hull.

Not sure who won.....

The rock.

The Irish and Aussies are very close in personality.

We hate authority and believe in the individual above all else; and few pints of the black stuff. :D

What does 'enjoy a Kilkenny' mean?

Yes, we are. Plus we both like beating the pomms :D

"enjoy a kilkenny"
180px-KK_Beer.jpg

I don`t know about the 34, but the larger ST seemed to move about/rock as I moved about inspecting it at a Boat Show. (I`m< 85kg).

Yes, we are. Plus we both like beating the pomms :D

"enjoy a kilkenny"
180px-KK_Beer.jpg

I'll give it a try; I've never tasted it before.:)

Ps: this explains why I've never heard of it; it's for export.

. Kilkenny is similar to Smithwick's Draught; however, has less hop finish and it has a nitrogenated cream head similar to Guinness. The 'Kilkenny' name was originally used during the 1980s and 1990s to market a stronger version of Smithwick's for the European and Canadian market due to difficulty in pronunciation of the word 'Smithwick's'. It now refers to a similar yet distinct beer.

Last edited:
Well there you go - never realized it was export only. The Irish version of our Fosters I guess (no one drinks that down here).I should have said 'enjoy a few guiness'.

Well there you go - never realized it was export only. The Irish version of our Fosters I guess (no one drinks that down here).I should have said 'enjoy a few guiness'.

Wow, I never knew Fosters wasn't available in OZ.

Bloody advertising executives messing with our minds. Lol.

The Fosters brand is now owned offshore by Miller SA. Kirin of Japan is another big offshore based brewer of "local" beers.
Rusty, I don`t think it was one too many Fosters, I really was surprised at the ST movement.

The Fosters brand is now owned offshore by Miller SA. Kirin of Japan is another big offshore based brewer of "local" beers.
Rusty, I don`t think it was one too many Fosters, I really was surprised at the ST movement.

Maybe that's the swift trawler bit; it's a lightweight for its size. The St 44 which is 2' longer than the GB42 weighs 11tons Vs. The GB's 16tons.

But instead of the GB 1/2 mpg, the St44 does:
1500rev. 8kts. 13ltrs. 2.8 mpg
2600. 15kts. 58ltr 1.2mpg
3600. 24kts. 117ltr. 0.95 mpg

Impressive!

Last edited:
16 kts.

For 22 years we owned a 32 Albin Sportfish. While not exactly a "trawler" that is what we used her for. Cruises on Long Island Sound; to FL and back; and the Bahamas. She cruised easily at 16 kts. burning 8 GPH and 10 GOPH towing a 16 foot center console. We often cruised at hull speed (travelled quite a bit with "real" trawlers) but on occasion it was nice to get up and go across the stream from FL to Abaco. Or run away from a storm. Single Cummins with a bow thruster made it a very economical and easy to handle boat

For 22 years we owned a 32 Albin Sportfish. While not exactly a "trawler" that is what we used her for. Cruises on Long Island Sound; to FL and back; and the Bahamas. She cruised easily at 16 kts. burning 8 GPH and 10 GOPH towing a 16 foot center console. We often cruised at hull speed (travelled quite a bit with "real" trawlers) but on occasion it was nice to get up and go across the stream from FL to Abaco. Or run away from a storm. Single Cummins with a bow thruster made it a very economical and easy to handle boat

Was this the type of boat: 1989 Albin 32 Sportfisher Power New and Used Boats for Sale -

It's at the magic weight of about 6-61/2 tons same as MS 34' mk1.

Very good performance from 250hp.:)

32 Albin

Yes that is the boat. The first ones came with the 250; it was under powered and only made 12 kts. Mine had the 300 and,later the 350 (same engine; different turbo) and I was very pleased with the speed and the economy. I ran it from NY to FL in 98; at speed (16) all the way. It took 100 hrs. and burned less than 1000 gals. Ran it back in 07; 101 hrs (must have got lost somewhere) and the same fuel usage.
I really miss my Albin, but we downsized to a 25 Rosborough pocket trawler. Now I cruise at 60MPH...on Rte. 95!

Yes that is the boat. The first ones came with the 250; it was under powered and only made 12 kts. Mine had the 300 and,later the 350 (same engine; different turbo) and I was very pleased with the speed and the economy. I ran it from NY to FL in 98; at speed (16) all the way. It took 100 hrs. and burned less than 1000 gals. Ran it back in 07; 101 hrs (must have got lost somewhere) and the same fuel usage.
I really miss my Albin, but we downsized to a 25 Rosborough pocket trawler. Now I cruise at 60MPH...on Rte. 95!

Snap!

I'm in the process of building my little cat; the one that's under my name. it will be a trailer boat as well. 25' by 8' and 1.5 tons. It will cruise at 15 kts on twin 40hp OB's, but I'm going to run a single 90hp and a little standby which should top out at 25kts.

It'll fit inside a shipping container just! (3-4mm to spare)

I have the alloy frame bolted onto the bulwarks, and I will be riveting alco (Polythene sandwich with alloy exterior) panels onto the roof. I've become obsessed with weight as it's a cat and the designer has specified super lightweight materials.

Any pics of your trailer boat ?

Another boat that has not been mentioned is the Albin 33+3 or whatever they called it. While most were built with 2 engines, there are a few here and there with a Single Cummins 6CTA at 450hp.

In the end, You are in no man's land with your request. A 35 foot boat is just too much boat to have one engine and expect it to plane. The only reason I know this is I have been looking for this boat as well...and basically, it just does not exist. Another issue with the ones that do fit your criteria is that you are getting 15kts at WOT. If you back off to a reasonable power setting you are likely to fall off plane and end up in that very inefficient 10-12 knot range. So getting a boat with your intents with a 15kt WOT is not really what you are looking for. You want a boat that will CRUISE at 15kts. There just aren't many 35 foot boats with one engine that will do it.

NOW...That Powercat is a REAL boat that will do what you want. But you already said that is out due to marina issues. And it also has two engines.

The only other REAL boat I can think of would be the Mainship Pilot 30 or 34. I have owned the 30 footer and it was an absolutely wonderful boat. My only issue was very minimal interior space. The solution to that would be the 34. The engines got bigger as the product line evolved but I still think the older ones would have a 13-14 knot cruise. You asked if it is a planing hull. It is a semi-planing hull. But they plane out very well and have a very seakindly hull shape. My 30 had the smaller 240hp engine and it still maxed out close to 23kts....but its happy place was 15 knots at 2800RPMs.

NOW Again!!!!!.....You have to get creative ref your "trawler" criteria. Why do you want a "trawler"? There are some very decent boats out there that people will not classify as a trawler...but still meet your criteria in every other way. I do not have a "trawler" but it is a very useful boat and a very decent boat to travel in. It does have two big thirsty diesels that I just plan 1mpg. But I can get 2mpg if I go 7kts...maybe a bit more if I go on one engine. But I did not buy this boat to go slow. I bought it because I value my time and can cover more ground when I am not working. I have gone slow before and loved it and have nothing against it. I look forward to going slowly in retirement. But until then, 18kts it is.

As far as outrunning the weather...you get it as does your other mate on this thread. It is not about racing a weather system. Speed just gives you more options in dealing with weather. There are many places on this earth that have afternoon seabreezes that can become uncomfortable as they develop(Mistral???). And for Americans that are reading this.....Do you plan on going from Apalachicola, FL to the Tampa area....you can do that during daylight with a planing boat. You are in for an overnighter in a 7kt boat. Again, no big deal but why not do it during daylight? You know weather is coming and while you are not racing an actual system, you may be trying to make a crossing before the weather impacts your progress. IOW, speed leaves you less exposed.

That's all I got....for now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Another boat that has not been mentioned is the Albin 33+3 or whatever they called it. While most were built with 2 engines, there are a few here and there with a Single Cummins 6CTA at 450hp.

In the end, You are in no man's land with your request. A 35 foot boat is just too much boat to have one engine and expect it to plane. The only reason I know this is I have been looking for this boat as well...and basically, it just does not exist. Another issue with the ones that do fit your criteria is that you are getting 15kts at WOT. If you back off to a reasonable power setting you are likely to fall off plane and end up in that very inefficient 10-12 knot range. So getting a boat with your intents with a 15kt WOT is not really what you are looking for. You want a boat that will CRUISE at 15kts. There just aren't many 35 foot boats with one engine that will do it.

NOW...That Powercat is a REAL boat that will do what you want. But you already said that is out due to marina issues. And it also has two engines.

The only other REAL boat I can think of would be the Mainship Pilot 30 or 34. I have owned the 30 footer and it was an absolutely wonderful boat. My only issue was very minimal interior space. The solution to that would be the 34. The engines got bigger as the product line evolved but I still think the older ones would have a 13-14 knot cruise. You asked if it is a planing hull. It is a semi-planing hull. But they plane out very well and have a very seakindly hull shape. My 30 had the smaller 240hp engine and it still maxed out close to 23kts....but its happy place was 15 knots at 2800RPMs.

NOW Again!!!!!.....You have to get creative ref your "trawler" criteria. Why do you want a "trawler"? There are some very decent boats out there that people will not classify as a trawler...but still meet your criteria in every other way. I do not have a "trawler" but it is a very useful boat and a very decent boat to travel in. It does have two big thirsty diesels that I just plan 1gpm. But I can get 2gpm if I go 7kts...maybe a bit more if I go on one engine. But I did not buy this boat to go slow. I bought it because I value my time and can cover more ground when I am not working. I have gone slow before and loved it and have nothing against it. I look forward to going slowly in retirement. But until then, 18kts it is.

As far as outrunning the weather...you get it as does your other mate on this thread. It is not about racing a weather system. Speed just gives you more options in dealing with weather. There are many places on this earth that have afternoon seabreezes that can become uncomfortable as they develop(Mistral???). And for Americans that are reading this.....Do you plan on going from Apalachicola, FL to the Tampa area....you can do that during daylight with a planing boat. You are in for an overnighter in a 7kt boat. Again, no big deal but why not do it during daylight? You know weather is coming and while you are not racing an actual system, you may be trying to make a crossing before the weather impacts your progress. IOW, speed leaves you less exposed.

That's all I got....for now!

Thanks for all your helpful advise. :)

Unfortunately The albin 32+2 and the MS pilot have very small saloons/wheel houses although they do have the performance I was looking for; exactly like you were saying!:facepalm:

I wanted a trawler with big saloon and covered aft cockpit, with a big flybridge to get the biggest floating cottage possible in a small package. Rough weather handling isn't something a coward like me is interested in, that's why I wanted the 15 kts 'run for it ' option as well.:D

My budget of about $100k would buy an early 2000 pilot 34 but not the 2005 MS 34' trawler.

2mpg at 7 kts is more fuel consumption than I can afford; diesel is still expensive €5 a gallon, so 100 miles traveled will cost €250.

At least now I know the numbers I'm looking for: 6tons/300hp/34' by 12' for 3-4mpg at 7 kts. That's a lot more than I knew before!

Last edited:
Cold molded boat here: 38'x12', single 450. Displacement about 7 tons. 7.5kt at 1.9gph, 18kt at 9gph, 20kt at 12gph, tops out at 29kts clean bottom. Cold molded is how it's done here in Carolina- lighter than any solid glass boat, and if built well they are very strong.

But very labor intensive to build, so expensive. Unless you provide your own free labor for two years like I did. Whew..

Cold molded boat here: 38'x12', single 450. Displacement about 7 tons. 7.5kt at 1.9gph, 18kt at 9gph, 20kt at 12gph, tops out at 29kts clean bottom. Cold molded is how it's done here in Carolina- lighter than any solid glass boat, and if built well they are very strong.

But very labor intensive to build, so expensive. Unless you provide your own free labor for two years like I did. Whew..

Those are fantastic numbers, exceptional. But then after 2 years of work you've definitely earned it! 7 tons in a 38' boat is only a dream with grp.

I believe I have one more boat in me; I've already built a steel 60' by 13' barge. But in a couple of years I'll be 60 so I can't hang around too long.

What design is she?

Ski

No doubt in my mind, as compared to the other vessels mentioned on this thread, your vessel is the cream of the crop for the many reasons you have cited.

Those are fantastic numbers, exceptional. But then after 2 years of work you've definitely earned it! 7 tons in a 38' boat is only a dream with grp.

I believe I have one more boat in me; I've already built a steel 60' by 13' barge. But in a couple of years I'll be 60 so I can't hang around too long.

What design is she?

Thanks, guys.

Here's a video of it about 8yr ago. It was a prototype for a skinny water drive I designed. The drive worked well in many regards, but I could not get it to steer worth a crap offshore. Long story, many changes made, still no love offshore.

Finally two years ago I converted it to a tunnel with straight drive and rudder. Now all the handling issues are gone, and it gained 3kts. Same engine and gear, 450C Cummins, ZF280 1.514, 24x23 3b wheel.

With the new drive, it still has that nice level running angle. Hull numbers for the modified vee came from a 34 Carolina hull, stretched in length about 3.5ft by carrying existing lines aft.

Made a believer out me in terms of designing light and long.

Another boat, a very old Omie Tillet 52 I worked on- Two 300hp detroit 8v71n, topped out in the mid 20's, cruised 18-20. 52 feet and 600hp. Ran flat, too.

A modern 52 will have around 1500hp, and they lose the magic with the weight.

I know none of these are true trawlers, but they do dang well at trawler speed. With other options!!!:D

Last edited:
Rusty, I hate to say it...but you are basically looking for a boat that does not exist unless you build it yourself.

Here is my last entry into this contest!!!! And it is right up your alley although above budget. A neat honorable mention at the very least!!!
2004 Shannon 38 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Coincidently almost exactly the same numbers as Ski's boat!!!

And the Albin I was mentioning is the 33+3...not 32+2. They are very different boats!!! And only one for sale in the entire United States....World maybe. You used to be able to find a lot of these boats on YW....I guess people like them and are hanging onto them.

Thanks, guys.

Here's a video of it about 8yr ago. It was a prototype for a skinny water drive I designed. The drive worked well in many regards, but I could not get it to steer worth a crap offshore. Long story, many changes made, still no love offshore.

Finally two years ago I converted it to a tunnel with straight drive and rudder. Now all the handling issues are gone, and it gained 3kts. Same engine and gear, 450C Cummins, ZF280 1.514, 24x23 3b wheel.

With the new drive, it still has that nice level running angle. Hull numbers for the modified vee came from a 34 Carolina hull, stretched in length about 3.5ft by carrying existing lines aft.

Made a believer out me in terms of designing light and long.

Another boat, a very old Omie Tillet 52 I worked on- Two 300hp detroit 8v71n, topped out in the mid 20's, cruised 18-20. 52 feet and 600hp. Ran flat, too.

A modern 52 will have around 1500hp, and they lose the magic with the weight.

I know none of these are true trawlers, but they do dang well at trawler speed. With other options!!!:D

I love that hull with the bow flair; gorgeous boat.

I'm just guessing that the lifting prop wasn't a surface drive as the prop looked conventional. Did the prop shaft lift with a rubber membrane around the prop tube where it entered the hull, or was it a 'universal joint' where the shaft exited the hull?

Rusty, I hate to say it...but you are basically looking for a boat that does not exist unless you build it yourself.

Here is my last entry into this contest!!!! And it is right up your alley although above budget. A neat honorable mention at the very least!!!
2004 Shannon 38 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Coincidently almost exactly the same numbers as Ski's boat!!!

Looks like a lobster boat that got the bow pinched by a lobster! Very narrow forward and very wide aft; looks a bit weird and out of proportion.

About 6-7 tons seems to be max displ. That is efficient and economical as a s/d
hull and also at 7kts.

All the same a very interesting boat.

And the Albin I was mentioning is the 33+3...not 32+2. They are very different boats!!! And only one for sale in the entire United States....World maybe. You used to be able to find a lot of these boats on YW....I guess people like them and are hanging onto them.

Where have you got it hidden? Have you got a Link?

If you want speed and efficiency it is all about weight-power ratio to weight-beam wetted surface and the shape of the bottom. Ski's boat is an example of relatively light. Most of the lite build run opposite to the cottage on the water trend in trawler types and particularly in older boats. Some of the newer boats are applying the light idea where the public will accept it. I am also somewhat hesitant to believe all the fuel burn values posted for trawlers since there is little if any detailed information on how these #'s were obtained.

If you want speed and efficiency it is all about weight-power ratio to weight-beam wetted surface and the shape of the bottom. Ski's boat is an example of relatively light. Most of the lite build run opposite to the cottage on the water trend in trawler types and particularly in older boats. Some of the newer boats are applying the light idea where the public will accept it. I am also somewhat hesitant to believe all the fuel burn values posted for trawlers since there is little if any detailed information on how these #'s were obtained.

Motor boat magazine did a controlled fuel consumption test a few years ago with accurate fuel metering equipment on two Aquador Swedish boats, but with engines from Volvo cummins and Yanmar.

The result was that the figures they had been quoting for the last decade were 50% out based on manufactures figures. Bet you Can guess which way.

New boaters must get some shock when they're told a 34' trawler does 1.5mpg at 15 kts when they were thinking 15mpg would be bad!:blush:

Program on the BBC recently revealed that car manufactures figures are 25% out. They tested over 3 hundred cars and..... Most small petrol hatchbacks do about 50 mpg not 65 mph as advertised, and most small diesels not 80mpg but 60 mpg........and when you think of the variables on a boat test it's not suprising the difference in results.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom