Best Boating-Related Movie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, another side splitting, technically inaccurate as possible, all out funny movie with John Candy was "Summer Rental". That is if you like John Candy type humor. :)

Now that the subject have morphed into naval movies, I should toss in The Caine Mutiny.

What? Doesn't everybody know who Gardner McKay is? Starred in "Adventures In Paradise" in the '60's.

Truthfully, that show got me dreaming about sailing the high seas.

Oh, wow. Now that's a blast from the past! I had totally forgotten about that show.

Best Boating Movie

Naturals I'll tell ya, every one of you are naturals! (We're all gonna die.) -- Captain Ron

Could not agree more....."if it is going to happen - its going to happen OUT THERE!!!"

Captain Ron is a great movie!!!

Dennis

Oh, wow. Now that's a blast from the past! I had totally forgotten about that show.
My older sisters would run in and kick me out whenever that show was on! The only thing else I remember was the boat named Tiki. Maybe it will come back on MeTV.

What? Doesn't everybody know who Gardner McKay is? Starred in "Adventures In Paradise" in the '60's.

Truthfully, that show got me dreaming about sailing the high seas.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Master and Commander
Captains Courageous
The Sand Pebbles
The Cruel Sea

OK...here's one I haven't seen yet but really want to see. It gets high ratings on IMDB (7.9 out of 10 stars) and Rotten Tomatoes (95% critics, 86% audience)

It a movie about Sir Ernest Shackleton's expedition from 1914-1916. It's dated 2000 and it's original name was "The Endurance: Shackleton's Legendary Antarctic Expedition"...later shortened to "The Endurance."

Has anyone seen it?

I should have mentioned that this is a documentary that's narrated by Liam Neeson.

OK, since I started this I guess I get to tweak the rules of engagement to include movies that haven't actually been released yet. :D One of my absolute favorite sea books is "In the Heart of the Sea." It's about the 19th century whale ship Essex, which was sunk by an enraged sperm whale and reportedly inspired Melville to write "Moby Dick."

Soon to be a major motion picture directed by Ron Howard . . . and one I won't miss when it's in theaters in December. The trailer is typically over the top. Hopefully, the movie won't be.

OK...here's one I haven't seen yet but really want to see. It gets high ratings on IMDB (7.9 out of 10 stars) and Rotten Tomatoes (95% critics, 86% audience)

It a movie about Sir Ernest Shackleton's expedition from 1914-1916. It's dated 2000 and it's original name was "The Endurance: Shackleton's Legendary Antarctic Expedition"...later shortened to "The Endurance."

Has anyone seen it?

I have not, but it's now on my list. If it's half as good as the book, "Endurance," it will be terrific.

OK, since I started this I guess I get to tweak the rules of engagement to include movies that haven't actually been released yet. :D One of my absolute favorite sea books is "In the Heart of the Sea." It's about the 19th century whale ship Essex, which was sunk by an enraged sperm whale and reportedly inspired Melville to write "Moby Dick."

I bought that book a couple weeks ago and read the whole thing in one solid stretch flying from one side of the country to another. Very good book. Brutal and fascinating in so many ways. That book will now be part of the permanent library on our boat.

The Church at the end of the "Perfect Storm" movie is where I got married (first time!),Father Casey played himself in the movie.

Let's bring it to Petaluma for St. Patty's day.

Great idea! But let's play the movie on Patty's eve!

I couldn't care less about pirate movies.

Lifeboat is a good movie despite the wartime prejudices.

Das Boot is shown annually to all hands on Moonstruck. Without a doubt the best boat related movie of all time.

Yes, my favorite.

The Bounty- Laurence Olivier, Anthony Hopkins, Mel Gibson, Liam Neeson, Daniel Day Lewis amongst others. My preferred version of this classic story. Great videography

Yes another favorite

Here's one on video that I like.

https://vimeo.com/15351476

PUKE!

Oh, and Moby Dick was pretty cool too.

We need a new thread for fictional books!

My then teen-age son wanted to be a submariner, until he saw the movie. Das Boot.

Well at least he picked the most accurate one to dissuade him.

The acting was so incredible that it was hard to believe it was a movie. Man, what suspense and action.

OK I'll add a few, though first I must say I am a "Perfect Storm" hater.. worst use of music ever in a film and layer after layer of trite Hollywood schmaltz. Never been able to watch the whole thing.

"Mud" a great little movie, modern Tom Sawyer adventure with good acting; first thing I ever really liked either Matthey McCounaghy (sp?) or Reese Witherspoon in and great cast behind them.

Oldies but goodies:
"Mr Roberts" ... Lemmon, Fonda, Cagney at their best, great writing funny to this day.

And in the submarine category, "Operation Petticoat".

More seriously: "Sink the Bismarck"

This is a great boating movie. Um, well, OK, it's not really a movie. And I did make it. But we've been told it's a great way to spend 94 minutes dreaming about cruising the San Juan Islands... :)

Attachments

• SJI Volume 1 cover-1.jpg
    SJI Volume 1 cover-1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 69
In no particular order:

Movies:

Das Boot (in German not the dubbed version)
The Sand Pebbles
Murphy's War
They Were Expendable (very old and Hollywooded-up some but they used real PT boats)
Master and Commander
Saving Private Ryan (opening sequence)
Mr. Roberts

Books:

Captain's Courageous (better than the movie)
Castles of Steel: Britain, Germany, and the Winning of the Great War at Sea
The Boat Who Wouldn't Float
The Boys in the Boat
The Caine Mutiny (better than the movie)
Curve of Time
Shadow Divers
Huckleberry Finn
River Horse
The Fisher Queen

I started reading the Patrick O'Brien series at the recommendation of a friend and made it through one book and bailed. I found the writing uninspiring and the characters and plots too predictable and not intriguing enough for my taste. This is one case where I felt a movie was far better than the books it was based on.

Last edited:
We liked "Mud".

My second choice:
Fools Gold!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I started reading the Patrick O'Brien series at the recommendation of a friend and made it through one book and bailed. I found the writing uninspiring and the characters and plots too predictable and not intriguing enough for my taste. This is one case where I felt a movie was far better than the books it was based on.

Regarding Patrick O'Brian

One book is no basis on which to judge O'Brian's 20 volume series.O'Brian's writing was widely regarded as being some of the best fictional writing of the 20th century. The characters take time to develop, like in any good story.

However, what you end up with is one of the great literary friendships, equal to that of Holmes & Watson, Horatio and Hamlet, Tom and Huckleberry Finn, to mention a few.

These books are simply to good to dismiss in that way.

OK, time step down from this rather tall horse I have found myself riding.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom