Proposed trip to the Keys-- trying to get ready

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just replace the pump on the head!

Electronics are in good shape thanks to Oliver.

What else will break? Give me ideas...

So you have had lots of warnings about crab traps, here is some advice if you get one wrapped around the prop. Instead of a knife to cut the line off try a hacksaw. However it is rough it is very difficult to get under a pitching boat , if you are scuba certified it is easier with a tank.

I'm only snorkel certified. ?

I'll get an underwater hack saw.

Maybe I need a hooka setup now? I would like to make a cheap one.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1425324591.831596.jpg

Will this kill me if I don't use it all that often ?

I'm only snorkel certified. ?

I'll get an underwater hack saw.

Maybe I need a hooka setup now? I would like to make a cheap one.

some things you don't go cheap on!! Like life support items

:

Cardude: remember in the unlikely event you do snag a pot, try reverse before jumping in. it just might work the line free.

Polypropylene or nylon will melt into a disc right between the strut and prop. Don't bother asking how I know. Both are hard to cut off. Knife is useless. Hacksaw or chisel+hammer needed. No fun in 50F water without a wetsuit. Don't ask about that either. Brrrr.

The hull and swim platform will be trying to play "Whack a Mole" with you if it is choppy.

The advice about staying inside from manatee river to Ft Myers is the best here.
There is plenty to do and much to see. Racing to the keys is just unnecessary. New boat and new boaters, take your time and enjoy where you are the next harbor is not always better than the closest one.

If you do decide to go be aware that there will be mosquitoes in numbers you cant imagine. No cocktails on the deck at night in the glades.

View attachment 37890

Will this kill me if I don't use it all that often ?

No it will not kill you.

The reality is, getting trap line wrapped around your prop and/or shaft rarely puts you at a dead stop. In most cases you can motor on but at a reduced speed till you can get somewhere where it's calm and either dive on it yourself or hire someone to do it.

If you have to dive under a boat in rough water wearing a helmet is advised.

Last edited:
I have atrial fibrillation, going on 12 yrs now. I asked my cardiologist about taking a scuba course he said to no to compressed air apparatus. I didn't bother getting a second opinion. Take it for what it is worth, or better yet check with your Cardio Dr if you have any similar condition.

Don't get to the point of over-thinking every issue. A crab pot wrapped around the prop can be an issue but most boaters that have done this route seem to survive without extensive underwater gear. A close look-out where the pots are numerous will keep you clear.

Do your due diligence on the mechanical aspects of the boat. Have common sense safety items and buy tow boat insurance.

Now spend some time researching the places to go and the anchorages you want to visit. Create a menu and get a good cooler to keep the drinks cold and keep ice for those gin and tonics. Your refrig isn't that big. Get a good wheeled cart to carry home the groceries. How bout a bike or two. Don't forget to carry enough propane for your grill. A good dingy and motor with a lock and long cable will make life easier and way more fun. Pack enough tools to fix things. Bilge pump, sump pump, water pump, plumbing leaks, zinc changes, oil changes, won't all require your attention on a 2 week cruise but some probably will.

And most important; make sure the wife has enough wine.

We were on a sea trial last week out of Crystal River Fl, when I noticed a long line trailing behind the boat (another advantage of a flying bridge Mark :) ). The current 70 year old owner insisted he be the one to brave the frigid waters, despite my feeble attempts to let me. He got it all on the third dive. He mentioned that this was pretty common occurrence. Not even a mask, which is something I will be carrying.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom