32'/34' trawlers that do 15kts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a friend who owns a GB 32 with the Cummins 210 engine. He says that when you open it up the hull just pushes a wall of water. I think he can get her to about 12 kts.

If all you want to do is top out at 15+ kts the newer 34T will top out at 17+ with the single 370 hp engine or 19 with twin Yanmar 240s.

My Pilot 34 tops out at 18-19 kts with the single Yanmar 370.

So it can be done but it takes 370 hp or so to do it.

David

Sorry David, forgot to search for a MS pilot.
This looks promising at £76k, so only slightly above my budget.

2008 Mainship 31 Pilot Power New and Used Boats for Sale -

Aha, this only weighs 5.3 tons, that explains why it reaches 17kts.

This is a definite candidate: but only 315hp.....

Last edited:
Is the pilot 34 a different hull to the old Ms34'?
My problem is that there are absolutely no Ms 34's available in Europe. My budget is £50-£60k ($90k), so it's probably going to be a 1990's boat.
GB's yes.
IG's yes
Chb's yes

Yes, I think the newer Pilot 34s and the 34Ts are a different hull from the original '70s-'80s Mainship 34s. FWIW, our '87 Mark III (single DD 8.2, I think 220 hp) would top out at about 14kts, and that was noisy. Nice boat, though.

You might consider shopping here, and having your purchased shipped to you. I suspect your budget might buy a couple older 34s over here, with money to spare.

OTOH, would U.S. AC electrical systems present a big issue?

Have you also looked at the Mainship 350/390 models?

-Chris

Last edited:
Yes, I think the newer Pilot 34s and the 34Ts are a different hull from the original '70s-'80s Mainship 34s. FWIW, our '87 Mark III (single DD 8.2, I think 220 hp) would top out at about 14kts, and that was noisy. Nice boat, though.

You might consider shopping here, and having your purchased shipped to you. I suspect your budget might buy a couple older 34s over here, with money to spare.

OTOH, would U.S. AC electrical systems present a big issue?

Have you also looked at the Mainship 350/390 models?

-Chris

USA electrical wiring is no problem: step down transformer will covert 240v to 110v.
Not sure how much shipping across to uk would be, $10k?, plus import tax and vat would add 22% to purchase price, plus EU cert £1k......yikes!

The 350 seems to weigh nearly 10 tons.
Here's one with a single 375.....8 kts cruise or faster?
1999 Mainship 350 Trawler Power New and Used Boats for Sale -

I'm just wondering if the MS pilot 34 is a planing hull.
Does it fall into a hole between 10 kts and 15kts?
What is the minimum planing speed?
Can it cruise at a level trim at 12kts?

Beneteau who make the swift trawler had a law suit concerning this.
A boat went aground on a sandy beach and the hull crumpled and the boat sank on the high tide.

The owner sued for negligence, stating the hull was too thin.
The manufacturer blamed a rock for putting a hole the hull.

Not sure who won.....

We toured a new Beneteau Swift 34 at Trawlerfest. It was a nice looking boat with impressive performance. But everything about it felt cheap and compromised. I wouldn't want to run aground on one.

Ok now that I know the ms 34 can do 17kts with 370hp, I'm including the later Mainship 34'
I love the interior layout, much better than the old ms34.
Slightly out of my budget.
Here's a single MS 34', but this country has just joined EU so not sure if it includes vat sales tax at 20%.
2005 Mainship Trawler 34 Power New and Used Boats for Sale -

Last edited:
We toured a new Beneteau Swift 34 at Trawlerfest. It was a nice looking boat with impressive performance. But everything about it felt cheap and compromised. I wouldn't want to run aground on one.

The swift trawler and the smaller Antares range have a good reputation for sea keeping, but are very lightly built with a lot of exposed GRP on the interiors.

You pays your money ........

I'm guessing an engineer designed the latest MS 37.....:blush:
Sorta square isn't it?

Rustybarge,

My 2006 Nordic Tug 32 (now classified as the NT34),is a semi-displacement hull, with a 270 HP Cummins 6BTA. In calm wind and water, half loads of fuel and water, tops out at 18 knots. The 80% sweet spot on this engine, puts me at 12-14 knots, but I seldom cruise at that speed/rpm. Burns too much fuel. My normal cruise speed (unless I'm trying to get out of weather) ranges between 8 and 10 knots. My AVERAGE fuel burn over 9 seasons is 1.5 GPH.

I was looking for coastal cruiser, plodding along at 7kts 90% of the time with the option to do 15kts as a run for shelter option.

I see this sentiment a lot and it always concerns me. At 15kts it is doubtful you will outrun anything. In most cases whether is well predicted. You know when fronts and large storm systems are coming. Even sporadic thundershowers can be seen in real time weather radar feeds. Anything which does develop unexpectedly, even heavy squalls are typically short lived. We're not talking about getting caught in a hurricane here.

As for getting caught is a squall, this is a trawler. It can handle it.

I'd be concerned that a vessel is being chosen for a key feature that is somewhat non-existent and will not be used in the manner anticipated.

Just my .02

Rustybarge,

My 2006 Nordic Tug 32 (now classified as the NT34),is a semi-displacement hull, with a 270 HP Cummins 6BTA. In calm wind and water, half loads of fuel and water, tops out at 18 knots. The 80% sweet spot on this engine, puts me at 12-14 knots, but I seldom cruise at that speed/rpm. Burns too much fuel. My normal cruise speed (unless I'm trying to get out of weather) ranges between 8 and 10 knots. My AVERAGE fuel burn over 9 seasons is 1.5 GPH.

I love the look of these boats, never realised they went 18kts.
there's a '98 NT 32 for sale at £90k.
That's stretching my £60k budget a bit; I'll have to start saving.....:)
1998 Nordic Tugs 32 Power New and Used Boats for Sale -

I see this sentiment a lot and it always concerns me. At 15kts it is doubtful you will outrun anything. In most cases whether is well predicted. You know when fronts and large storm systems are coming. Even sporadic thundershowers can be seen in real time weather radar feeds. Anything which does develop unexpectedly, even heavy squalls are typically short lived. We're not talking about getting caught in a hurricane here.

I'd be concerned that a vessel is being chosen for a key feature that is somewhat non-existent and will not be used in the manner anticipated.

Just my .02

Thanks for your input.:)

Here in Ireland we are squashed between three weather systems: artic cold Scandinavian weather, westerly Atlantic moist air, and North African dry desert air........

We often get three seasons in one day.:lol:

So far these do the job:
Mainship 34 mk1 (250hp)
MS 34 2005 onwards.(370hp)
Nordic tug 32 (270hp)

MS pilot 34(370hp) though not really a trawler.

....making good progress, only hitch is the budget!

PS: today's it's rained, snowed (yes really ) and now it's a beautiful sunny spring day.

Last edited:
The French built Rhea Marine boats may fit your bill. You may find an older one within your price range. Most are single engine semi displacement which cruise at 15 -17 knots.
The new ones are pricey but check around for an early model.

Just my .02

If I may answere this from my perspective, Shrew - we (and by 'we' I refer to my wife and I) certainly did not (and do not) plan on useing our 15knts cruising speed to 'outrun' weather. You are quite correct that if violent, dangerous weather is predicted it is my responsibilty as 'captain' to be abreast of this information and plan or cancel our trip accordingly.

We use (and planned on using when selecting our boat) the 15knts sped to get us home in 'uncomfortable' but safe seas (in my areas case this is up to about 15-25knts of wind depending on tidal flow and wind direction) to maximise the comfort and enjoyment of those onboard.

The OP did not mention 'outrunning' weather - he said 'run to shelter'. I think he's talking about using it the same as we use ours in 'bad' or uncomfortable weather. Obviously this is my interpretation of what he said, and I may be wrong in this assumption.

Respectfully...

Last edited:
The French built Rhea Marine boats may fit your bill. You may find an older one within your price range. Most are single engine semi displacement which cruise at 15 -17 knots.
The new ones are pricey but check around for an early model.

We have a Rhea 850 here on the Shannon, lovely boat; proper fishing boat design. I've looked at it from the outside, but unfortunately it's far too small to have decent accommodation at just 28' long.

If I may answere this from my perspective, Shrew - we (and by 'we' I refer to my wife and I) certainly did not (and do not) plan on useing our 15knts cruising speed to 'outrun' weather. You are quite correct that if violent, dangerous weather is predicted it is my responsibilty as 'captain' to be abreast of this information and plan or cancel our trip accordingly.

We use (and planned on using when selecting our boat) the 15knts sped to get us home in 'uncomfortable' but safe seas (in my areas case this is up to about 15-25knts of wind depending on tidal flow and wind direction) to maximise the comfort and enjoyment of those onboard.

The OP did not mention 'outrunning' weather - he said 'run to shelter'. Obviously this is my interpretation of what he said, and I may be wrong in this assumption.

Respectfully...

....and just to blow away the cobwebs and have a blast at planing speed!:socool:

So far these do the job:
Mainship 34 mk1 (250hp)
Nordic cruiser 32 (370hp)

Don't know how important the 32/34 foot criteria is, but the Mainship 34Ts are really a bit over 39' LOA.

Don't know how important the 32/34 foot criteria is, but the Mainship 34Ts are really a bit over 39' LOA.

That's no problem as marinas over here work on length bands:
Up to 12 mtrs
12-15 mtrs
15-18 mtrs
...and the super rich.

Thanks for your input.:)

Here in Ireland we are squashed between three weather systems: artic cold Scandinavian weather, westerly Atlantic moist air, and North African dry desert air........

We often get three seasons in one day.:lol:

So far these do the job:
Mainship 34 mk1 (250hp)
Nordic cruiser 32 (370hp)

....making good progress, only hitch is the budget!

I owned a 1978 Mainship I for 14 years. I ran it with original power for 9 years, then repowered it with a Cummins 6BTA at 270 hp.
In a squall or rough seas with the original power it would get tossed pretty good.
After the repower I could speed up enough to turn the ride into a good one. NO it would not outrun a front, however it made the rough seas do-able (to me) and prevented the silverware from ending up in the salon.
My boat was always very heavily loaded and it could cruise at 15.5 knots at 2400 rpm which is the max Cummins recommended for continuous duty.
It would top out at 18+ at 2630 rpm.
You probably know all this, but I wanted to give you an other data point on the old Mainship models.
Regarding fuel consumption, the original power would yield about 2.3 nautical miles per gallon at about 7.5 knots according to my calculations.
With the repower I would get that mileage at 11.5 knots and 3.2 nmpg at 7.5 knots.
I have no idea about the consumption at 15 knots because I never ran there for more than about an hour.
I did run one time at 2250 rpm for 13 hours straight getting from Pt Pleasant NJ, to Mystic, Ct. but didn't calculate or care about economy. It was time to beat feet home from vacation and the new power let me do it.:thumb:
Happy boat hunting

I owned a 1978 Mainship I for 14 years. I ran it with original power for 9 years, then repowered it with a Cummins 6BTA at 270 hp.
In a squall or rough seas with the original power it would get tossed pretty good.
After the repower I could speed up enough to turn the ride into a good one. NO it would not outrun a front, however it made the rough seas do-able (to me) and prevented the silverware from ending up in the salon.
My boat was always very heavily loaded and it could cruise at 15.5 knots at 2400 rpm which is the max Cummins recommended for continuous duty.
It would top out at 18+ at 2630 rpm.
You probably know all this, but I wanted to give you an other data point on the old Mainship models.
Regarding fuel consumption, the original power would yield about 2.3 nautical miles per gallon at about 7.5 knots according to my calculations.
With the repower I would get that mileage at 11.5 knots and 3.2 nmpg at 7.5 knots.
I have no idea about the consumption at 15 knots because I never ran there for more than about an hour.
I did run one time at 2250 rpm for 13 hours straight getting from Pt Pleasant NJ, to Mystic, Ct. but didn't calculate or care about economy. It was time to beat feet home from vacation and the new power let me do it.:thumb:
Happy boat hunting

Thanks for all that interesting information.
The MS 34 mk1 wasn't just a pretty face then.:)

Unfortunately I can't find a single MS34 Mk 1 for sale on this side of the pond.

Rustybarge - with regard to the Nordic Tug 32 (now called the 34) keep in mind that they have come with different engines over the years. Ours has the single Cummins at 220 HP. With this combination, we hit 15.5 at WOT on the sea trial (1/4 tanks and five adults on board). Fully loaded, I don't think we quite hit 15. That said, we generally run around 8. Just pointing this out, as the older models you linked to likely have the smaller engine like ours. It is the same block as the newer, higher HP versions, but no aftercooler.

Rustybarge - with regard to the Nordic Tug 32 (now called the 34) keep in mind that they have come with different engines over the years. Ours has the single Cummins at 220 HP. With this combination, we hit 15.5 at WOT on the sea trial (1/4 tanks and five adults on board). Fully loaded, I don't think we quite hit 15. That said, we generally run around 8. Just pointing this out, as the older models you linked to likely have the smaller engine like ours. It is the same block as the newer, higher HP versions, but no aftercooler.

Thanks.
That's very good on 220hp, looks like the NT 32 has an efficient hull.

So with 220hp the Nt 32 and the MS 34 mk1-3 will reach 15 kts.
Looks like the later MS 34t from 2005 onwards needs 370hp to equal that speed or slightly better.

No MS 34 1980's boats for sale in Europe.
No NT for sale except one 2009 NT37 at £220k.

Several MS 34t for sale: cheapest 2005 at £90k.

Oh dear, my budget's £60k.:blush:
Need to save up more money .:D

The 34 ft American Tug with standard 370 hp Cummins will top out at 17-18 kts, and is equally comfortable cruising at 14 kts or 7 kts.

The 34 ft American Tug with standard 370 hp Cummins will top out at 17-18 kts, and is equally comfortable cruising at 14 kts or 7 kts.

I just looked on yachtworld, those are gorgeous boats.

Seem to be slightly more expensive than the Nordic tug, not by much. I don't see many in my price bracket, but I'll keep a look out for earlier models.

Early 2000's seem to be about £125k, double my budget, but maybe 80's version would be in the £60k range?

I just looked on yachtworld, those are gorgeous boats.

Seem to be slightly more expensive than the Nordic tug, not by much. I don't see many in my price bracket, but I'll keep a look out for earlier models.

Early 2000's seem to be about £125k, double my budget, but maybe 80's version would be in the £60k range?

YEs, but there was no American Tug in the 80's :(

Now that I know my boat will go 18 knots safely, I'll probably run it at higher speeds occasionally.. Fuel consumption be damned.

Swift trawler?? :eek::blush::lol:

YEs, but there was no American Tug in the 80's :(

Now that I know my boat will go 18 knots safely, I'll probably run it at higher speeds occasionally.. Fuel consumption be damned.

I'm only a good weather boater, don't buy into the offshore rough sea 'storm breakers' go anywhere boats........:rolleyes:

Just wondering how your Nt handles a bit of choppy water...?
Following sea?

Swift trawler?? :eek::blush::lol:

Actually you're not that far off the mark, the euro has done a nose dive in value against the uk pound.

There are two Swift trawlers 34' 2010 advertised at £115k in Europe, one the same age in the uk is at £137k and that's the cheapest on the market.

Have you noticed the budget keeps on going up and up and up......:rofl:

Ps: there's only about 10% between the US$ and the €, there seems to be some very cheap boats over the pond in Europe.

Might be worth importing to the states?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom