Torn between N40 or N47

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks BruceK and healhustler. We did get on some Kadey Krogens. We were very impressed except for the access and getting around the engine room. But the KKs are really nice!
Yes, with our limited budget, we must come up with a limited list:)

Thanks BruceK and healhustler. We did get on some Kadey Krogens. We were very impressed except for the access and getting around the engine room. But the KKs are really nice!
Yes, with our limited budget, we must come up with a limited list:)

About that engine room thing, again...

I know we beat it to death :) in the other thread, but if you define your requirement as something like "good access to all systems in the engine room" -- instead of a "stand-up engine room" -- you'd likely find that opens up the playing field a lot.

Then there's still room for your analysis of trade offs between engine room and living space, but I'm guessing you'd have more boats on your list to analyze that way...

-Chris

Last edited:
You are right. There is no way we are going to get everything on the list.
I keep seeing a lot of price reductions in used trawlers so at least the prices are heading in our direction :)

we have lived aboard two N40's and a N35 (part time for many years). Feel free to contact me off line and I will provide you my phone number if you would like to discuss.

John

Rarely do I suggest people are making a mistake on this forum. However unless your height eliminates the Krogen 44/48 or the Defever 49 you should look at these boats again.

All boats are a compromise and the builder makes decisions based on the use expected of his target market. Many of the compromises on the Nordhavn are aimed at ocean crossing. Your plans are not ocean crossing but coastal cruising. You would be paying for and living with compromises which don't apply to your intended use. For what you describe you might love living on one of the larger Great Harbors.

Good luck and may you enjoy whatever you buy.

Very interesting thread and you certainly can't go wrong with a Nordy, just for me looking at the N47 it's just not a 47' boat, but a mini ship, which for long passages, say Bermuda I would love, come to coastal stuff I wonder if operating it would feel difficult, certainly not a vessel you are going to throw the lines off of to go for an evening cruise...

come to coastal stuff I wonder if operating it would feel difficult, certainly not a vessel you are going to throw the lines off of to go for an evening cruise...

Thats what you'd think, but not so. We've taken our's on "Sunset cruises" multiple times.

I really appreciate all the thoughtful comments. We have expanded our search and look forward to those "sunset cruises". Sick to death of Maine winters!

I agree with N4712 on that point...

Taking a Nordhavn out on an evening cruise is probably the same as any other boat that size.

As far as what boat to buy for what use, the only operational disadvantages I see with having a passagemaker for coastal cruising are speed and possibly draft.

Speed is a big one that people tend to underestimate. While the speed advantage is somewhat mitigated for retirees, for working age people speed means allot.

If you have only a three day weekend to play, your circle of available areas is much smaller with a slower boat.

Even if you have all the time in the world, you only have so much daylight. Having the ability if you want to get after it and make a certain destination by dusk can and will save you from for example entering a new harbor or anchorage after dark. Thats a big deal, something anybody that's pulled into a strange harbor after dark can attest to.

As far as the argument to buy a cheaper boat, well, that speaks for itself. If a more expensive boat will mean you have to work longer prior to retiring thats something to think about.

You only get one life. How many years are you willing to trade? If a more expensive boat will force you to sell your home to buy that's also a serious consideration with huge ramifications.

Then again if there are other life events that you are waiting to happen, like kids moving out or vesting in a pension plan for example, and a more expensive boat won't affect your plans then why not spend it on a great boat.

For me its simple. I'm watching large purchases and judging each one carefully. If it will delay retirement past my 58th birthday then I'm opting not to do it. I'd rather have those all important early retirement years to play than the money I'd make. If you think about it making the choice between 58 and say 65 is a huge financial decision. That is your peak income earning time. Y annual salary times 7 years is a big number. But then again 7 years playing with good health is a huge life thing all by itself.

Last edited:
From the ad:

OWNERS HAVE MOVED OUT OF COUNTRY AND WILL CONSIDER ANY REASONABLE OFFER!

Wish I had some reasonable money to offer...

That is one nice boat!
We are eager for our house to sell; spring real estate market should start now that the snow is melting. I am busy studying for my basic boating course, test is later this month :)

From the ad:

OWNERS HAVE MOVED OUT OF COUNTRY AND WILL CONSIDER ANY REASONABLE OFFER!

Wish I had some reasonable money to offer...

Bill: That boat would be too much of a compromise for you. Think of all those bridges you'd have to wait for on the ICW, and all the shallow gunk holes you'd be missing out on in the Bahamas. The angle on the helm chair didn't look right, and I think I saw a blemish on one of the heads. Then there's the confusion of which stateroom to take. Your physical fitness would decline rapidly for not having to bend down in the engine room.

All the stuff wrong with it you will likely not be able to see form a simple inspection. A 47 N (Or any for that matter) will retain its value much better then that no-name hunk of steel.

Last edited:
Bill: That boat would be too much of a compromise for you.

.....Your physical fitness would decline rapidly for not having to bend down in the engine room.

Now that's just mean right there. Lmao.

Compromises: In thinking of the differences in design between an ocean crosser and a serious coastal cruiser a couple of design choices stand out as important to me in the quality of life aboard on a day to day basis.

Window size: An ocean crosser should have smaller windows to take the eventual heavy weather. The size difference will be noticeable at anchor as one of the virtues of a trawler vs sailboat is the view from inside the boat.

Size of rooms: If you are crossing oceans smaller rooms are beneficial. Less likelihood of being thrown around underway. However in calmer waters the large open spaces give a more open larger feeling.

Master berth: I am considering an ocean crosser as a boat expected to make multiple passages of more than 48 hours. With such a boat the master stateroom should be placed amidship for the benefit of sleeping underway. A coastal cruiser can put the master stateroom either fore or aft providing a better use of space and better ventilation at anchor.

Either boat can be used for either purpose it is a matter of which design features will be important to the owners in the long run.

If someone is going to make repeated passages in excess of 48 hours, the above compromises for the ocean crosser are well worth it if not necessary. If all one is going to do is island hop to the Caribbean then the decision is a personal one.

OK, this is totally just my opinion/thoughts.

Last edited:
Thats what you'd think, but not so. We've taken our's on "Sunset cruises" multiple times.

Yeah, Oliver because your parents have you to do all the work:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom