Proposed trip to the Keys-- trying to get ready

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You should be fine with just an engine high temp alarm. I'm pretty surprised your engine doesn't already have one. Are you 100% you don't have one?

As to EPIRBS, just rent one from Boat US.

You should be fine with just an engine high temp alarm. I'm pretty surprised your engine doesn't already have one. Are you 100% you don't have one?

As to EPIRBS, just rent one from Boat US.

He's talking about a raw water alarm not a coolant alarm.
Last summer I had one of my borel alarms go off - scared the **** out of me. We were at and had been cruising at 1400 rpm for an hour or so. I shut the engine down immediately and noticed the coolant temp was normal. Checked the exhaust elbow where the alarm sensor is located with a temp gun and it confirmed the overheat. Checked the strainer it was clear. Jumped in the water and checked flow from the engine, it was fine.
Fired it up again and got the alarm again but coolant temp was normal. Increased rpm to planing speed - 2300 rpm and the alarm went away.
Later determined that the sensor just happened to be located at a hot spot on the elbow where water did not flow at low rpm. Moved the sensor 1/2 inch and the alarm hasn't gone off since.

Good point about renting an EPIRB.

Yeah I know which alarm he was talking about. But in post #12 he mentioned he didn't have an engine over temp alarm either.

Yes I have a temperature gauge but no buzzer.

Take a look at what's involved in deploying and using/maintaining a PLB while you are in the water. I think installed on your person, they are a great back up to an EPIRB, but no substitute for one. I keep my EPIRB at hand, easy to turn on manually (or throw in the water and auto-on) and in the water self-maintains itself and has longer battery life.

Its one of those things, when you're there in the water in a bad situation, you won't be consoling yourself with "gee, at least i saved all that money!"

Make sure your VHF DSC function is working properly as well.

I think you'll be fine, you have a first class boat, quite new. Maybe do a filter change just to see what is involved and to have a fresh one have some spares a vacuum gauge is an easy add on you can do before leaving. Make sure your radio and nave gear is working well, it is a well traveled route and not that far off shore probably in VHF reach of the Coast Guard or other boats along that route. Just watch the weather, you don't want your wife or kids first big trip to be scary! If the weather is iffy stay up in protected water.
Good luck !

Folks have been doing this for years with a lot less, don't over think this.

Prepare and allow for safe passage sure but many do this with an outboard and a cuddy cabin and peanut butter and a loaf of bread.

It's the Keys, with proper weather watch, and good charts traveling in daylight this is a fun and safe trip.

I did it the 80's in a 20' Wellcraft with only a VHF a depth finder (flasher) and a Loran. I had a cooler, bucket with a toilet seat and a 5 gal. solar shower. From Miami to KW and back taking 2 weeks.

Last edited:
I know I know. If it was just me and some buds I wouldn't care. But with the wife and kids I'm trying to be safe and prepare.

Are you sure that you don't have an alarm on the Yanmar panel? Mine does and I think we have almost the same engines. If it is a factory Yanmar panel, there should be a switch labeled "Buzzer Stop". That will silence the oil pressure & water temp alarm.

Hope this helps.

Rafe

Every Yanmar that I have seen has one. I had a little one on a sailboat that buzzed very loudly for an hour in the gulf in heavy seas because she overheated and when I went to shut her down I broke the key off. I pulled the engine shutoff and killed the engine but since the key was still on she just kept screaming. Wish I had the silence switch.

Your prep and planning ultimately should be the the same regardless of who is onboard I think. Don't make yourself crazy.
If you have the skills for the trip, then relax. Plan your weather window well and all should be fine. If you're stressed, your passengers will pick up on it also.

If having an EPIRB and a second raycor will make you more at ease, get them. They're not bad to have.

I know I know. If it was just me and some buds I wouldn't care. But with the wife and kids I'm trying to be safe and prepare.

Have two VHF's (mounted) and a handheld, cell phone with the ability to charge it by a small battery pack (rechargeable battery for phone charging, you can get them anywhere phone stuff is sold).

Signal mirror
Flares
Day use smoke signals
Check the condition of your class 1 PFD's (class 1 are not expensive and best if you are in the water for any length of time)
Reliable anchor system.
Dinghy
Sunscreen

You will always be able to call for help in the keys so the EPIRB is a bit of overkill imo.

Lots of shallow water, many boats and aircraft around. Low life risk.

Cardude, in post #1 you mention you could install the seconf Racor when you get back to Texas. Are you bringing the boat back to Texas after your Keys trip? If so are you going around or straight across? Big difference in preparation.

Cardude, in post #1 you mention you could install the seconf Racor when you get back to Texas. Are you bringing the boat back to Texas after your Keys trip? If so are you going around or straight across? Big difference in preparation.

I planned to take the ICW back to Texas, but I'm open to suggestions.

Taking the ICW back to Texas still involves a long cross-Gulf trip from central west Florida to the Panhandle.

Just because some people make a trip all the time unsafely, doesn't mean you should compromise your and your family's safety. In thousands of miles of cruising, we've never used our EPIRB, or emergency DSC, never deployed our life raft, never had a real man overboard situation (as opposed to practice) or used a PFD in duress. And, never for one moment were not grateful we had that equipment on board and knew how to use it.

BTW, between Marco and KW cell phone service is virtually non-existant.

Confused.
Is this an ICW Keys cruise or a long distance trip with 12-18 hours off shore to Texas?

Big difference, KW to Marco and Tarpon to panhandle is not the ICW. You have more homework to do.

Last edited:
Confused.
Is this an ICW Keys cruise or a long distance trip with 12-18 hours off shore to Texas?

Big difference, KW to Marko and Tarpon to panhandle is not the ICW. You have more homework to do.

Sorry, this started as a discussion on a trip from Sneed Island to the Keys. I will bring the boat back to Texas later after this Keys trip (although that will be during July so not sure about that).

I realize there is an open water jump from Tarpon to the panhandle, and an open water jump from Marco to the Keys. That's what I'm trying to get prepared for-- those open water jumps.

I thought I could go from Marco Shark river and anchor for the night, then the next day to Key West (or Marathon first). Does that route make sense?

Last edited:
Oh, with all this focus on safety equipment, I forgot to mention beer.

I'd take a couple or three days to get from Snead Is. to Sanibel there are lots of great spots, marinas or anchorages in protected waters between them and it will give time to see how the crew and boat are doing. If the weather is good to leave Sanibel go in back of Marco Is for the first night, the next to Little Shark River, then on to Marathon or K.W.
If the long term weather forecast for the Gulf is not good to leave Sanibel, stay up that way, there is lots to see, Ft Myers, Cabbage Key, Pelican Bay, Venice, Sarasota etc.
Good Luck!

I'd take a couple or three days to get from Snead Is. to Sanibel there are lots of great spots, marinas or anchorages in protected waters between them and it will give time to see how the crew and boat are doing. If the weather is good to leave Sanibel go in back of Marco Is for the first night, the next to Little Shark River, then on to Marathon or K.W.
If the long term weather forecast for the Gulf is not good to leave Sanibel, stay up that way, there is lots to see, Ft Myers, Cabbage Key, Pelican Bay, Venice, Sarasota etc.
Good Luck!

So true, :thumb:

The Southwest coast of Fl has some of the best cruising areas in the state.

If the crossover to the Keys looks iffy then you can spend weeks enjoying the area, even take the crossing through the big O to the East coast.

The hours out of the sight of land may cause some trepidation for your new cruisers getting to know a new boat and feeling confident in it.

A week or so on an extended shakedown may be time well spent in preserving good times and fun in boating.

Good Luck!

Excellent. Sounds like a good plan. Thanks.

So true, :thumb:

The Southwest coast of Fl has some of the best cruising areas in the state.

If the crossover to the Keys looks iffy then you can spend weeks enjoying the area, even take the crossing through the big O to the East coast.

The hours out of the sight of land may cause some trepidation for your new cruisers getting to know a new boat and feeling confident in it.

A week or so on an extended shakedown may be time well spent in preserving good times and fun in boating.

We are not in any rush and won't have a schedule, so that's sounds perfect. Thanks.

All this advice is getting you on the right track, and I think you're taking it all in.
Steve W mention a routing that is good and safe and one I've taken a couple of times. The few times I've done this route we saw several other boats and were never out of sight of land. Cell phone coverage does get iffy half way to Marathon. A good VHF will have the range to summon help wherever you are on this trip.

Crab pots are numerous on this route but a good watch will keep you clear.

If Key West is your real goal you could go direct from Marco and it will be a long day - 90 miles. On a weekend you will probably see a few other boats out there. You will be out of sight of land for almost the whole way. I don't recommend this if the boat is new to you or you lack confidence in it's or your ability.

But taking the Marathon route will give you a chance to see Boot Key Harbor and the route from Marathon to Key West has a couple of reef diving spots with mooring balls you should take advantage of.

This will be a good shake down cruise to prepare you and the boat for the longer open water routes you'll be taking to Texas. Just watch the weather and this will be a really fun trip. The wife and kids will want to come back - and that's your ultimate goal.

Just remember it is illegal to anchor in sea grass areas or on top of coral. Use active captain to find the legal and good spots.

Thanks for all the info. This forum is invaluable.

Every time I go on a long trip, there is a list of things I worry about. Or things I wish I fixed/modified/bought, etc, whatever.

Never had any of those items acually caused me any issues. It was the unknown unknowns that bite!!!

I learned to use modest due diligence, have contingencies available, some room on the credit card, a sea tow card, watch the weather.. And enjoy the ride.

It's not like we are planning a trip to Mars!!!

First fairly big trip for us as a family in our own boat, so I'm trying to be as prepared as possible.

We have chartered two times in the Abacos (a Great Harbour N37 and a Fountain Pajot 40' power cat), but it's different when it's your own personal boat. Nobody to call/blame but me if things go wrong.

We might feel a little cramped with all 4 of us on our boat for two weeks compared to those two charter boats, but when we get to the keys we can spread out and walk around.

We have one going off to college this year and one sophomore in HS, so this might be our last full family trip. Hope not though.

Just make sure all the essentials you dont think about are workign and sound.

The first trip we made in our Camano to the Abacos our head broke down 5 days in, life sucked when nature called.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom