32'/34' trawlers that do 15kts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rustybarge

Guru
Vessel Make
Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Hi All,

I know the old Mainship 34' can max out at 15 kts with 200/250hp and there are quite a few advertised with this amount of power or more.

The modern IG Gourmet cruiser with 370hp manages about 14kts max, but the older Island gypsy 32' which shares the same hull seems to be only available with the ford leman 120hp.

I also like the Grand Banks 32' which is listed as semi-displ. But have never seen one with a bigger engine that would reach the magic 15 kts.

So....
Is there a GB32 available with a big single engine?
Did the older 1990's IG 32 ever have a larger single engine?
Is the mainship 34' the only lightweight trawler that can reach 15kts?

I would like to keep around 34' or less if possible.

Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:
I have a friend who owns a GB 32 with the Cummins 210 engine. He says that when you open it up the hull just pushes a wall of water. I think he can get her to about 12 kts.

If all you want to do is top out at 15+ kts the newer 34T will top out at 17+ with the single 370 hp engine or 19 with twin Yanmar 240s.

My Pilot 34 tops out at 18-19 kts with the single Yanmar 370.

So it can be done but it takes 370 hp or so to do it.

David

If all you want to do is top out at 15+ kts the newer 34T will top out at 17+ with the single 370 hp engine or 19 with twin Yanmar 240s.
David

Agree... David is dead on re 34 Mainship

I have a friend who owns a GB 32 with the Cummins 210 engine. He says that when you open it up the hull just pushes a wall of water. I think he can get her to about 12 kts.

My Pilot 34 tops out at 18-19 kts with the single Yanmar 370.

So it can be done but it takes 370 hp or so to do it.

David

Is the pilot 34 a different hull to the old Ms34'?
My problem is that there are absolutely no Ms 34's available in Europe. My budget is £50-£60k ($90k), so it's probably going to be a 1990's boat.
GB's yes.
IG's yes
Chb's yes

Are there any other makes available with 370hp, like a Marine trader or a chb clipper etc etc..?

Here's the search result for Europe: Mainship 34 Boats For Sale

Only one in my budget at £68k and that's the big 240hp twin engined version that I don't want.

What other makes should I be looking at?

The Californian 34LRC isn't exactly a trawler but it will do 15knots with the 3208 NA engines.

The Californian 34LRC isn't exactly a trawler but it will do 15knots with the 3208 NA engines.

Thanks, Those are really lovely boats. Absolutely perfect layout, but I was looking for a single 34'...... :)

Last edited:
Hi All,

Did the older 1990's IG 32 ever have a larger single engine?

Dunno about the older ones but our 2001 has a Cummins 330 6BTA. When we first got the boat it would do almost 13+ kts. More than a few pounds of add ons later, including a prop cage, she won't do more than 10-11 kts and it ain't pretty and can't get rated rpm now. Would rather have the non turbo, non after cooled, lower hp engine but that's what the boat came with. But we're happy cruising at 8 kts at 1800 rpm at 3 gph and not worying about lobster traps.

Dunno about the older ones but our 2001 has a Cummins 330 6BTA. When we first got the boat it would do almost 13+ kts. More than a few pounds of add ons later, including a prop cage, she won't do more than 10-11 kts and it ain't pretty and can't get rated rpm now. Would rather have the non turbo, non after cooled, lower hp engine but that's what the boat came with. But we're happy cruising at 8 kts at 1800 rpm at 3 gph and not worying about lobster traps.

Thanks very much for those numbers; very interesting as the IG gourmet cruiser has 370hp to do 14-15kts which sounds about right.

I was looking for coastal cruiser, plodding along at 7kts 90% of the time with the option to do 15kts as a run for shelter option.

So now I know that a IG 32 needs at least 370hp to see 15kts.....:)

The MS 34' seems very efficient on 250hp for 15kts....

We had a 1999 32 Island Gypsy with a Cummins 450, on a great day you might see 12knts, best speed was 8knts with about 2.5 mpg. Great boat and it is now doing the loop with the new owners

Ray

Thanks very much for those numbers; very interesting as the IG gourmet cruiser has 370hp to do 14-15kts which sounds about right.

So now I know that a IG 32 needs at least 370hp to see 15kts.....:)

Get Codger2 to tell you his Gourmet Cruiser performance figures.

How about 15 kts. @ 6.5 gph? Tops out about 20 kts. and really stable.

PDQ MV34 ( yeah, I'm biased)

Rafe

I've dreamed of having a trawler that would do 15 knots. That's mainly why I was looking at Catamarans vs. mono-hulls, but here I am with a FD hull and the best I can get is about 9.3 WOT. Nevertheless, I dream.

Attachments

• Bucky Hydrofoil.jpg
    Bucky Hydrofoil.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 165

Rafe

You ought to be biased, Rafe. You've got the best of both worlds there. Those new 4 blade props didn't hurt matters either.

We had a 1999 32 Island Gypsy with a Cummins 450, on a great day you might see 12knts, best speed was 8knts with about 2.5 mpg. Great boat and it is now doing the loop with the new owners

Ray

Just for comparison here's the Beneteau Swift trawler 34' which was designed in 2010.
Swift Trawler 34 / Swift Trawler / Motorboats - BENETEAU

8.5tons/36' inc swim plat/ 425hp.....
MBM test results:
22kts at 3100rev.....88ltr/hr
6.8kts at 1200rev.....8ltr/hr
8.2kts at 1500rev.....12ltr/hr

Why can't older designs do these numbers....?

Last edited:
I've dreamed of having a trawler that would do 15 knots. That's mainly why I was looking at Catamarans vs. mono-hulls, but here I am with a FD hull and the best I can get is about 9.3 WOT. Nevertheless, I dream.

I didn't realise I had requested the holy grail of trawlers.:lol:

Rafe

I love cats, I've already got a tiddly little 25' one.:)

But in Europe there's a 50% surcharge in the marinas, and in the Med the end of pontoons which have enough width to take a cat up get taken very early on in the day: most marinas will refuse you a place if you have a beamy Cat, and there's nowhere to anchor out in the western Med.

Sorta limits ones options.

Our 1988 35' Riviera FlyBridge (twin Volvo TAMD41A's 200hp) cruses at 15knts and we bought ours 18mnths ago for the same money you're looking at.

Last edited:
Sorry - forgot you specifically wanted one engine.

A little under 4g/hr at 7knts from memory. Considerably less if you cruise on one engine but havent done enough figures to work that out exactly.

Bloody nice boat with great layout though. Very good sea handling.

Sorry - forgot you specifically wanted one engine.

A little under 4g/hr at 7knts from memory. Considerably less if you cruise on one engine but havent done enough figures to work that out exactly.

Bloody nice boat with great layout though. Very good sea handling.

I've actually seen one of these in Spain, and stopped to admire it. (Didn't know what it was). I love the sports fish look.

bearing in mind that everything here in Europe is 50% more expensive to do than the states, I could really only afford to run a single.:blush:
Diesel
Maintenance
Mooring
Etc etc......

We think she looks pretty sharp too - thanks for the compliment.

winedown.jpg

Yeah I hear you about the $'s RB. But we needed a boat that could get up and go because our weather here is a very short sharp wind driven slop and our regular destinations are around the 50m mark. When the bad weather happens we just wanted to be able to get up on top of it and go. She is much nicer at 15knts than 7 on those days.

We think she looks pretty sharp too - thanks for the compliment.

winedown.jpg

Yeah I hear you about the $'s RB. But we needed a boat that could get up and go because our weather here is a very short sharp wind driven slop and our regular destinations are around the 50m mark. When the bad weather happens we just wanted to be able to get up on top of it and go. She is much nicer at 15knts than 7 on those days.

Totally agree with your boat usage: keep the 15kts In reserve for when it gets choppy and the wind picks up and all the family starts turning green!

"Why can't older designs do these numbers....?"

Probably as older boats are far heavier , double the weight almost double the power required for the same speed.

Weather the light weight construction will be strong enough to be a 30- or 40 year old life span , remains to be seen.

"Why can't older designs do these numbers....?"

Probably as older boats are far heavier , double the weight almost double the power required for the same speed.

Weather the light weight construction will be strong enough to be a 30- or 40 year old life span , remains to be seen.

Beneteau who make the swift trawler had a law suit concerning this.
A boat went aground on a sandy beach and the hull crumpled and the boat sank on the high tide.

The owner sued for negligence, stating the hull was too thin.
The manufacturer blamed a rock for putting a hole the hull.

Not sure who won.....

Back
Top Bottom