A train photo for Mark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
Mark-- Thought you might like this photo of a steam locomotive and train going across the Firth of Forth rail bridge in Scotland. What's cool is the scale of the thing. The train, ordinarily a pretty good size piece of machinery, is totally dwarfed by the bridge, which was opened for service in 1890. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1425101995.793359.jpg

Mark-- Thought you might like this photo of a steam locomotive and train going across the Firth of Forth rail bridge in Scotland. What's cool is the scale of the thing. The train, ordinarily a pretty good size piece of machinery, is totally dwarfed by the bridge, which was opened for service in 1890.View attachment 37788

I think the first one fell down, so when the built the second one they built it strong......:lol:

If you guys like steam train photos, look up O. Winston Link. He may well be my favorite photographer. He photographed steam trains at night using huge banks of flash bulbs. This is probably his most famous.
OW_Link%2C_Hotshot_Eastbound.jpg

He used 42 #2 flash bulbs to take this picture. As I recall from my camera store days, a #2 flash bulb was about the size and shape of a 75 watt incandescent bulb. It even had a medium screw base just like a bulb you would use in your hose.

I think the first one fell down, so when the built the second one they built it strong......:lol:

You're thinking of the Tay Bridge farther north. There's a very good, long-out-of-print book about the Tay Bridge disaster called The High Girders.

This is the original bridge. The section that collapsed in a storm with a passenger train on it is the through-truss section in the middle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
You're thinking of the Tay Bridge farther north. There's a very good, long-out-of-print book about the Tay Bridge disaster called The High Girders.

This is the original bridge. The section that collapsed in a storm with a passenger train on it is the through-truss section in the middle.

Thanks, it's easy to get your bridges mixed up!

Back
Top Bottom