5.5 foot snowfall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carnage at MK Marina

Murray,
Glad to hear that Badger is in good shape - hope to see you on the water one of these days. I may not get north this summer - but next summer for sure.

Had a friend that was supposed to be in Kitimat this week but Chevron/Woodside have put the brakes on their LNG project. He is working on the water side of things, including some Clio Bay work.

Great to hear your boat survived the storm ok. We have had a large amount of snow last ten days also,however,all boats in our area are on the hard.

The total numbers are in. Including MK Bay and two smaller marinas the snow took down 10 boats and three boat houses with boats in them. This in a community of 9,000 people.

Thanks for all the good thoughts sent our way.

I feel for them. I almost lost mine in a similar snow caused shed collapse many years ago. A bunch of boat suffered much damage and several were sunk. Sick feeling. Nothing could be done here either untill the crane barges got in to lift the shed, free the boats and raise the sunken ones.

My sympathies to them.

Here's a photo of the bow now that all the snow, ice, and slush has melted away. You can tell how low in the water Badger got by where the diesel stain from sunken boats is. (Our fuel tanks are full...the PO put an extra tank in the lazarette, so it's sitting pretty stern heavy).

If we had Badger tied with its bow into the north wind, the snow drift would have been to the top of the pilothouse, completely covered the saloon roof, and filled in the aft deck. Our story may well of had a more disastrous ending!

Attachments

• Boot Stripe Feb 2015.jpg
    Boot Stripe Feb 2015.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Don't worry , with Global Warming 10 ft of snow will be gone very quickly.

When living aboard we would clean the dock, and a good foot pathway on board , but snow is an insulator , so was mostly left in place till the next big melt started.

One of the boats was raised a few days after the storm, put in the yard, and the engine is running again. Don't know his long term plans. The other boats stayed on the bottom waiting for the barge to arrive.

This 49' Meridian came up today. It was in a boathouse that turned over sideways when a couple feet of snow slid off one side of the roof, but the 6 to 8 feet of drifted and corniced snow stuck to the other. Apparently it was purchased brand new a couple years ago;

Attachments

• Sunk snow feb 2015.jpg
    Sunk snow feb 2015.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom