Best Boating-Related Movie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Red October......since you are throwing in sub movies.

That's a good story, but in the book there was a big problem with the ending. I am surprised that Tom Clancy, who was known for meticulous research, had a boomer going into Ocracoke Inlet. It was changed in the move to Maine.

Ocracoke Inlet most times is barely passable to even relatively small craft.

Our vote is Cap'n Ron, we keep a copy on the boat.

I took this pic last month in Kemah, word is it's the movie boat.

Attachments

• 20150130_174709.jpg
    20150130_174709.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 371
"you shouldn't take long showers, it eats up the fresh water" "get yur own beer" "I know we're almost there because we're almost out of fuel" I'm voting for Cap'n Ron !!!!!

Cap'n Ron is the one for us . Favorite line in the movie was " did you feel that ?"

For Sailors, "Wind" is fun.... Hard to find these days though..

Many great calls on the boat movies did not see any bad ones, but one of my favs is

Run Silent Run Deep! Great movie.

Happy cruising

H. Foster

If you can tolerate the stupid love story plot and irritating characters, TITANIC was a great movie in my opinion. I thought the special effects depicting the ship were outstanding -- and not just the sinking part at the end...

I would have to put in my fun vote for Cap'n Ron and Master and Commander for more serious. As a teenager I was fascinated by Mutiny on the Bounty novel and movies. and then all things pirates, ocean etc. Loved the old black and white Errol Flynn stuff. I have always liked REdford but the latest movie was a real disappointment and was a waste of time for me. Not as for everyone I'm sure. I am easily amused by many movies and the key is am I engulfed in the movie and entertained. I found myself just saying WTF way too often to get immersed in it. Bottom line for me is I love almost all boat movies or TV as long as there is a boat in it. I just pray to God that the Kardshians don't buy a boat and create a new show "Kim and Khloe go to Newport" ... Haha. That would be a new definition of a disaster show.

Kevin
Portland, OR

How about that 1200 pony Fairchild Marine engine?

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

All those movies are too "serious". I've got one that beats them all -

"I Sailed to Tahiti with an All Girl Crew"

1968, starring Gardener McKay (who? it doesn't matter...). It's a totally kitsch comedy/adventure, but also funny as hell (and was inspirational to at least one very impressionable 11 year old when it came out; I credit that movie with kindling my life-long love of boats). It's best watched while having a few beers.

I am late jumping in, spent the weekend in a restored 100 year-old farmhouse in Geeeneville, TN with no cell or internet. The Perfect Storm & Master and Commander are my equal overall number one. Cap'n Ron is number one for comedy. Caddyshack I loved it when he dropped anchor! I am with Bill sub movies Red October is my #1

Attachments

• 20150227_173241.jpg
    20150227_173241.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 71
I have to put in a vote for Perfect Storm since it's based out of my home town, but the book is much, much better than the movie. In fact, the movie is really pretty bad. Favorite bad quote, " Bobby, you're not going to like this but I'll say it anyway. You be careful." And the most true quote, "Gloucester. They're always from Gloucester."

As a little aside, a friend of mine took the filming crew out in his tug to film the bad weather scenes. It was an actual storm. He said the cameras were all bolted down and automated, and the whole crew was puking their guts out.

And speaking of my home town, I need to place a more serious vote for Captains Courageous. Now that's actually a really good movie.

Captain Ron!!!

as a teaching tool for mid-american diplomacy....

'no, boss... no gorillas on this island...'

'we're being held by armed guerillas...'

'oh, you meant... GER-illas... not GOR-illas...."

And speaking of my home town, I need to place a more serious vote for Captains Courageous. Now that's actually a really good movie.

Ditto. Great story. And even making allowances for how far movies have advanced technically since 1937, the scene with the schooners racing back to Gloucester and pounding through heavy seas is amazing.

Last edited:
1968, starring Gardener McKay (who? it doesn't matter...)

What? Doesn't everybody know who Gardner McKay is? Starred in "Adventures In Paradise" in the '60's.

Truthfully, that show got me dreaming about sailing the high seas.

Hunt for Red October
Crimson Tide
U-571
Perfect Storm
50 First Dates
Down Periscope

Two very good naval war flicks. Both British from the early 1950's. The Cruel Sea (also a great book) about convoy duty in the North Sea aboard a corvette. Filmed aboard real ships and very authentic. Also The Battle of The River Plate about the sinking of the German pocket battleship Graf Spee by 3 smaller British ships early in WW2. Again, filmed with real ships and part of the engagement is filmed in real time. Not sure how easy they might be to locate these days

A good sea movie needs a good sea horn to go with it.

Well from my avatar you swabbies may have already guessed my first..

Waterworld is a close second.
Costner was a slip neignbor of ours, he spent a lot of time on his modest boat "getting away from it all". I watched him hone his boating skills in the early 90's.. he worked at it and it was impressive to watch his determination.

The Admirals fave is .. Dead Calm...so many times she said " JUST KILL HIM ALREADY"
Thats my girl!
Hollywood

Well from my avatar you swabbies may have already guessed my first..

The Admirals fave is .. Dead Calm...so many times she said " JUST KILL HIM ALREADY"
Thats my girl!
Hollywood

That would have made it a very short movie

Knew there would be universal agreement on this thread. :D

Seriously, some great ideas for movies to rent until this @$?¥£#%+{-ing winter is over.

Ok, for those with a reasonable attention span, and like a good sea-farin' type yarn, and with a bit of a love story thrown in for good measure - better still, free on iBooks - I've been enjoying an old Jeffrey Farnol series on my iPad. He wrote quite a few books, mostly set in the early Victorian period...shades of Dickens in many ways, and several were series with sequels following the fortunes of the same character, and that was not common back then. I got into them because I was an avid reader, and my grandfather had most of his books, which were handed down to my mother - then they disappeared. But…they are all available again, thanks to the miracle of the iNet and iBooks.

This ripping pirates and sailing ship adventure is called 'Black Bartlemy's Treasure', and the sequel 'Martin Conisby's Vengeance.'

Well written, intriguing plots, but written in Ye Olde Englishe…worth persevering though, as it grows on you.
Great description of sailing ships in the days of the Spanish Main, pirates, the whole box and dice.

No votes for Striking Distance, Under Seige, or Wolf of Wall Street? :D
Perfect Storm
Master and Commander
Caine Mutiny

In Which We Serve

I'm surprised no one has mentioned In Which We Serve

by Noel Coward in which he produced, wrote the screenplay, composed the score, and starred as Captain Edward Kinross. Coward also officially co-directed, though he handed the reigns to David Lean (his directorial debut).

Made in 1942 and based on the true story of Lord Mountbatten's destroyer, the film unfolds in flashback as survivors cling to a dinghy, and interweaves the history of their ship with the onshore lives of her crew.​

Really there should be at least categories, as a movie like this, does not have the humor of a Capt. Ron, but is a must see movie.

And for those still wondering how I could do 10 days alone on the Atlantic. Movies like this help me try to keep a perspective. No matter how bad I think it is, it can always be worse.

I'm not clinging to a life boat, having just had my boat shot out from under me, feeling responsible for another 200 souls.

Captains Courageous gets it just for the actual schooner race scenes.

Many other films are mostly studio effect stuff , who cares?

Captain Ron for all out side splitting enjoyable comedy.
On the book side, "A Drift" was one of the few books that I could not set down and really made me think. Definitely not a comedy though.....

Back
Top Bottom