Film "all is lost"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I give the movie "one star." Sorry I paid for a theatre presentation; should have waited for it to be on television. Now would be a good time for Redford to retire as well as stop making silly, nonsensical political statements.

Well feel free to use Hollywood for survival techniques too then...let me know how it works out...:eek:....:D

Wo Horsy - WOOOO! Not for survival! :eek: :facepalm:

But, Goldberg/MacGuyver quick fix mechanical is OK... when needed! :thumb: :popcorn:

I give the movie "one star." Sorry I paid for a theatre presentation; should have waited for it to be on television. .

When the wife and I on rare occasion, have time to go to the movies, we watch the trailers and go....let's come see it or...wait for the DVD:D.
I'm seeing more wait for it to come out on DVD movies these days.

...as well as stop making silly, nonsensical political statements

But isn't that what they do???

Remember, there are essentially three (3) types of people:
1) Those who MAKE things happen.
2) Those who WATCH things happen.
3) Those who WONDER what happened!:lol:

OD

Nevertheless I have some considerations: 1.- What is doing a 78 old man at his own in a sailboat of 11 meters in the middle of the pacific at 1700 miles from Sumatra Straights? 2.- Why he was sleeping with no radar alarm? 3.- after looking to the situation, why he does not start the engine to save the batteries and switch the bilge pump on? 4.- Why he jumps on to the container risking himself to roll and fall into the water? 5.- Why he does not reinforce the hull repair by inside of the hull? 6.- Why he risks himself in crawling to the top of the mast (by the way totally oversized) to detect that the antenna connector is loose... apparently the damage was before the crash... 7.- Why he is not using the formal Mayday call? 8,- Why he was not using the sea anchor to stand the storm avoiding rolling? 9.- How he is able to know his position with the sextant without looking later in the tables? 10.- Why he does not take everything possible to the raft? 11.- Why he does not make sun signals with the mirror? 12.- What is he doing in the middle of the Pacific with no EPIRB? 13.- Only one radio, no BLU? 14.- no back up portable battery? 15.- all sweet water was coming from the sink tap? and some more that I avoid in order to not disclosure the end of the movie. I do not think that these mistakes were intentionally on the script, but a nautical advisor for the film is so noticeable. In real life I understand that the stress of the situation could force you to make mistakes, but, that size?

And when he discovered the hole...no effort was made to plug it with a mattress or cushion, drawer and cushion/mattress.....backing board, etc...etc...

I was disappointed in the movie. But on the other hand, Captain Phillips (watched the day before) was great!

Sent from my iPad with big clumsy fingers using Trawler

I didn't care for the movie. :hide:

Acting was stiff and the activities undertaken for rescue left me frustrated.

Spent the first twenty minutes talking out loud (which I rarely do for a movie) questioning this and that . . as it was a rental and I was watching it from home, the only one I was disturbing was my significant other . . .

The lay-up of the glass repair should have had a great deal more "backing" for strength (a couple of wood strips? - rip a wood door off a cabinet or a ply hatch cover under a cushion for pete's sake. . . where the safety gear was stored . . . no EPRIB . . . his flares seemed to be for coastal and not oceanic signaling. As well as how many were available . . . survivors that I've read about mention the difficulty being seen during daylight by passing ships and the ensuing debate as to when to sleep (sleep during day, awake at night for better possibility of flares being seen at night). His "SOS" hailing (seriously?).... About the only thing I thought ingenious by the time he was where he was emotionally was the ending. I won't comment on the specifics as as not to ruin the ending for anyone not having seen the picture (recomment saving your money however).

It was this movie or Captain Phillips Saturday night. I've since spoken to folks who have seen both movies and far and away they all say the hostage movie was much better. Coincidentially, Hanks did a better job with his role in Cast Away. You bought in to his character and the desperation, etc. of being in that situation (alone, marooned) IMO. :popcorn:

BTW, have never seen any containers floating by, but I've seen "lots" of "bales". . .

Totally agree. Even my wife couldn't understand his lethargic response to everything. Also, they patch job ridiculous.

Lethargic.....exactly. Lethargy led the whole film, half-heartedness prevalent. But again, I think this was what this guy was about (not much), and Redford played him well. Sure, it wasn't the way I wanted things to work out, it wasn't the way I wanted him to respond. How about some fricken passion! But......that wasn't the movie. If you want to inspired, don't go to this movie. If you want to be provoked, like some part in you to be disturbed into asking the kind of questions and making the kind of comments you're reading here, go.

One more thing, Reading the comments here tell me how much I missed that you didn't, but how much I got that there's been no comment about so far. All in all, I think RT has the most objective approach to it (don't go to sea with Robert Redford). If you don't sink on account of lethargic reaction, you'd probably jump off anyway.

If you want to inspired, don't go to this movie. If you want to be provoked, like some part in you to be disturbed into asking the kind of questions and making the kind of comments you're reading here, go.

Right. Definitely not an inspirational movie. Just a loner, doing the best he knows how, making mistakes (as others have been quick to point out), and slowly committing suicide, whether consciously or unconsciously. It would be nice to have known his background, but that would not be faithful to the theme of the movie. Definitely not a movie that everyone would enjoy. I enjoyed it, however. Personally, I think that Redford did an extraordinary acting job with it, but can well understand that not everyone will feel that way.

RR resides in and loves the Rockies. God bless him... beautiful region... but, way too far from either coast. I lived in and around Denver for a few years. Not much water to speak of in those parts... at least not ocean type waters! :nonono:

No wonder he looked/acted like a fish out of water - lol.

RR's accustomed to cow paddies and horse shoes! From comments in this thread it makes me wonder if anyone on the film-set truly had any ocean boating experience... especially when emergency arises such as RR encountered. I’m not seeking to see that flick, but, if I haphazardly run into it already playing then comments on this thread will “flood” into my mind – pun intended!! :facepalm:

Could be a good film to use as a training tool for "What Not To Do" in blue-water sailing. For most non boaters, it was as designed....entertainment.
Slowpoke

Could be a good film to use as a training tool for "What Not To Do" in blue-water sailing. For most non boaters, it was as designed....entertainment.
Slowpoke

Your post got me thinking....I too posted that it was just Hollywood...meaning entertainment...

But the bottom line usually is still dollars.

Most people really don't understand the call of the sea and therefore it is a mystery to them and a romantic fantasy,,,usually a good way to at least get people to buy tickets. Once in, whether they know what an EPIRB is or not...they are just stargazing at the characters and dreaming of sailing the seven seas...munching popcorn and thinking...man, when I get my boat and head out...I won't let that happen.

heck...most boaters, even experienced ones have NO IDEA what a multiple day, blue water passage is let alone from the deck of a small vessel. So they too are lured into watching movies like this. Once they do a multiple day passage staring at only waves, coastal cruising fills their bucket list just fine.

So we'll see how it does in 10 years...after the box office, DVDs, then television. Who knows, it may become the greatest money maker of all times...first filling the dreamers heads, then watched by old salts as a cult movie for what it lacks.....

Your post got me thinking....I too posted that it was just Hollywood...meaning entertainment...

But the bottom line usually is still dollars.

Most people really don't understand the call of the sea and therefore it is a mystery to them and a romantic fantasy,,,usually a good way to at least get people to buy tickets. Once in, whether they know what an EPIRB is or not...they are just stargazing at the characters and dreaming of sailing the seven seas...munching popcorn and thinking...man, when I get my boat and head out...I won't let that happen.

heck...most boaters, even experienced ones have NO IDEA what a multiple day, blue water passage is let alone from the deck of a small vessel. So they too are lured into watching movies like this. Once they do a multiple day passage staring at only waves, coastal cruising fills their bucket list just fine.

So we'll see how it does in 10 years...after the box office, DVDs, then television. Who knows, it may become the greatest money maker of all times...first filling the dreamers heads, then watched by old salts as a cult movie for what it lacks.....

psn - This quote from your post above is perfect! "Most people really don't understand the call of the sea..."

I just discussed the movie with the aged cashier at the local CVS. I think she hit the nail on the head. She says if it's Redford, it's a "Chick Flick". It may be an old Chick Flick, but a Chick Flick none the less. I can see a triple feature coming to the Sunny Pine Retirement Facility.....Whales of November, Cocoon, and All is Lost for the action finale. Perhaps by that time they'll rename the movie "Last In-Action Hero".:)

RR resides in and loves the Rockies. God bless him... beautiful region... but, way too far from either coast. I lived in and around Denver for a few years. Not much water to speak of in those parts... at least not ocean type waters! :nonono:

No wonder he looked/acted like a fish out of water - lol.

RR's accustomed to cow paddies and horse shoes! From comments in this thread it makes me wonder if anyone on the film-set truly had any ocean boating experience... especially when emergency arises such as RR encountered. I’m not seeking to see that flick, but, if I haphazardly run into it already playing then comments on this thread will “flood” into my mind – pun intended!! :facepalm:

I think Art hit the nail on the head. Without really knowing RR motivation to make this film, it'snot at all clear what the point was and therefore it fails as a movie.

I just discussed the movie with the aged cashier at the local CVS. I think she hit the nail on the head. She says if it's Redford, it's a "Chick Flick". It may be an old Chick Flick, but a Chick Flick none the less.

I thought it was a steaming pile of crap and so did my wife.
There's a few hours neither of us will get back and glad we didn't pay money to see it

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife rented this one from Redbox. I thought it had potential until after the first couple of minutes where I was yelling at the tv. As was previously posted, this movie was mostly a lesson on what not to do. The SOS was laughable. He might as well cut off the mike and McGyvered in a Morse key. Does the Technical Director go on vacation during filming?

I thought it was a steaming pile of crap and so did my wife.
There's a few hours neither of us will get back and glad we didn't pay money to see it

Agreed. I think this thread would be interesting on the CruisersForum where most participants are blue water sailors. It doesn't seem to have much impact for trawlers since it is the rare trawler that truly goes on blue water cruises. Not to say that it doesn't happen but it happens with sailors with greater frequency. Having owned a blue water sail boat and a small tug, I notice trawlers are treated more as floating RV's that see no blue water to speak of. It is the rare container that is left floating in Rosario Straits for example.

I didn't care for the movie. :hide:

Acting was stiff and the activities undertaken for rescue left me frustrated.

Spent the first twenty minutes talking out loud (which I rarely do for a movie) questioning this and that . . as it was a rental and I was watching it from home, the only one I was disturbing was my significant other . . .

The lay-up of the glass repair should have had a great deal more "backing" for strength (a couple of wood strips? - rip a wood door off a cabinet or a ply hatch cover under a cushion for pete's sake. . . where the safety gear was stored . . . no EPRIB . . . his flares seemed to be for coastal and not oceanic signaling. As well as how many were available . . . survivors that I've read about mention the difficulty being seen during daylight by passing ships and the ensuing debate as to when to sleep (sleep during day, awake at night for better possibility of flares being seen at night). His "SOS" hailing (seriously?).... About the only thing I thought ingenious by the time he was where he was emotionally was the ending. I won't comment on the specifics as as not to ruin the ending for anyone not having seen the picture (recomment saving your money however).

It was this movie or Captain Phillips Saturday night. I've since spoken to folks who have seen both movies and far and away they all say the hostage movie was much better. Coincidentally, Hanks did a better job with his role in Cast Away. You bought in to his character and the desperation, etc. of being in that situation (alone, marooned) IMO. :popcorn:

BTW, have never seen any containers floating by, but I've seen "lots" of "bales". . .

THe only difference is that Julie and I saw it in a movie theater and is was SO frustrating. By the end, I was happy he died. He should also not make another film, as it was unclear what point he was trying to make:

Can he not act anymore?
Or was he trying to depict an incompetent sailor?

Hitting or getting hit by a whale is far more likely, at least from the empirical evidence.

At best, the movie was very boring and at worst, it was highly inaccurate. Other than the boredom, not a lot different from Jesus and old gladiator movies when it comes to accuracy.
I like action and adventure movies and I don't expect historical accuracy. Just fantasy and adventure. "Raiders of the Lost Arc" is a good example.
Hollywood makes movies. That's what it does.

Never saw a technically worse and inaccurate movie in my life. Wrote a damming review for IMDB.com. This reminds me to look up the receipts for the movie, it must have been the biggest flop that year.

UPDATE:

Production $9 Mill

Total Lifetime Grosses

Domestic: $6,263,670 46.0% + Foreign: $7,363,849 54.0% = Worldwide: $13,627,519
Cannot beleive it made money

Last edited:
Look at the average movie goer....then how many of them know it is inaccurate?

Not too many news reports I ever see are accurate....and that was only a movie.

THe only difference is that Julie and I saw it in a movie theater and is was SO frustrating. By the end, I was happy he died. He should also not make another film, as it was unclear what point he was trying to make:

Can he not act anymore?
Or was he trying to depict an incompetent sailor?

Hitting or getting hit by a whale is far more likely, at least from the empirical evidence.

Just so you have been warned, he's staring in a movie called "Truth" this year. He plays Dan Rather during "Rathergate". Has to do with Rather trying to derail Bush in the presidential election with documents that turned out to be forgeries. Sure to be a liberal cult classic. :rofl:

Ted

Actually I didn't mind the movie. I'd heard all bad reports about it so my expectations were low. I tried (with difficulty) ignoring all the incorrect technical aspects, and just took it for what it was.
It passed the time nicely on a flight to Dubai.

Ted...I heard something different. I think he's working on the Island Packett story, reported here on another thread. Should make equally good material for the next flic.

It was an exercise in frustration, but probably no worse than most aviation movies I've watched. I have a hard time watching them...as do most people seated in the room with me.

:popcorn: :eek: :banghead: :hide:

How hard is it to hire a real captain to provide an honest, real world reasonableness test for these multi-million dollar productions.

I thought that he played his character very well.

In my mind the character was an old man who was doing many of the things that you expect people of that age to do: don't panic, think things through methodically, be slow and purposeful in your actions, and understand the limitations of your abilities.

Regardless of whether the story was technically accurate, I understood how the character acted: he made mistakes that people in hurried situations do (air cap on water jug was one example, where sea water contaminated his drinking supply); not doing this or doing that (again, an old man does everything slow, so steps would likely be omitted).

The character is rescued in the end.

In my mind the character was an old man who was doing many of the things that you expect people of that age to do: don't panic, think things through methodically, be slow and purposeful in your actions, and understand the limitations of your abilities.

Regardless of whether the story was technically accurate, I understood how the character acted: he made mistakes that people in hurried situations do (air cap on water jug was one example, where sea water contaminated his drinking supply); not doing this or doing that (again, an old man does everything slow, so steps would likely be omitted).

I am in agreement. Heck, very few movies are remotely technically accurate. We need to keep in mind it is entertainment and not a documentary. Most of the viewers probably had never been on a sailboat before much less sailed. Many might have dreamed of hopping on a boat and sailing off into the horizon. The movie did a good job of identifying risks and dangers of doing that specially single handedly. It also enlightens about survival skills. Throughout the movie, it elicits the viewer to think about what actions they would take if in a similar position. It isn't the greatest movie in the world but certainly a departure from what is normally found in theaters.

I agree with you that he played it well. It would have been nice if the movie was more technically accurate, but that's not the the point they were trying to make. (Anyone concerned about the technical accuracy in Star Trek or Non-Stop?) And RR certainly doesn't need to defend his acting chops to me. :)

SPOILER ALERT (beyond this point is info about the finale)

The ending is deliberately ambiguous. The director acknowledges this. People will interpret it differently. I see it as the inevitability and final acceptance of what's waiting for all of us. He's done all he can to survive--making mistakes as we all do. But survival can only last for so long.

Others see it as the hand of God reaching down to pull him to the afterlife--white light and all. Still others believe he is literally rescued.

Technical accuracy would be great, but sometimes a movie is just a movie. :D

You're right Angus. I can imagine what the NASA engineers had to say about the technical aspects of the Star Trek movie.

I don't care how old you are, when you put your feet in water where there should be none your heart rate is going to jump a little. He was like the emotionless walking dead from the gitgo.

Back
Top Bottom