View Single Post
Old 02-28-2015, 07:02 AM   #27
timjet
Guru

You mentioned you are such a "cheap ass" and my sense is that you are somewhat new to this activity. Both of these can get you in real trouble.

What you are attempting to do is relatively easy and safe but unless you are prepared to handle things yourself without immediate help you could be in for a real surprise. In the FL straights SEA TOW will take awhile to get to you -- if you can reach them.

The whether in June in south FL is usually great but just ask SKI and a few others what happened to them in late June last year. Personally we were holed up in Ft. Lauderdale for a week waiting for that early season hurricane to pass. Hurricane's are well predicted and predicted paths generally accurate, but just know that all the good hurricane holes and marina's will be taken by the locals. Watch the weather and don't allow yourself to be in a remote area if one is predicted. Thunderstorms generally occur over the coast and inland but can happen anywhere. They are usually not a problem, but expect lots of cold rain when it hits. If your anchored, disconnect your VHF and Plotter from the boats electrical system before it hits.

A second racor is your judgement. A dozen or so racor elements is a no-brainer. A vacuum gauge on the racor will tell you when you need to change it, and if it's in a location on the boat that's easy to do I would go that route and spend the saved money on a PLB. Hey dude what's your life worth, $250.

Right after I purchased my boat I installed a dual raw water alarm, +- $120 bucks perhaps $70 for a single engine. I personally wouldn't own a boat without one. I doubt you will hear the alarm at the helm if it's in the engine room, so wire it to the helm. Yes it's a pain but a little prep now will save you a lot of aggravation late. Ski mentioned the sea grass in the water around the Keys. I'll second that and another very good reason to install a raw water alarm on a single engine boat.

Your wife and kids are depending on you to keep them safe, so do the right thing. Boating's not cheap, as my wife reminds me constantly, but adrift in 3-4 ft swells waiting for Sea Tow will make those saved bucks seem worthless.

You are definitely on the right track by asking lots of questions, good luck and safe boating.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote