Boat Pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No pict to currently provide. Just want to be included in email to view picts provided. Very cool thread! Thanks!!

Our replica pirate ship in Tampa. Its never under sail. Its engines are its only propulsion.

mynootescapesphotography-net.jpg

It has engines?? When I was on it back in the late 80's (good times) it was pushed everywhere by the tug (behind it in pic).

Engines would have subjected it to many regulations and inspections the a barge doesn't have. Plus it's way to much fun to mess with having to
actually be responsible on board for anything. :socool:

pirate-Jose_Gaspar-ship.jpg

You've come along way since you began there!

Kevin
Portland, OR

Thanks Kevin. It has been a challenge at times, especially when working with the Washington State DNR.

Yep, they are at Shelter Cove Harbour which is Moonstruck's second home. The Holiday is a dolphin cruise boat that will charter for special events. Capt. Hook is a head boat for daily fishing trips. They have both been there for years.

I have often looked at Holiday with an eye for what it would take to make a yacht out of it. It would probably be better to start from scratch. Both boats are an asset to the harbor as they create a lot of activity.

Did you see the Crabbie II. I love that boat. It goes out with a load of kids that each have a line to catch blue crabs. The kids are so excited.

Shelter Cove is a wonderful place. We will probably be back in a few months.

Shelter Cove is a wonderful place. We will probably be back in a few months.

Indeed ... the warm weather and nice sunset helped to like it even more. Unfortunately I have not noticed Crabbie II other than in some marketing pictures. A nice place ... we'll be back.

Sport Crabbing! Lol.

That's a pretty good idea actually-- crabbing day trips.

We used to catch crabs off the boat dock when we were kids. We would spend hours doing that during the summer at my parents bay shack at Port Alto Tx. I'm sure my parents were thrilled to be able to give us some string and a package of chicken necks and not have to worry about us for the rest of the afternoon.

Sport Crabbing! Lol.

That's a pretty good idea actually-- crabbing day trips.

We used to catch crabs off the boat dock when we were kids. We would spend hours doing that during the summer at my parents bay shack at Port Alto Tx. I'm sure my parents were thrilled to be able to give us some string and a package of chicken necks and not have to worry about us for the rest of the afternoon.

CD, I love watching all the kids load up. They give each one a little stubby rod and reel with twine wound on it. They all sit facing out holding their rods, and they are very serious about it. It is really cute. I know that you looked at a boat at Shelter Cove. You probably saw all the stuff they have for kids there. Hilton Head is a family vacation spot.

I saw this very cute tug this weekend and just had to post the photo. After all, it's AWESOME! :D

Awesom861.jpg

I believe that is a Lord Nelson Victory Tug. It appears to be the larger model, the VT49. They also produced a VT37. The 37 was the boat that first got my wife and I to thinking about getting a cruising boat ourselves. We really like the Victory Tug and still do. We much prefer it to the other two production tug-style boats, the Nordic Tug and the American Tug.

When we decided to buy a cruising boat we considered the VT37 but they were all relatively newer back then and so were quite a bit more than we wanted to spend on a cruising boat at the time. Plus the older ones were powered with a BMW diesel which we didn't want any part of. Later ones tended to be powered with a Cummins diesel..

There was a VT37 on our dock for several years named Minot's Light. The owner had it back east and then decided to give it to his son. So it was trucked out here. Some years ago it was sold and we haven't seen it since. Beautiful boat, green hull, white house.

Thanks Marin,

I was wondering what kind of a boat that was. USCG documentation says it was made by Ocean Eagle Yacht Bldg, which does make it a Lord Nelson Victory Tug! It certainly is an attractive vessel and I did get a chuckle out of the name. :thumb:

IIRC the Lord Nelson series of boats, piwer and sail, were made in Taiwan. Unlike a lot of Taiwan-made cruisers, the Lord Nelson boats were all made to a very high standard. I'm making this judgement based solely on the few VT37s I've seen in detail.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1425410736.933448.jpg The SS Badger the last steam powered coal fired ferry on the Great Lakes. This was taken at Ludington, Mi. Last year.

The SS Badger the last steam powered coal fired ferry on the Great Lakes. This was taken at Ludington, Mi. Last year.

Did I read somewhere that she was taken out of service at the end of last season?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler

Is the video still the visitor center? My son and his wife both work for Boeing, we will be out there in the middle of May. If we have the time I would like to see it.

Did I read somewhere that she was taken out of service at the end of last season?

I read last year that the coal ash has always been disposed of in the lake and that is a problem they have to correct. But I've not read anything about her being removed from service, there is a sister ship in Ludington that was removed from service after a major failure, they are using it as a parts donor now.

You may have read this winter, they are completing the remainder of environmental enhancements that were negotiated with the EPA to continue operation of this coal burning boat. Legacy coal burning boats, trains, power plants and others have been under assault by the EPA for some time now. We crossed Lake Michigan on the SS Badger in 2013 on a return from California. The Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge train is another favorite target of the EPA.

Is the video still the visitor center? My son and his wife both work for Boeing, we will be out there in the middle of May. If we have the time I would like to see it.

If you're talking about the Everett Visitor Center movie I don't know if it's still being used or not. I updated it for them some years ago to substitute real air-to-air footage of the 787 for the CGI scenes we had to use when the video was made.

Since then the 747-8 has replaced the 747-400 and the 767 is made today only as a tanker although there may still be a few unfilled orders for freighters. The bulk of the video's content is still valid but I don't know if the changes in Everett since the video was made have caused it to be taken out of use and if so, what they are running in its place.

Wherever did " Boat Pics" come from?

Seems it's a dupe for "Interesting Boats" but not quite. Would a boat here need to be not interesting?

Boys ski re your nice pic in post # 43,
I like the like the Victory Tugs a lot but I think they over-did the tuggy and sweeps lines. One of the few truly full disp trawlers availible though and not priced high. Most don't have desirable power though. Some have the 4 cyl Cummins though but they are shakers I hear.

Last edited:
I read post #1 and still can't see the difference. Seems like duplication to me but I can't see any reason to criticize it. Boat pics is all good. I hope one or both threads last forever.
Cheers as you always say Marin.

I started Boat Pics as a place to put cool and unique-ish photos of boats, not to talk about them other than to caption the pictures. It was intended to be a photo thread, not a discussion thread about boats like "Interesting Boats."

The tall ship Elissa is a three-masted barque. She is moored in Galveston, Texas, and is supposed to be one of the oldest (1877) ships sailing today. Here she is underway in the Gulf of Mexico. I have always thought she was a graceful ship.

Attachments

• ELISSA_at_sea.jpg
    ELISSA_at_sea.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 102
The tall ship Elissa is a three-masted barque. She is moored in Galveston, Texas, and is supposed to be one of the oldest (1877) ships sailing today. Here she is underway in the Gulf of Mexico. I have always thought she was a graceful ship.

Beautiful sail boat!

I started Boat Pics as a place to put cool and unique-ish photos of boats, not to talk about them other than to caption the pictures. It was intended to be a photo thread, not a discussion thread about boats like "Interesting Boats."

Like children, once you give birth to a thread, you never know which direction it'll go.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom