Pure sine wave inverter upgrade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's how I handle the inverter/charger redundancy issue...

The output of the inverter feeds many of my boats AC loads. In order to protect against an inverter failure I installed a rotary shore power switch. This switch routes either the main AC buss to these loads or the inverter/charger.

That way all I have to do is run my generator or plug into shore power to bring these loads online if the inverter fails.

To protect against the charger part of the inverter/charger failing I have a very nice Charles Industry 40 amp charger installed. All I have to do is operate a breaker labled backup battery charger to bring it online.

This way no trip gets ruined by this critical piece of equipment failing.

Although I boat in Alaska we have great, abet expensive air service. I can get a new inverter/charger in no more than 2 business days. If I boated in an area where logistics was more difficult I would just carry a spare inverter/charger. They are not that expensive and it would be a PITA to be without one for an extended period of time.

"Wouldn't this be solved by plugging the charger into an onboard electric outlet? Or are you talking about the internal wiring in the charger?"

YES the grounding danger is IN the car grade charger .

Must be DeFever 48 owners have some common gene. Like Sunchaser I have two chargers. A Magnum 3100w 160amp inv/chrg for the house and a little Promariner for the genset and start batteries. That way I always have a back up. the genset has an alternator as do both engines so those batteries virtually never need charging anyway. The Magnum products are fantastic and their support is A+!

Back
Top Bottom