How many lobster or Downeasters are here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He told me, but it was some time ago. But I'm pretty sure it was not Blue Hills Marine. As I recall it was a yard named for a person and the name was somewhat familiar to me. I'll have to ask him again next time we see them.

PS--- Here is the builder info on my friend's boat. I remembered wrong-- the hull maker was not named for a person. I was probably thinking of the designer.

"My lobster boat was built by Flye Point Marine in Brooklin, Maine in 1990. She was layed up and roughed in at the yard in Maine and shipped to Washington State with engine and transmission installed. She is of a Spencer Lincoln design. She was then completed by a local cabinet maker/boat builder."
Flye point marine and BHM were one and the same model. The mold was used by Keith Otis for both companies. Very few of the 36's were built. They are a highly desirable model.

Duplicate post.

Last edited:
Well here's my work boat. It's not my trawler but I've probably overnighted on it 100 times in the last 15 years.

DSCN0919.jpg

Ted

This is a Bruno & Stillman hull one of the first DE fiberglass boats (built in 1975) designed by Royal Lowell. In 2004 the cabin which was glassed over plywood and built for shorter New Englanders, was replaced by Willings & Messick of Chance, MD. Down East meets Chesapeake Bay so to speak. She has a 300 C Cummins for power. Cruises effortlessly at 15 knots and WOT is 19 knots. This will be my 16th season running dive charters with her (O.C. Diver).

Ted

Attachments

• IMAG1219 - Version 2.jpg
    IMAG1219 - Version 2.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 139
Bruno-Stillman 35 Perkins

Attachments

• 653339916905.jpg
    653339916905.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 263
  • 782590929305.jpg
    782590929305.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
The Bruno & Stillmans Jarvis Newmans, abd BHM's were the downeast standards in the 70's and 80's. All of them are still sought after. The JM's were the higher priced boats that still command higher prices.
It was said by one Maine boatbuilder on another forum, " Brunos' have been everywhere and done everything". Bruno had a quality control issue that put them out of business in the early eighties. They only built a subpar boat in the last year or two of their existence. Any of the 70's- to 1980 were really well made. A lawsuit over construction took them out. Cape Dory later use the 42' mold and Five Islands built the 35's Like Brooksies' and OC divers boats.
The BHM's made by Flye Pt marine were workhorses as well. The 31' was huge for it OAL and was advertised as "The Biggest little boat in the bay" by flye Pt. They later came out with the 36' and the 39'.

Kinda Downeast like. Probably not welcome over at the downeast boats forum.

Attachments

• 021109btpf-1496.jpg
    021109btpf-1496.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 160

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom