View Single Post
Old 02-24-2015, 03:15 AM   #26
Bay Pelican
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Opinion: suggested arrangement. If the boat has a generator a combined inverter charger with a 100 amp charging capacity. As a backup charger a 30 amp charger such as the Promatics. Thus if the combined unit goes down you can get AC from the generator. The generators alternator and the 30 amp charger will give you approximately 60 plus amps of charging.

If you do not have a generator things are different, you can't use a charger away from the dock so a 20 or 30 amp charger will be sufficient. In that case a 1000 amp inverter would work.

Many cruising trawlers have two inverter/ charger units in case of breakdown. I bought my second unit when anchored (mooring ball) off New York City. My inverter charger broke and was going to take a week to have fixed. The cost of a marina in NYC for a week would have neared the cost of a second inverter charger. Now we are set up to run both chargers at the same time. Cuts generator run time almost in half. With the price of diesel here in the Caribbean the reduction in run time has paid for the second inverter/charger.