49 Pilot house Beam measurement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Restitution

Vessel Name
"Restitution"
Vessel Make
38' Californian
I presently own a 38 Marshal Californian tri-cabin. My wife and I would like to upgrade to a 49 Pilothouse. The rub is this. Our covered slip is 15'2" wide and 50' long. What is the beam on these boats at the water line? Also, what is beam at widest point.

Did Defever make a smaller pilothouse that would work for us? And lastly, if not a Defever, is there any other make that would make sense?

Thanks
Sam

Last edited:
49 Pilot house Beam measurment

My DeFever 46 Pilothouse has a 15'0" beam and LOA of 46'10". They made a 45 PH, but I think it evolved to the 46 with some minor floorplan changes and the addition of a flybridge. The hull dimensions are the same. Also, the 49 Pilothouse Euro version is the same boat as my 46, with the addition of a glassed-in swimstep, versus a bolted-on swimstep like mine. And the price of the 49 Euro is higher.

Last edited:
Thank you DBR. That is great food for thought. I may shoot for a 46 then. I wonder if the beam at the waterline is a few inches shorter than at the boats widest point? The story of my life. "If I only had a few more inches"

Thank you DBR. That is great food for thought. I may shoot for a 46 then. I wonder if the beam at the waterline is a few inches shorter than at the boats widest point? The story of my life. "If I only had a few more inches"

Yes, the beam at the waterline is narrower than the superstructure at its widest, maybe by as much as a foot, but that's just from looking at a picture, not from actually measuring.

I am a little naive on boathouses and have to ask if it is practical to put a boat with a 15' bean in a boathouse with a 15'2" slip?

I've done this and typically you have much more room than you would guess. You will have to do the measurements, but best guess is more chances in your favor than against.

Thanks to all of you.

sam

15'2 is pretty slim, I was in a 15'6" slip not long ago and it was a real pia. Now in a 16'8" and it allows a lot more room especially arriving and leaving in tricky weather and with fixed docks we arnt bouncing off each side.

I have a shelter that is over 16' wide at the waterline and 55' long, with the decking reducing the waterline length to about 50 ft. It just fits my 44' x 14'6" boat. anchor and bowsprit almost touch the front wall, Bimini almost touches the roof, dinghy on davits barely have cover.
I have built bolsters out from the sides, covered them with carpet, so when sliding in, the varnished rails will touch only carpet (I try to not touch anything, but with such tight clearances, that happens rarely). The bolsters hold the boat in position without the need for fenders.
If you can, you should measure the width at rail height and the overall length to the front wall. those are our ultimate restrictions.
Unless your new boat has no bowsprit, the Pulpit has no overhang, no swim step, you should look for something significantly smaller than a 49 PH.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom