New member in Maine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TDunn

Guru
Vessel Name
Tortuga
Vessel Make
Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Hi, I am Todd Dunn. I have owned a 1936 raised deck cruiser built by Nunes Brothers in Sausalito since 2007. My boat is named Tortuga. Tortuga is a pure displacement cruiser, originally built as a sport fisher. Tortuga has a top end of 9 knots, but I generally cruise around 6.5 knots. I am gradually getting the boat back into decent shape. Summers the boat is in Southwest Harbor, Maine and I cruise the area around Mount Desert Island. I am looking forward to reading some interesting trawler posts.

tortuga_summer_2014.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Todd,

Welcome to the forum! Beautiful boat!

Ted

Welcome , that's a sweet looking boat .

Very nice!

Welcome. We did the classic wood boat thing for 23 years in the same general area as you. Had many good times both using her and working on her. This is a good locale, as you probably know by now, to have a wood boat as there is an abundance of knowledgeable yards and skilled workers.

Have you brought her down to the WoodenBoat Eggemoggin Reach Regatta the first weekend in August?

Here's a pic of our former Smith & Gray 1939 "Gentleman's Sedan Cruiser" that has since been "Sold South". Miss her is some ways, not in others.

Attachments

• ResIpsa2.jpg
    ResIpsa2.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Thanks all for the kind words.

David, I was planning to go over to Wooden Boat last August, but weather defeated me. I hope to make it this year. I actually live in Bass harbor, so we are almost neighbors.

dwhatty , That is one sweet looking boat also . I' m a woodworker and love the classic wood boats . I probably would own one but the wife says no no no .

I' m a woodworker and love the classic wood boats . I probably would own one but the wife says no no no .

My wife said yes, yes, yes when we bought her. And when I told her I had run out of steam after 23 years for working on her and it was time to sell, she said no, no, no.

I like the way you hung the dinghy off the stern . Do you have any pics of that ? I'm having some davits made right now to hang my Trinka 10 off the stern . I hope they turn out . The wrong davits can really screw up the look .

They call it dog's country. Sorry a little dyslexic today.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1424740346.786624.jpg

Asolare previously Scheherazade, (Bruce King design cold molded and built by Hodgdon Brothers) and Walrus ( David Gerr design and built by St Augustine Marine). Great neighborhood, great food, scenery, weather and people.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1424740286.949754.jpg

Via iPad using Trawler Forum

TDunn Welcome, great boat!

Welcome aboard. My boat, Possum, was built in Southwest Harbor. In fact that was where I first saw snow.

Welcome, that's a great boat. I guess I have to add that Moonstruck was built in South Casco, Maine.

Welcome.

A beautiful boat and we loved cruising in Maine.

Asolare previously Scheherazade, (Bruce King design cold molded and built by Hodgdon Brothers) and Walrus ( David Gerr design and built by St Augustine Marine).

Scheherazade was built for and owned by a friend and investment advisor of my wife's family, and a former real estate client of mine. We went to her launching but never managed to wangle a sail on her.

Your picture looks like it may have been taken off the old Able Marine yard at the head of Somes Sound. When the town of Mt. Desert denied her owner a permit to extend his pier into water deep enough for her off his house(s), he bought the yard as a place to keep her.

Back
Top Bottom