Replacing the Holding Tank Starting Tomorrow-Wish Me luck!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pineapple Girl

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Make
Silverton 38c
After lots of thought and a phone call with the headmistress (thank you Peggy!) we are replacing our 9 gallon holding tank with a 30 gallon.* Since I am the only one who can fit where it is I will probably be*doing the bulk of the dirty work. Whoo hoo can't wait.* Ultimately I'd like a lectrasan or similar at least for the aft head but in the meantime it will be nice to have a little more time between pump outs AND get rid of the nasty oozing tank we have now!* I'll be sure and post pictures so you can share in the excitement of this fun project.*
biggrin.gif

Any tips and tricks greatly appreciated!

Well best of luck.
Depending on your next post .......would you do work on the east coast?
Really my thoughts are with you PG

I don't envy that filthy job.* Surprised the original holding tank was so tiny.* Replacing it with a larger tank is smart.*
clap.gif

Hopefully it's a plastic tank, not a metal one. But if you got your advice from Peggy I'm sure it's a plastic tank.

Pineapple Girl wrote:

...*we are replacing our 9 gallon holding tank with a 30 gallon.*...
Coincidentally, 30 gallons will be the size on my trawler.

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 19th of November 2010 08:38:37 PM

PG,
Wouldn't you prefer to practice on mine?

Mark,
I think it's time you show us some more pics of your boat build
biggrin.gif

Daddyo wrote:

Mark,
I think it's time you show us some more pics of your boat build
biggrin.gif
Haven't got any new (since September)*pictures yet.* Seahorse Marine is slow, taking about a year to build their boats.* Meanwhile, I'm saving up*money for taxes and shipping.

PG, holding tank work is the worst thing I have ever done, and I was putting a new one in where no man had gone before. Ie, I did not have to remove old one first. Of course, being a 1975 CHB, it was never fitted with one, and no such thing was ever envisaged, so no real space to put rigid plastic tank, so it had to be a Turtle Pack bladder type of 110 litre volume, = close to the 30 gal (US) you are doing. What I found the hardest was getting the tough white sanitary grade hose on far enough onto the various barbed connectors, etc. What did help was using a plumbers type silicone lubricant and heating the hose end to be put on with a hairdryer. Trying to heat it in hot water was hopeless, as it always cooled down too much messing about, and there was too much risk of spilling hot water on me, (in this case you), while working in a confined space. The hair-dryer saved the day. Best if like mine it was an old one superceded by the SO's newer one, as it will get pretty messed up with silicone and whatever. Removing the old will be fun, but at least you can just cut through the end attached to the old tank, bung it quick, and then deal with detail once removed. If you are re-using the runs from the toilet to the tank, just done cut any more off than you need to,and being new, and empty, you might be able to do the hose attaching in slightly less cramped quarters and then install it once done. Good if you can, but depends on the geomtry of the whole set-up. Best of luck with that anyway. I just pray every day that it will be ages before I have to again do anything to mine, as the memory of fighting that hosing still haunts me.

Peter B wrote:

What did help was using a plumbers type silicone lubricant and heating the hose end to be put on with a hairdryer.
A hair dryer is better than nothing but to really get the hose pliable and easy to work with use a heat gun.* You have to be careful not to damage the hose but it will take much more heat than a hair dryer can put out.* A heat gun is the tool of choice with the shipwrghts we've talked to about dealing with plumbing.* We recently had to install a new diverter valve in the discharge line from the aft head and what could have been an almost impossible job became a frustrating but doable job with the heat gun.

PG,
Hope it all goes well.
Now that I have removed my engine I am contemplating doing the exact same thing.
Actually ordered an Electrosan from Defender today(best price I could find) should be delivered to Aus in about 8 days.

I presently have a 90 lt holding tank (22Gal) may try and squeeze a bigger one in while I have the floor of the wheelhouse up. So when I get home I'll have to measure up along with the Electrosan and see what I can fit.

Make sure when you fit your tank you *leave enough room for future fitting of an Electrosan or similar treatment system.
The Green police are comming and treatment systems will most likely become compulsory all over the place.

Some time ago I fitted a system that injected liquid chlorine but really it has not been successful, no matter how much ventilation I have been able to get into the tank it still smells like s**t.
I think Raritan make the most compact and successful one around (no I don't have shares in the Co.)

Have fun.
Benn

-- Edited by Tidahapah on Saturday 20th of November 2010 04:26:08 AM

I would recommend using KY jelly instead of silicone to fit hoses.

Maybe that explains why we had the KY Jelly "Party Barge" cruising up and down the Tchefuncte River at the recent Wooden Boat Festival. No kidding! Complete with huge stereo, a shiny pole and dancing girls. I don't seem to remember any mention of "Great for installing stubborn hoses!"......

So far so good! Old tank is out. On lunch break and shopping run.

Thanks for the well wishes and stories. KY it shall be!!

Thanks for the update- it's gonna be a great improvement to make!

Peter

If it is a turtle pack you will have the pleasure of replacing it some day

Allan

I know. Thanks for that Allan - not. Maybe I'll try K-Y gel next time - not as if it's unknown to me.....so I have got it. No you dirty minded people, because I'm a quack, not a s******t. Really........Oh yeah...and a heat gun, tho on Hi, that hair dryer put out quite a bit - nearly melted the end.* But yeah, a heat gun would be better.* Thanks Marin.

-- Edited by Peter B on Sunday 21st of November 2010 05:12:53 AM

We did it!! Mostly... It is up and running but we still need to figure out where we are going to put the macerator and hook that back up. For now the outlet for the macerator is capped off.

It took us about five hours plus one shopping trip--west marine and a hardware store. There wasn't too much swearing and only one minor injury. My husband did most of the work as once we got a floor support out of the way he was able to reach in pretty well. If something required actually squeezing all the way back in there I did that. Like scrubbing all the crap off the shelf once the old one was out. It had been leaking. NASTY. glad we got that outta there.

I took photos and will post some later.

Thanks for the advice! The hair dryer and the lube worked great!

Instead of a macerator try the Dometic/Sealand*bellows discharge pump.* You can run it dry and are self priming.* You can install it above the tank.**<a href="http://www.sealandtechnology.com/productpages.asp?pid=70">

http://www.sealandtechnology.com/productpages.asp?pid=70</a>

Remember, don't bite your finger nails.

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
La Cruz, Nayarit, MX

Larry M wrote:

Instead of a macerator try the Dometic/Sealand*bellows discharge pump.* You can run it dry and are self priming.* You can install it above the tank.**<a href="http://www.sealandtechnology.com/productpages.asp?pid=70">

http://www.sealandtechnology.com/productpages.asp?pid=70</a>

Remember, don't bite your finger nails.

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
La Cruz, Nayarit, MX

Since we have the macerator we'll put it back, at least for now. We aren't likely to use it so we aren't too worried about it. Ultimately I'd like an Electra San in the aft head. Maybe in a couple of years. Also fresh water flush heads. But of course the wish list is long.
smile.gif

If you do need another discharge pump, I too recommend the Sealand pump.
I've had both, the Sealand is far better - 10 yrs now.
I had a spare macerator and decided against it and glad I did.

I also have an electronic cooking timer which I set when I turn on the discharge pump so I don't forget to turn it off. Can't hear the pump over the engine but i can hear the timer.

C lectric wrote:

I also have an electronic cooking timer which I set when I turn on the discharge pump so I don't forget to turn it off. Can't hear the pump over the engine but i can hear the timer.
Inexpensive wind up timers like the ones for bathroom fans work well too.* Set it and forget it.* As for Lectrasan's, my experience was none too good. I started with a new one. They are VERY voltage sensitive to low and high voltage.* I fried one computer board ($$$) when I equalized my batteries.* And despite having massive supply wires to keep the voltage up, I had a lot of trouble with the electrode pack ($$$) and got it replaced under warranty once. They recommend flushing with acid to fix the plates, and I followed the directions exactly.* They got better for a while, but then another control board went bad.* I replaced it again and the unit worked fine until I discovered one day that one of the mixer motors was loose, and when the unit was cycled, it spun until the wires stopped it.* Turns out the mounting screws were corroded out.* That was it, I ripped the thing out (after swearing to my wife I would fix it).* Well, when I took it apart it clearly needed a new motor($$$)* So,* I'll make you a good deal on one that about 4 years old, and has a lot of new parts, but needs a motor.............Arctictraveller

-- Edited by Arctic Traveller on Sunday 21st of November 2010 08:25:31 PM

Arctic Traveller wrote:

* So,* I'll make you a good deal on one that about 4 years old, and has a lot of new parts, but needs a motor.............Arctictraveller
Hmm maybe I'll see how htings go with the new tank before I change anything else!

Jennifer

Don't forget to put a valve on the discharge port of the tank in case the pump packs it in and you need to change it with a full tank

Allan

AllanY wrote:

Jennifer

Don't forget to put a valve on the discharge port of the tank in case the pump packs it in and you need to change it with a full tank

Allan
Bugger.!.... oh wait...no, it's ok.* I have a Jabsco Y valve upstream of the pump for diverting to the deck pump out.* That woud do the same job.....thank goodness.

The best waste pumps I have seen are the Galley Maid.

In 120V with a water line to slurry better they seem to run for decades.

AllanY wrote:

Jennifer

Allan
I could just use the pump out so no need for a valve???* They each have their own top mounted discharge port.

Pineapple Girl wrote:
I could just use the pump out so no need for a valve???* They each have their own top mounted discharge port.

That would work, but lets say you are*working on the pump,*if you have the valve, you can still use the head.* With out the valve you'll be using a bucket till the pump is fixed.

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
La Cruz, Nayarit, MX

Larry M wrote:

Pineapple Girl wrote:
That would work, but lets say you are*working on the pump,*if you have the valve, you can still use the head.* With out the valve you'll be using a bucket till the pump is fixed.

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
La Cruz, Nayarit, MX
Hmm I guess I am not following.** The discharge outlets are on the top of the tank so require something to suck the waste out, it isn't just going to run out.* Right now the macerator is not connected and the outlet is capped off.** I can do the same again if I ever needed to disconnect the macerator to work on it???* I doubt we will ever use the macerator anyway.* We are only bothering to hook it back up "because it is there."

Pineapple Girl wrote:

Larry M wrote:

Pineapple Girl wrote:

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
La Cruz, Nayarit, MX
Hmm I guess I am not following.** The discharge outlets are on the top of the tank so require something to suck the waste out, it isn't just going to run out.* Right now the macerator is not connected and the outlet is capped off.** I can do the same again if I ever needed to disconnect the macerator to work on it???* I doubt we will ever use the macerator anyway.* We are only bothering to hook it back up "because it is there."

My mistake.* I didn't realise the outlet for your macerator is at the top of the tank.*
Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
La Cruz, Nayarit, MX*

Back
Top Bottom