Impressive Desolation Sound Flyover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have it on good authority these are all unused backplate scenes that were shot in New Zealand for the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies. Somebody pirated these out takes and keyed Desolation Sound placenames over them. The giveaway is the blue sky.

I have it on good authority these are all unused backplate scenes that were shot in New Zealand for the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies. Somebody pirated these out takes and keyed Desolation Sound placenames over them. The giveaway is the blue sky.

Sorry, Marin, that won't work. The word is out. The place will be absolutely overrun with cruising boats now.:D

It's much uglier by water. Better to just keep away. I hear the intercoastal on the East coast is prettier.

Sorry, Marin, that won't work. The word is out. The place will be absolutely overrun with cruising boats now.:D

Oh, I'm not too worried about that. Fuel prices have already started back up here and the word on the street has it that oil will be back up well into the $100-$150 a barrel range by summer. Then we'll get marine diesel prices back up where they should be at $5 or $6 a gallon and that will keep folks away.

Worked last time.....:)

And it will be good for new airplane sales, too.

Homfray Channel, Desolation Sound, 2012. We chartered a 40' Gulf Mariner from Desolation Sound Charters, our first bare boat charter and really the first time I operated a "big boat" solo. No danger hitting a rock in the Middle of Homfray channel. It's only 700 metres deep. Desolation Sound is a busy place in the summer months, with the warmest water temperatures in the PNW

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1424548882.540254.jpg

Prideaux Haven

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1424549140.407978.jpg

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

If you imagine that Desolation Sound will look like that video in summer, you will be very disappointed. Every anchorage will be full, with many boats running generators. Prideaux Haven will be wall to wall full of boats, almost close enough to walk to shore across the swim steps. The inner harbor in Squirrel Cove can have 50-75 boats anchored, also almost touching. Expect to meet and by passed by large boats, running fast, with large wakes.

If you imagine that Desolation Sound will look like that video in summer, you will be very disappointed. Every anchorage will be full, with many boats running generators. Prideaux Haven will be wall to wall full of boats, almost close enough to walk to shore across the swim steps. The inner harbor in Squirrel Cove can have 50-75 boats anchored, also almost touching. Expect to meet and by passed by large boats, running fast, with large wakes.

Its stuff like that which drives people above the rapids.

Larry and eye,
Yes indeed that's the reason we've never been there. Perhaps really late next fall. Before Christmas.

Have anchored in Squirl Cove and Eco Bay and was amazed at all the boats. I hope the South Sound isn't as bad as that's where we'll go first.

The time to visit is in the shoulder season, June or September. We we in Small Inlet at the end of July, around the other side of Quadra and there were only 2 other boats. Waiatt Cove, Thurston Bay off Nodales, empty in September.

Jim

Prideaux Haven late July, 2013. The Great Gathering of the Dinghies.

Attachments

• 2013BoatTrip 108x.jpg
    2013BoatTrip 108x.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 153
Oh, I'm not too worried about that. Fuel prices have already started back up here and the word on the street has it that oil will be back up well into the $100-$150 a barrel range by summer. Then we'll get marine diesel prices back up where they should be at $5 or $6 a gallon and that will keep folks away.

Worked last time.....:)

And it will be good for new airplane sales, too.

yes but remember they start the free fuel giveaway this week

oh and the really cool thing is no anchors are needed

Marin was quoted saying "I'm not too worried about that".

What is "that" and where is whatever you are referring to? Don't see any other post on this thread by siestakey.

Don't see oil coming back up that fast but oil's always been a loose canon so who knows. I think it will take two or three times that long but I'm just a guesser re oil ....... like everyone else. But I just saw something on GPS (Global Public Square) ....... a book. The Accedential Super Power by Peter Zeiham. Freed Zackaria just had an interview w Mr Zeiham. Seems he really has a handle on this oil situation. But that's not what the book's about. It's about geography and our huge advantage in the world in this regard.

Tonic,
That's awful. Even worse than Lake Union.

JDCAVE,
Thanks.

Last edited:
Marin was quoted saying "I'm not too worried about that".

What is "that" and where is whatever you are referring to? Don't see any other post on this thread by siestakey.

Don't see oil coming back up that fast but oil's always been a loose canon so who knows. I think it will take two or three times that long but I'm just a guesser re oil ....... like everyone else. But I just saw something on GPS (Global Public Square) ....... a book. The Accedential Super Power by Peter Zeiham. Freed Zackaria just had an interview w Mr Zeiham. Seems he really has a handle on this oil situation. But that's not what the book's about. It's about geography and our huge advantage in the world in this regard.

Tonic,

JDCAVE,
Thanks.

Well you're welcome but I'm not sure what for :). On the subject of oil prices, I do wonder if this is all about manipulation of the markets by the US and the Saudis, as it's probably the most effective sanction there is against both ISL and Russia. Don't think it's a coincidence at all.

Jim

JDCAVE,
Your last post .. at that point .. #14

Re the oil Perhaps that's probably a factor a but coincidence? We're at Barn's & Noble now about to ask for the aforementioned book by Mr Zeiham. I was very impressed w him in the interview. As to manipulation I doubt economic forces would allow it. Just my opinion.
In college I read much on the subject of "what made America great". A very interesting subject. Mr Zeiham says it's geography. In college the leading theory was the frontier. But that is highly linked to geography. We have two geography majors in the family. I could easily have been the third.

Tonic,

I posted that in keeping with the tone of the thread but it was actually not a bad experience at all. We anchored in a nice free swinging spot-with-a-view with few boats close by. For the 3 nights we were there I would guesstimate no more than 40 boats in the whole haven including Melanie cove. Not empty, but it didn't seem that crowded, although I'm sure it can get that way at times. There were a few rafts of boats just outside the entrance and a couple of 100+' yachts also were anchored outside.

Only a couple of hours after dropping our hook a lady stopped by in her dinghy to hand us, and every other boat, an invitation to a live concert the following evening. It was off the swim step of an 80' OA, only for an hour, and was BYOB & D (dinghy). I'm not usually one for crowds, but it was a hoot rafting up with maybe 40 dinghies and sundry floating things. All in all the concert enhanced our memory of our only trip, so far, to Prideaux Haven.

But, to sum up, horrible place, constant rain and crowds. Stay away!

Attachments

• 2013BoatTrip 098x.jpg
    2013BoatTrip 098x.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 2013BoatTrip 093x.jpg
    2013BoatTrip 093x.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 2013BoatTrip 103x.jpg
    2013BoatTrip 103x.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 128
The PNW looks like Maine on steroids. But you can't boat in Maine comfortably except in summer. i.e. August 1st.

Back
Top Bottom